PDA

View Full Version : Nutting up and doing my head and timing belt will need help !!!

thermostate82
02-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Ok so I will be posting my work here and getting info from you all. To start I have a 2000 1.8t fwd. 155xxx. The head gasket blew and i dont really want to spend the money on a rebuild so I bought this on ebay
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjE0WDk2NQ==/z/cskAAOxy66pRu4ey/$T2eC16FHJHIFFhbvHbVCBRu4eyG!ww~~60_12.JPG. What i need to know is how many teeth does the belt need to be, what is the name of the head bolt tool , and what size torque to use to put the car in service postion. I figure if i do these jobs my self i can save 1500$. Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTUzWDgyMw==/z/0kYAAMXQWzNSgAIz/$_12.JPG

nynoah
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
You can get all the specialty tools you need here Example, I think you need a poly drive deep socket for the head bolts.

http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm

I suggest going to Harbor Freight (HF) and buying a torx socket set. You can spend more money on snapon, craftsman or others but I have had good results out of their allen head and torx socket sets at HF.

thermostate82
02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
I bought the poly drive from ecs as well as all my other things. Im just getting the rest of the tools from o'reillys. (torque sockets)...

crazyquik22023
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Why did you buy a new cylinder head if your headgasket blew? Am I missing something? Did you overheat really bad and warp the head? You need a t-45 for the service carrier bolts (and its called torx not torque, just an FYI), you can buy a full timing belt kit for about $200 that includes water pump as well from ECS, ebay, etc. I'm not sure the number of teeth on the belt but like I said it's cheap enough to buy the full kit. Tips: Mark crank sprocket with white out or paint after you align cam sprocket and before you take belt off, when putting the belt on put it on crank pulley last, put it on all the sprockets only about 1/2 way until you get it around everyone, and leave tensioner bolt a little bit loose until belt is on. Replace coolant flange while head is off, be careful removing turbo mounting bolts, make sure headgasket is on the correct way.

thermostate82
02-13-2014, 09:04 PM
thanks guys. I threw a hail mary last night and called my mech. and asked him how much if I bought all the parts and just pay for labor and he got back at me with 900 for it all so I am going that route!Rather have someone else do it then myself. less stressed out and dont need to buy the tools!

nynoah
02-13-2014, 11:47 PM
thanks guys. I threw a hail mary last night and called my mech. and asked him how much if I bought all the parts and just pay for labor and he got back at me with 900 for it all so I am going that route!Rather have someone else do it then myself. less stressed out and dont need to buy the tools!

That is a good choice. Screw up a timing belt and things go expensive boom.

thermostate82
02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I just took the oil cooler off and looked at the hoses. Looks like the previous owner new about the bad head gasket and just used some quickstop. It's all over the hoses and on the stems of the cooler. I just learned a lesson [mad]