PDA

View Full Version : Worth it at this point to do a timing belt or money pit?

a4937
02-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I have a 99 2.8Q A4, 142k miles. Car had a new engine at 63k. Timing belt is coming up soon, thermostat needs done but will things keep coming up at this point? It's 15 years old, I've had it I think 9 years and have only driven about 48k miles. Already planning to get a new car, but would like a backup and the A4 is great in snow.

cschuster
02-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Sell it, and use the extra few thousand for a down payment on a newer s4?

walky_talky20
02-11-2014, 03:21 PM
It's going to start leaking oil out of everywhere in about 10k miles. Unless it already is.

Do you happen to have Vag-Com (VCDS)?

a4937
02-11-2014, 06:17 PM
I have one of the cheaper vag com's off of ebay.

It's not worth selling. Exterior is in real bad shape, cruise doesn't work, cel for secondary air injection pump

walky_talky20
02-12-2014, 05:25 AM
Cruise and SAI aren't bad to fix.

pac1085
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a 99 2.8Q A4, 142k miles. Car had a new engine at 63k. Timing belt is coming up soon, thermostat needs done but will things keep coming up at this point? It's 15 years old, I've had it I think 9 years and have only driven about 48k miles. Already planning to get a new car, but would like a backup and the A4 is great in snow.

you could just drive it into the ground if you're ok with taking the chance.

walky_talky20
02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
This is true. The 30v engine is not one to require an "OMG, Emergency engine change", like the 1.8T has a reputation for. It pretty much soldiers on. The tiptronic trans is also reasonably good, as long as the fluid is changed at least every 60k.

If the car is in good condition (ie: no laundry list of stuff that is piling up), than you're probably good. There will be parts changing: control arm here, wheel bearing there, probably a fuel pump at an inopportune time. And it will absolutely cost you more to keep on the road than a CamCord. But if you're ok with that, then you're reasonably safe up to at least 200k.

a4937
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
This is true. The 30v engine is not one to require an "OMG, Emergency engine change", like the 1.8T has a reputation for. It pretty much soldiers on. The tiptronic trans is also reasonably good, as long as the fluid is changed at least every 60k.

If the car is in good condition (ie: no laundry list of stuff that is piling up), than you're probably good. There will be parts changing: control arm here, wheel bearing there, probably a fuel pump at an inopportune time. And it will absolutely cost you more to keep on the road than a CamCord. But if you're ok with that, then you're reasonably safe up to at least 200k.

Thanks! I just did a wheel bearing last fall and all front control arms were done a few years ago. I spent a lot more this past year than I have the previous few combined. Front tires, wheel bearing, some exhaust work which was my fault "accident", drive belt broke on me last Spring, thermostat needs done now which isn't a big deal since timing belt does as well.

Suggestion for what would fix the cruise control? It hasn't worked well for several years but every once in a great while it would work, but only for a few minutes. I didn't know what to change and didn't want to just start changing things that may or may not fix it. I'm no mechanic by any means but I try to do whatever I can myself.

Mad Cow
02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Usually it's a solder joint or two inside the cruise control module that's gone bad. The module is located behind the glovebox to the left a bit IIRC, pop it open and reflow the solder anywhere where it looks like it might be cracked.

Believer
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
It sounds like you've already done a good bit to it so doing the timing belt seems logical. If it were me and I wanted to keep it for winter use and rely on it for that, I wouldn't want to risk it.

OldAudiA4
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks! I just did a wheel bearing last fall and all front control arms were done a few years ago. I spent a lot more this past year than I have the previous few combined. Front tires, wheel bearing, some exhaust work which was my fault "accident", drive belt broke on me last Spring, thermostat needs done now which isn't a big deal since timing belt does as well.

Suggestion for what would fix the cruise control? It hasn't worked well for several years but every once in a great while it would work, but only for a few minutes. I didn't know what to change and didn't want to just start changing things that may or may not fix it. I'm no mechanic by any means but I try to do whatever I can myself.

When my cruise control stopped working, it turned out to be the wires that connect to the clutch and brake pedal had come loose.