PDA

View Full Version : Raising the rear end a bit

Mad Cow
02-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I've got H&R race springs and Bilstein sports as it says in my sig, but I can't shake the feeling that the rear end rides a bit too low. Back when I had a 30v it was fine, but it seems the lighter 1.8t has raised the front a bit. My struts have 2 options for the height of the spring perch, my fronts are at the low one and my rears are at the higher one. I only need to go up a couple mm at most in the back so I was thinking of making some spacers out of hockey pucks or something. My issue is I don't think they'll last very long seeing as I'll have to drill out the middle and only leave a ring as wide as the spring perch, and I have no idea how I'm going to go about cutting them to fit either. Has anyone done something similar, or is there a better option? Don't tell me to just get coils, I'm very happy with this setup and I don't have the cash to buy a $1k set of coils, and I'm definitely not going to buy $300 coils that'll last one winter before rusting and falling apart.

Bordom
02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Should have got the lowering springs for the 1.8. Unless you had those on from before, in which case you can trade the front springs for a new set designed for the 1.8

CANaudi
02-11-2014, 01:00 PM
What about the ECS Tuning coil over kit? http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Suspension/Coilovers/ECS_Tuning/

They are designed to work with aftermarket struts, such as Bilstein, to raise or lower the ride height. I'm also looking to raise my rear end a bit in the spring and considering these as a viable option (I'm also running Bilstein sport and H&R Race).

Mad Cow
02-11-2014, 01:04 PM
H&R only has 1 set of springs for the B5 A4, so no dice there. I looked at the ECS kit back when I put these springs in 2 years ago and they were on backorder, I checked every once in a while and they were always on backorder so I'm not sure they'll ever have them in stock. Plus my rear perches are seriously stuck, I've tried everything I have in my arsenal and they wouldn't budge.

Scientist
02-11-2014, 01:11 PM
What about the ECS Tuning coil over kit? http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Suspension/Coilovers/ECS_Tuning/

They are designed to work with aftermarket struts, such as Bilstein, to raise or lower the ride height. I'm also looking to raise my rear end a bit in the spring and considering these as a viable option (I'm also running Bilstein sport and H&R Race).

Dang!! Nice to know. This spring I'm installing Bilsteins Sport and ST springs that are to lower the car by 1.25" I believe. If they are too low (for my taste) then there is an alternative.

CANaudi
02-11-2014, 01:13 PM
I'd reach out to ECS via email or perhaps on of their reps on the forum can notify you when they're in stock.

As for the perches, I'd take them to the shop to remove and continue the remainder of the install yourself (if you're looking to DIY). Shops have the right tools and I'm sure they wouldn't charge you much to remove. I haven't attempted to remove mine either, so I may be in the same boat.

I've also found a DIY for the B6 that is pretty informative. I assume the process is more or less the same. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/519523-B6-A4-Avant-ECS-Coilover-Sleeve-install-and-review

CANaudi
02-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Dang!! Nice to know. This spring I'm installing Bilsteins Sport and ST springs that are to lower the car by 1.25" I believe. If they are too low (for my taste) then there is an alternative.

I believe the ST springs for the B5 drop the height by 1.2'', which is quite subtle from stock. If anything, I would suggest the ST coilovers instead of the Bilstein/ST combo. You'll end up paying more in the end and have to redo your suspension if you decide to use the ECS kit to lower or raise the height after the fact (which is exactly what the ST coilovers are designed for). If I'm not mistaken, you can get the ST coilover kit for approx. $760 shipped brand new.

Scientist
02-12-2014, 07:41 AM
I believe the ST springs for the B5 drop the height by 1.2'', which is quite subtle from stock. If anything, I would suggest the ST coilovers instead of the Bilstein/ST combo. You'll end up paying more in the end and have to redo your suspension if you decide to use the ECS kit to lower or raise the height after the fact (which is exactly what the ST coilovers are designed for). If I'm not mistaken, you can get the ST coilover kit for approx. $760 shipped brand new.

Thanks but already have the shocks and the springs. Besides, I'm counting on that "subtle" drop. Not too much.

CANaudi
02-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks but already have the shocks and the springs. Besides, I'm counting on that "subtle" drop. Not too much.

Awesome - post up pics after they're installed and settled. I'd like to see how the ST's springs look on the B5.

Scientist
02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Will do. I'm just waiting for Spring weather.