PDA

View Full Version : Possible Part Out - Canada

esee135
02-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Any interest if I part out a 1998 B5 A4 1.8QTM in Canada? The going sales price in my area is not all that hot, and the car insurance is damn near the price of the car every year. It drives like new, but good luck finding a buyer, and I'm on the edge of selling it as is or parting it out.

- AEB head (engine has 272,000km, the head would probably be an ok core for a rebuild)
- working factory injectors
- intake manifold, port matched and blended to cylinder head.
- engine pulley tensioners, main serpentine and lower, relatively new.
- Working alternator, starter motor
- Interior is black leatherette, mint with exception to the front driver seat, but front passenger seat is minty. Trust me, a minty front seat is damn near impossible to find. Door panels in great condition as well as head liner etc.
- All air bags intact.
- A8 front brake setup
- factory rear calipers and rotors < 50k on them
- Red Top TFSI coil conversion with 034 spacers
- Working throttle body, drive by cable
- hood, fenders, trunk, rear doors in great condition, passenger door front good condition, driver front door in okay condition
- front and rear bumpers in nice condition, as are the little grill pieces.
- ABS controller recently rebuilt
- ST Coilover Suspension

Almost a shame to part this one out, but when there's no market to sell in, I'd rather part it out to other B5 owners struggling to find good parts for our cult following, and it's even tougher running a 16 year old B5 in Canada where you get killed by the border taxes and bad shipping prices.

Corrado_Guy
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Where do you live where there is such a glut in the market, let's face it Canada is a pretty big place. I live in Canada and pay $1,300 - $1,400 a year for insurance for full coverage and these cars go for $4,000 - $7,000 with some higher or lower than that range. I live on the West coast so there are a lot of autos here so manuals are snapped up pretty quickly. I don't know if you could make more selling it in parts or as a whole but it would be cool if you could sell it whole. Have you put ads on local forums and things like Craigs List to get the car out there?

esee135
02-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm out in Manitoba. No one is interested in buying a 270000+km car here, and I face the fact that I don't feel like dealing with bargain hunters. Once sold an engine for half the asking price of the salvage yard with only 80k on it, ended having to sell it for half of what I was asking to get it out of my garage after 3 months of advertising ....Manitoba, home of the bargain hunter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xthealienatorx
02-11-2014, 06:24 AM
How much on the coilovers and how many miles on them? Shipped to 40175. And also, what colour is the headliner and pillars?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

ray4624
02-11-2014, 06:49 AM
I'd be interested in the coil conversion. What route did you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanf86
02-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm out in Manitoba. No one is interested in buying a 270000+km car here, and I face the fact that I don't feel like dealing with bargain hunters. Once sold an engine for half the asking price of the salvage yard with only 80k on it, ended having to sell it for half of what I was asking to get it out of my garage after 3 months of advertising ....Manitoba, home of the bargain hunter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

How much are you looking to get for the car? My buddy's on the hunt for a decent b5 and we're in Winnipeg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Corrado_Guy
02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
How much are you looking to get for the car? My buddy's on the hunt for a decent b5 and we're in Winnipeg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I knew there had to be someone who would want it. You would really need to figure out what you could sell the whole car for and then what you could make parting it. Parting doesn't happen quickly in most cases so expect the car to be around for a while as you strip it down. If you don't have local buyers then with the Internet you sell online and ship.