PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake DIY

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi guys, is there any DIY cold air intake that some has done? I want to do on my car,but just cant get any ideas how to do it.. Pics would be great if some has... Thanks

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
There are so many it's ridiculous. With or without a heatshield, 1.8t and 2.8, different filter locations, it's all been discussed and documented ad nauseum.

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Are they easy to do? Does that gona affect maf sensor,i read some posts where apparently MAF sensor start playing up for some reason?

AudiB5owner
02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Before you start getting some tough love replies, it is highly recommended to do research by using the search function. This topic is covered heavily.

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Yea i know there r so many different ways to do it, just need the easy way to do.... Thats all.... Its hard to find here in australia parts for audi cars,APR is selling carbonio or what ever name is for $595 .... Thats crazy..... Ill rather try do something my self than paying that money....

fed0ra
02-10-2014, 01:10 PM
REmove stock airbox, put a cone filter on the end of the MAF and either buy a heatshield like the Blinktek or build your own out of sheet metal. Done. And for best results use an aftermarket silicone or aluminum TIP instead of the stock rubber one.

MetalMan
02-10-2014, 01:11 PM
What is your goal with a "cold air intake"?
Technically the stock intake is a "cold air intake" because it only pulls air from outside the engine bay.

REmove stock airbox, put a cone filter on the end of the MAF and either buy a heatshield like the Blinktek or build your own out of sheet metal. Done. And for best results use an aftermarket silicone or aluminum TIP instead of the stock rubber one.

Just to add, this is technically not a "cold air intake", even with a heatshield, since the air does not necessarily come directly from outside the car where the air is colder.

fed0ra
02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Oh and stay away from K&N filters. They are solid filters but the oil will wreck your MAF. I ran a K&N filter on mine for a while thinking "it can't be THAT bad" but I had to replace the sensor (even after replacing it with an AEM dry filter) because I had to clean it every week just to get it to work reasonably well. Replaced the MAF with a new (well, used, but new to me) sensor and haven't had any issues since.

Long story short, go with something that isn't oiled (AEM makes a solid filter).

fed0ra
02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Just to add, this is technically not a "cold air intake", even with a heatshield, since the air does not necessarily come directly from outside the car where the air is colder.

True, but when people ask for a CAI DIY they generally mean "how can I run a cone filter intake".

And to add to this, the intake most likely did NOTHING for my performance, but I dig the sound, I like the extra space in the engine bay and it made removing the "airbox" easier when I have to mess around on that side of the engine bay. But OP, don't expect this to add any power.

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
I just like to hear sound of the engine. And so i can hear DV,cos thats what APR write on their carbonio ontake... That you can hear DV ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fed0ra
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I just like to hear sound of the engine. And so i can hear DV,cos thats what APR write on their carbonio ontake... That you can hear DV ..

If thats what you are after then the method I posted will work perfectly for you. Its pretty important that you install a heat shield when you do it, though, especially in hotter climates. I, like a fool, put off installing a heat shield (Blinktek wasn't making them for a while and I was too lazy to cut up a piece of sheet metal to make my own [:D]) and my IATs were through the roof. After installing the blinktek and adding on some extra heat reflective tape it made a huge difference. That and keeping the intake snorkel installed so you can still feed cold air to the filter.

Scientist
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Just get a slightly bigger turbo. I promise you will hear your engine loud and clear. And your DV. And your air intake...

BTW, I'm still running my OEM airbox with an H&N slide in filter.

Spend your money wisely, grasshopper.

Cgoon009
02-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Run Oil-less filters, to protect the MAF.
Build the heatshield because why bother otherwise
Understand that your stock air box is good for about 300hp
Use quality connections and hardware for lasting results
Buy heat tape for the heat shield

here is mine, did it purely for a deeper exhaust note:

http://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/dsc_0665.jpg

http://cleanaudi.com/2013/09/25/sucking-air-the-cai-project/

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Anyone done that swiss cheese mode? Where can i find pics of diy? Im just a bit scared not to stuff up MAF sensor.

RoadRage
02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
It's under engine and mechanical DIYs here you go fuck face. (http://www.audidiy.com/b5a4.html)

AudiB5owner
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I ran a K&N oiled panel filter a long time ago and reoiling it is what actually did the MAF damage. I now run a generic Spectre Cone Filter that was preoiled. I let it dry for a week before I installed it and no problems so far. I also bought a cheap dry cone filter off of eBay but the rubber grommet it came with was of poor quality and could have used some black silicone sealant.

If you look in the airbox under the panel filter, there may be a spring loaded flap. My 01 AWM had one. I removed it and it allowed for more turbo sound.

If attaching a cone filter without a heat shield, it will suck in a lot of hot air and absorb all the ambient heat from the turbo and exhaust +mani. Even with a heatshield, my cone filter can get warm. But in all reality, almost all of the cooling occurs at the intercooler, with pressurized temps of over 300F leaving the turbo itself, dropping down dramatically to ~100F +/- 20 by the time it enters the engine.
The cone filter is only for noise, and without a heat shield it is for heat soaking your SMIC 20x faster lol

RallyeBourne
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
It's under engine and mechanical DIYs here you go fuck face. (http://www.audidiy.com/b5a4.html)

I'm sorry, but that's funny! Some might say a little rude, but still funny as hell!! :up:

Zaki84
02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Not rude,smartass....

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Don't forget that you can't have the MAF directly after the filter, you need at the very least a couple inches of straight piping to stabilize the air flow.