PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problems

CMDonham
02-09-2014, 11:17 AM
98 Quattro
I was driving down the highway and I tried shifting from 4th to 5th and I got locked out of 5th gear, then I tried going back into 4th gear, got locked out of 4th. I had to force it into 3rd and drove in 3rd until an off ramp. When I stopped I couldn't get into 1st, although I can rev match to get it into 1st gear, and second was a PITA to shift into. Once I got home I tried putting the car in reverse and I can get it into that gear either. When the car is not turned on I can get it into all the gears, but once it's turned on I can't shift into first or reverse. I just changed out my slave cylinder and bleed the lines, what else could the problem be?

Corrado_Guy
02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
To me it sounds like a dying/dead clutch, or a bad slave/master cylinder, or air in the line. Try pumping the crap out of the clutch and see if you can get it into gear this way.

CMDonham
02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I just tried pumping the clutch and I still couldn't get it into first or reverse, and all the other gears are a PITA to get into. You think it might be the master cylinder, the guy I bought it from said that the clutch was just replaced but when I was driving it home when I got locked out of the gears it had a horrible burning clutch smell. He also said to maybe check the transmission fluid.

walky_talky20
02-09-2014, 02:10 PM
It's not de-coupling properly. So you've got 3 possible problems:

1 - Hydraulics. The master, slave, line, or fluid is causing a problem such that it isn't pushing the slave rod far enough to fully de-couple.
2 - Clutch parts. Clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch fork, or throwout bearing has failed such that it will not decouple given proper slave rod actuation. For instance, clutch disc material is falling apart, or is fused to the flywheel.
3 - Pilot bearing is locked up. Even though the clutch disc is decoupling, the input shaft stays coupled to the flywheel due to a failed pilot bearing.

Option 1 is the only failure that doesn't require pulling the transmission to fix. So I would investigate that first. Your gear oil doesn't have anything to do with it.

CMDonham
02-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Thank you very much, hopefully I won't have to replace the clutch