PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Options

LaCross
02-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Hello, All

So i have my engine out of my car and as you all know, there's no better time to swap out that dinky k03 for something a little better

The problem im having right now is nobody on this green earth seems to be selling a used K04 or Frankenturbo (I've been searching on AZ, AF, Vortex, Ebay, CL, ect) all week

So my question is, if I have to buy a new one, are there any options cheaper than Frankenturbo and a Brand new BW k04? I could buy a new FT kit if i really need to, but $1k is kinda steep for just a turbo, manifold, and inlet

nynoah
02-09-2014, 09:22 AM
You will need a tune for a new turbo too. What year is your car?

zandrew
02-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Its actually a good deal. You can cut some cost by not getting the manifold. I've never considered it to be beneficial since the elim kits don't come with one and they make power. I'd go with an elim personally if you could find one.

What do you have the motor pulled for?

nynoah
02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
This user has a rebuilt K04 and other things and is considering moving up to a franken turbo because he is doing rods and other stuff. He has not listed it for sale or said its for sale but he is talking about bigger turbos in his thread. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/579011-99-aeb-058-block-k04-build-pc-16

LaCross
02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry guys, its a 99 AEB engine. Im actually putting a lower mileage engine in it, due to my old one bending its valves. Slappy himself said that it's perfectly fine to use the FT on a stock tune. Just a MBC set to very low boost is required until i get a tune.

Also, i absolutely NEED to have the turbo in my possession by friday the latest

redline380
02-09-2014, 11:12 AM
but $1k is kinda steep for just a turbo, manifold, and inlet

It actually isn't that expensive at all. Cheapest option besides ebay junk or used stuff

LaCross
02-09-2014, 11:19 AM
It actually isn't that expensive at all. Cheapest option besides ebay junk or used stuff

Well yea. For what im getting it isnt too much, but $1k is a lot of money in any respect

nynoah
02-09-2014, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Also, i absolutely NEED to have the turbo in my possession by friday the latest[/QUOTE]

Be prepared to pay for over night shipping and order what ever you want from whom ever on monday.

Mad Cow
02-09-2014, 11:27 AM
The cheapest option would be to buy an ebay turbo and get it rebuilt by a reputable shop, it won't be up to OEM BW specs but it should last at least a couple years without issues.

nynoah
02-09-2014, 11:30 AM
The cheapest option would be to buy an ebay turbo and get it rebuilt by a reputable shop, it won't be up to OEM BW specs but it should last at least a couple years without issues.

This is bad advice. Do not buy an ebay turbo. The metal is vastly inferior and they grenade. A turbo that grenades will cost you a lot of money because that metal will go places that you don't want it to.

zandrew
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
This is bad advice. Do not buy an ebay turbo. The metal is vastly inferior and they grenade. A turbo that grenades will cost you a lot of money because that metal will go places that you don't want it to.

FT turbos use Chinese parts. They do NOT use Borg Warner parts. The difference is in the build quality, quality control, and balance of the turbo. You would be surprised how many companies buy imported parts. Actually I only know 1 company that does not and they are special order in the US.

Pick up the phone and call the turbo companies you know that are majorly used on ths forum and be ready to have your mouth hit he floor. I will go ahead and tell you now the only company I know that does not use imported parts no one on this forum has one that I know of.

LaCross
02-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Be prepared to pay for over night shipping and order what ever you want from whom ever on monday.

I've ordered things from ECS wednesday afternoon and had them by Friday. This shouldn't be necessary

nynoah
02-09-2014, 12:25 PM
FT turbos use Chinese parts. They do NOT use Borg Warner parts. The difference is in the build quality, quality control, and balance of the turbo. You would be surprised how many companies buy imported parts. Actually I only know 1 company that does not and they are special order in the US.

Pick up the phone and call the turbo companies you know that are majorly used on ths forum and be ready to have your mouth hit he floor. I will go ahead and tell you now the only company I know that does not use imported parts no one on this forum has one that I know of.

China makes a lot of stuff, I know. But not all is the same even when the look the same. Metallurgy matters a lot and many times you can not tell that by looking at; a part may look like has good metal and infact does not. I trust a company with a good reputation to have a reputable source. I do not trust an ebay seller for a Chinese turbo.

LaCross
02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Well, I think ill be buying a frankenturbo tomorrow. As long as nobody miraculously has a used one to sell me. I'm not particularly happy about dumping so much money, but hey. It is a quality product with great customer support

thenj3
02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
no offense but if you think a grand is alot of money I'm not really sure what you are doing driving an Audi. But on another note the Frankenturbo is a great setup, install a MBC set to 8psi till you can get a tune and turn it up.

LaCross
02-09-2014, 09:55 PM
That's the plan! I want to do some more maintenance first (fuel filter and stuff). The only reason I'm doing a turbo now is because it's so easy.

kraylon
02-09-2014, 11:30 PM
I did a very similar thing when I got my franken turbo and I still had my mystery chip with my franken turbo set at 18psi like my old turbo would do it would throw it into limb mode, I think the happy place was 16psi, but limb mode may not apply to your car since you have the AEB engine and I have the AWM.

Ive had my franken turbo for 2-3 years now and I havent had any issues with the turbo best 1k I spent on my Audi
Doug at franken turbo is a great help if you have any questions or concerns.
Dave with motoaza performance is also great and I highly suggest his programming for your setup.

Seerlah
02-10-2014, 04:00 AM
My turbo alone cost more than $1,000. The FT is a damn good bargain.

zandrew
02-10-2014, 06:30 AM
China makes a lot of stuff, I know. But not all is the same even when the look the same. Metallurgy matters a lot and many times you can not tell that by looking at; a part may look like has good metal and infact does not. I trust a company with a good reputation to have a reputable source. I do not trust an ebay seller for a Chinese turbo.

You are dead on but the first thing I see people say is not buy an Ebay turbo since they are made in China. The same factory that produces low quality parts makes the high quality parts as well. They have 3 different grades of material of which 2 are Inconel which is what they are supposed to be made of.

You can take those junk ebay turbos and rebuild them with quality parts and a quality 3 stage balance and they last just as well as the FT turbos, precision, and dare I say Comp. My own personal exierence I had a ebay T3T4 I had taken care of compleely and it lasted me over 10,xxx miles and was good when I took it off and sold it. I upgraded the Compressor to a 50 trim and used the rest (including the turbine and bearing housing) and my Comp lasted less then 3500 miles and for 6 monthes at about 6psi less then the ebay Turd-blo. Just saying....

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 07:08 AM
It is pretty simple, if it is really cheap cost wise 100% it is cheaply made.

Zandew, the Comp you had was very old and was most likely produced in the very first years they opened up shop. It just sat on someones shelf for a very long time before they unloaded it to you.

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 07:52 AM

That's not always 100% true. A large portion of the cost savings to ebay stuff is the fact that they don't have to amortize any R&D costs since their R&D involves buying the part to copy it and not designing it from the ground up. They also don't have much if any marketing, distribution, QA, warranty provisions, etc. I'm not saying ebay turbos are good, I'm just saying their housings and other less critical parts aren't necessarily trash by default just because of the country of origin.

Scientist
02-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Made in China. LMAO

The fact is that most of the turbos you guys are running right now have some parts made in China.

The Chinese will manufacture whatever you ask them to manufacture, just give them the specs.

Tensile strength? Bring it on.

Compound alloys? They have an over population problem. Who cares about environmental laws.

Mad Cow is 100% correct about the R&D connection.

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
That's not always 100% true. A large portion of the cost savings to ebay stuff is the fact that they don't have to amortize any R&D costs since their R&D involves buying the part to copy it and not designing it from the ground up. They also don't have much if any marketing, distribution, QA, warranty provisions, etc. I'm not saying ebay turbos are good, I'm just saying their housings and other less critical parts aren't necessarily trash by default just because of the country of origin.

Wait so parts that need to fit correctly are less critical?

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm saying that not all components in a turbo need to be manufactured/machined/cast to the same specs, quit twisting my words. I get that you need to defend your position as a distributor for many turbo manufacturers, but there's no need to shit on anyone who so much as mentions that ebay turbos aren't Satan's own creation designed solely to rip off people. Will a rebuilt ebay turbo last as long as a "name brand"? Most likely not. But it'll cost less than half the price, so if that's the tradeoff you're willing to make then it's up to the end user to make the call.

China's economy is much too large to be supported solely on cheap knockoffs, the only real difference between a Chinese and Western factory is labour costs. It's not like their machinery and metallurgy knowledge are inherently worse because of geographical location.

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm saying that not all components in a turbo need to be manufactured/machined/cast to the same specs, quit twisting my words. I get that you need to defend your position as a distributor for many turbo manufacturers, but there's no need to shit on anyone who so much as mentions that ebay turbos aren't Satan's own creation designed solely to rip off people. Will a rebuilt ebay turbo last as long as a "name brand"? Most likely not. But it'll cost less than half the price, so if that's the tradeoff you're willing to make then it's up to the end user to make the call.

China's economy is much too large to be supported solely on cheap knockoffs, the only real difference between a Chinese and Western factory is labour costs. It's not like their machinery and metallurgy knowledge are inherently worse because of geographical location.

Twist? I was asking why housings aren't a critical part seeing they have to be machined tight to the compressor wheel and if they aren't the turbo isn't going to flow air like it should.

redline380
02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Twist? I was asking why housings aren't a critical part seeing they have to be machined tight to the compressor wheel and if they aren't the turbo isn't going to flow air like it should.

So what would you rather have? A shitty rotating assembly and good housings, or good rotating assembly and shitty housings?

I think you're smart enough to figure out that moving parts are under more stress than non-moving parts in an application such as this. You know exactly what he was getting at; you don't need to be confrontational.

zandrew
02-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Zandew, the Comp you had was very old and was most likely produced in the very first years they opened up shop. It just sat on someones shelf for a very long time before they unloaded it to you.

OH shit Mike. Damn I soooo wish I would have asked you that instead Comp and it would have saved me a shit load this nightmare has cost me. So I am guessing that since my Comp turbo was older then it is crap compared to their new stuff? HMMM... Thats funny since the Comp I have turns out to be not that old (though saying it is old is a lame ass excuse for a turbo taking a shit after 3500 miles no matter what the issue is). They have not been making the CT2RS that long after all.

I guess this would be a prime time for me to upload Earnie admitting they buy and use China made parts right?

Mike I understand you support Comp and I have no issues what so ever about that. They make a turbo comparable to Precision, BullsEye, etc. However they are using ancient Garrett turbine technology that they cleverily changed the Stage 2, stage 3, Stage 5, O trim and P trim to 52, 56, 58, 62, 65. They think that dropping one turbine blade it has made it a superior "high flow" design. It doesn't. Comp has nice Compressors and that is what makes a Comp a Comp. Thats it. Just like FP makes their own Compressors. Its no different. It kills me you push Comp so hard but you run a Garrett with FP compressor upgrade right? You know Comp would have done the same upgrade for you as well.

M-Hood
02-11-2014, 09:17 AM
OH shit Mike. Damn I soooo wish I would have asked you that instead Comp and it would have saved me a shit load this nightmare has cost me. So I am guessing that since my Comp turbo was older then it is crap compared to their new stuff? HMMM... Thats funny since the Comp I have turns out to be not that old (though saying it is old is a lame ass excuse for a turbo taking a shit after 3500 miles no matter what the issue is). They have not been making the CT2RS that long after all.

I guess this would be a prime time for me to upload Earnie admitting they buy and use China made parts right?

Mike I understand you support Comp and I have no issues what so ever about that. They make a turbo comparable to Precision, BullsEye, etc. However they are using ancient Garrett turbine technology that they cleverily changed the Stage 2, stage 3, Stage 5, O trim and P trim to 52, 56, 58, 62, 65. They think that dropping one turbine blade it has made it a superior "high flow" design. It doesn't. Comp has nice Compressors and that is what makes a Comp a Comp. Thats it. Just like FP makes their own Compressors. Its no different. It kills me you push Comp so hard but you run a Garrett with FP compressor upgrade right? You know Comp would have done the same upgrade for you as well.

Zandrew you might want to read my other post on your thread seeing the CT2RS is just a model they made up for the CT2 with a T25 housing they have been selling well before they made up the name CT2-RS. They made up that name to compare it to an actual Garrett RS seeing it was as direct swap in since at that time it used a Garret T25 housing and their version of the 3" inlet compressor housing that comes on the GT28RS. Just ask Andrew with the B5 A4 1.8t which has been running a Comp CT2-5356 with a T25 housing since early 2012 when he upgraded from his APR stage 3 Garrett turbo.

Just because they make up a new name for a part doesn't mean it was never made before that point.

When I upgraded the compressor wheel I had been running a GT35r for 10 years, upgrading the compressor wheel to the HTA86 was the quickest option(1 week turn around) without having to change a bunch of other stuff which I did not want to do and I didn't want to have to tune the car all over again. Comp does not offer compressor wheel upgrades for the Garrett GT turbo so it wasn't even an option at the time. If you think I push 1 thing over another you have no clue, but then how could you seeing you don't actually over see what I do. Fact is that the last few turbos thru my hands have been a few HTA35's, a Borgwarner EFR 7163, EFR 7064 and the brand new for 2014 Airwerks 64mm S300 turbo which I have sitting right here next to me. So yes tell me again how I only push Comp Turbo products. lol

http://px6.streetfire.net/0002/88/14/2308841_600.jpg