PDA

View Full Version : need help. switchin 2piece halogen w/ 1pc xenon headlights

lul77
08-02-2005, 07:35 AM
i did some searching but i'm still a bit confused.... i know the wiring diagram is:
Tan/White (Low Beam) –Blue Wire (2)
Yellow/White (High Beam)-Yellow Wire (1)
Brown (Ground) –Black (4)

but what i wanna know is how do i wire in the highbeams
(picture is off the one piece xenon)
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/lyndon77/DSCN1970.jpg

on my current headlights (halogen) the connector to the highbeam and lowbeam look exactly the same... but here is different and theres a set of wires that i'm not sure where to splice into (i'm reffering to the picture not to the integrated fogs on the 96-98 headlights)

SeanF
08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
im not really sure why it would be any different, thats weird.are those xenon ecodes?

lul77
08-02-2005, 07:41 AM
yes they're the stock one piece xenons w/ diy clear corners

lul77
08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
do i have to buy xenon ballasts,igniters, and bulbs? i thought i remember someone saying i could use my halogen ones

SeanF
08-02-2005, 07:46 AM
you can use your halogen what? theres not much you can use from the halogen, when switching to xenon

lul77
08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
ohh... yeh i just remembered how xenon and halogen are completely different.... i was thinking i could use my old high or lowbeam bulbs and balasts...

diegomatrix
08-02-2005, 08:06 AM
....here's what you do....

take out the xenon harness in the pic that you posted (there's two clips that hold the harness to the cover)

next, get a plier and turn your 2-piece headlight round harness...you should then be able to take it out...it'll drop into the headlights...

looking at your round piece harness from your 2-piece headlight, there's a pink clip that holds the wires in, unclip it, and then take out the fog light wire....you won't be needing it unless you plan on doing fog lights ...

next, cut into the place that held the xenon harness so that your round 2-piece headlight harness fits......

get silicon or something to seal the harness to the xenon cover....and voila....you have 2-piece headlight harnesses installed on your xenon 1-piece headlights.......

if you're installing ballasts, cut off the low beams and solder them to the ballast....

now...that wasn't too hard...was it? =)

diegomatrix
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
but if you still want to splice into your one-piece harness.......

look at the harness plug......you'll see metal tabs that plug into your car...

1 3 5 7
2 4 6 8

1 is high
2 is low
3 is city
4 is ground

and i don't think you have a use for the rest....

....so...that means...purple is high, red is low, brown is ground

SeanF
08-02-2005, 08:17 AM
no city, they are us spec...

RedRocket
08-02-2005, 08:38 AM
So you are just converting the headlamps? Are you going to retain the halogen lighting system?

The posts from diegomatrix are good. Does that help you get to where you're going?

Are the bottom of the headlamps open or closed?

lul77
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
thanx a lot digeomatrix... i just wanna use halogen in the one pieces for now... i don't wanna rush and get cheap crappy bulbs and ballasts so i'll just splice the wires for now... when i have enough money i'll get good bulbs and ballasts

lul77
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
and the bottom of the headlights are open and ready for HID

RedRocket
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
you're going to have a hell of a time installing an H7 bulb in a D2s socket not to mention, a funny beam pattern I am guessing. Are you sure you wanna do this?

And if the bottoms are open, why don't you leave the Xenon Ballast built in plug alone, and just fish the bosch(2-piece headlight) plug through the bottom?

You can then board up the bottom with something like a plastic sheet and some Automotive Goop sealer.

In the meantime you look for Valeo Ballasts that fit right onto the bottom. Bulbs you can get in many places now.

I did this exact mod with my 97 but I did it a bit differently.

Here's the link to my post (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16313)

lul77
08-03-2005, 11:19 PM
well your idea is great and all but i don't currently have $500 to burn.... i only work part time and am currently saving my cash for those insanely expensive books i'll be having to buy for next semester. but what i plan on doing is splice the wires temporarily so i can go HID in the future.