PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate Issues with Comp Turbo Technology.

zandrew
02-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Before going into the details I know that several members here run Comp turbo products. My thread is not a knock on their product just the outcome and overall general treatment in whole pertaining to my situation. I know some members are probably going to get pissy with this and thats fine.

First off I bought a Comp turbo 5552 oilless last March that was brand new and never used. I contacted Comp about the turbo as I was wondering how it would fit my application and how well the oilless option holds up. I was told then that oilless is designed more for remote mounts but it should be fine for my app though it was not its design intentions. I did not install the turbo then and waited till June to do so. Before the install I was concerned about the oilless option and contacted Comp to see if I could send the turbo to them for verification of it being new and get a warranty to cover it in case it did not hold up. In the communication (via email) I was told by Justin that if it was within 1 year from date of purchase it would be covered and as long as it is new to use it that I would be fine. So I installed it.

Once installed I did the break in exactly as told to by Comp and set my boost to 11 psi. In the 3500 miles I had it installed I boosted past 3500 once when I accidently set the high boost to 24psi. The turbo was well broke in at that time so if anything I should have damaged the motor if anything. Long story short the turbo crapped out after 3500 miles and was on my car from June 15ish to Decemeber 23rd when it began to make a hgh pitched whine which turned out to be the turbine rubbing he housing.

I called Comp and spoke with Justin on the Jan 2nd since they were moving and I could not get ahold of them prior. When I spoke with Justin I explained the entire situation and he told me then that he would take care of me. I also explained that I felt that the oilless option was not working so I would prefer to convert it back to oiled instead. He told me that it would cost around $125 for everything and gave me a RMA.

Here is where everything turns to shit....

Once the turbo arrives I get a different story and am told the turbo I have is atleast 5 years old (which is BS) and nothing about it can be reused. The cost that was $125 for the bearing housing change is now $700. I talk with Earnie about this situation and bring up the fact I wanted to send the turbo for an ispection so I could have a warranty and was told by Justin that as long as it was new and as long as it was within 1 year of my purchase it would be covered and that I still have this in an email. Earnie asks me to send him that and I do so. Then when I here back he tells me he can not understand any of the email which is BS as well. However he stated he felt that situation warrantied some coverage and I would get a price break on the work. He puts me on the phone with Justin and Justin informs the best he can do $350 for a BB turbo with a billet compressor. Trying o save money I asked him if a JB turbo would be cheaper and he puts me on hold. When he comes back he tells me the best he can do is $300 eithe JB or BB. No deal to me considering he already told me I would be covered as long as it was within 1 year of purchasing the turbo and I am now thinking take them to Court since I am out of pocket renting a car and on bad days (like lots of snow) I can not drive the rental car to work.

I was discussing turbos with Zimbumonkey the very next day and while emailing him I realized that taking this to Court would take forever and I need a turbo to get my Car running. I call Justin back and tell him I will take the deal and send him the housing to match everything up ($300 is just for the Cart). They get the housings and I call them to have them send me a payment request on Paypal and I pay them on Jan 29th. The 30th I call them and Justin informs they have the Cart ready and the turbo will be shipped before Friday (which is the 31st). Awesome right? Wrong.

One the Febuary the 3rd I have not got any emails or nothing from them so I call as I do not want this turbo sitting on my porch unattened. When I call I speak with Justing and informs my housings have not been shaved yet but he would be sure to have this done and get my JB turbo out to me. Wait JB turbo? I informed him the deal was for a BB turbo and even explain it exactly how he said it to me. He sends me to Earnie and me and him get into it. Long story short he tells me that there is no way the cost of the BB cart would be $300 that they cost $900. Wait a minute cause now this price has changed from $700 to $900. I tell him F$ck it to return my $$ and parts and I will persue this elsewhere. I get off the phone and calm done then call them back and tell them I will take it as I need a turbo that bad. Justin tells me no problem he will make sure it is out today (3rd). I go to work (as now I have a GT3071R I borrowed from a friend) Thursday when I get home I check my email and now Comp wants me to send them an email saying i give them permission to shave my housings. WTF this still is not done?!?!? This is it I am sick of this BS so I call them Friday and tell them to send me money and send me my parts back. Earnie informs me he does not understand why I am so pissed off since they did not get money from me and frankly they owe me nothing. Really Earnie? So I am guessing some how my turbo just fell into my lap. I then get sent back to Justin and tell him I am done and I am sick of this sh!t. I ask him what my turbo looks like I sent them or if it needs to be reassembled and he informed it did not since it was never diassembled. OK.... He informs me then that my parts would be returned that day and I would get my refund as well the same day. I get home and no email confirmation on shipment nor refund. I call Comp about my refund and I am informed it will be sometime next week that they have no funds in the paypal acct and it will take sometime to get a postitive balance to return the payment.

On friday I also inform Justin that he knew he told me it was $300 for just the BB cart. He told me it was $700 and I told him that he was wrong and I knew he was wrong since I have recorded conversations of every phone call between us. He told me no problem send me the recording and he would make sure I got it for that. I then told him no dice. I am now taking this to Court and that Comp Turbo can start spending money out of their pocket like I have been.

I know that is alot to read. I have left some other parts out that I should be putting in but it pertains to other things. The fact is I was told I would covered in the event of a failure for 365 days from the date of purchase and that is not true (I do have the email). The turbo failed on the compressor side and the turbine itself looked almost brand new when I removed it. I will post pictures of it later.

If your wondering why I record phone calls its to cover my a$$. # years ago I sold a set TRD racing rims online and the buyer ended up beating me out of $1400 through Paypal though I had everything pertaining to it including where he signed for the package.

The shitty thing is I want to run a Comp turbo. I really like their Compressor designs which is what makes their products unique. Also I never really got to turn my boost up. If I was Comp and someone had my product for 3500 miles and it took a shit I would want to take care of them no matter the situation. That reminds me that when I asked for the date of manufacture they could not give it to me. I don't know where the serial number is but I can't remember seeing one on it so I would think they would have to disassemble it to find it but supposedly it has not been disassembled.

I am now in the situation where I don't know what to do. I feel that I was fair with my requests and I don't think its fair that they have changed the sitauation so many times. I honestly don't know what to think. Rght now I don't know any other recourse except taking them to court. What really burns my ass is when I spoke with Justin Jan 2nd and explained the entire situation to a "T" he should have told me then it was either covered or not. Since you can find the serial number without disassembly he should have requested it and I could have given it to him. I had already spoke with Mike Hood about buying a replacement and had they told me it was not covered I would have bought it from Mike. However the long drawn out process has cost me 2x the cost in car rental and not to mention the 5 missed days of work due to weather.

What I take from the situation is that if your going to buy a Comp turbo then buy it through Mike and let him take care of this sh!t for you.

zandrew
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM
I really don't see where this turbo is in that bad of shape. The compressor is good and the turbine barely rubbed. Hell I have rebuild turbos that have been in worse shape and they worked fine but I understand trying to warranty something that has already been damaged. Still getting just a turbine and bearings should be possible but for some reason it is not.

The other thing is my turbo is not 5 years old. Actually I doubt very VERY seriously that its older then 18 monthes. When I bought the turbo it was CT2RS and that model of turbo was listed on their site as a new model and as a drop in replacement for the GT2860RS. I also remember when I called Comp before buying the turbo for a price comparison that they told me then it was a new model. I am sure some other members will know better though

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140113_091003_zpsmwgoodcr.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140113_091003_zpsmwgoodcr.jpg.html)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140113_090950_zpsqu2jrtpp.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140113_090950_zpsqu2jrtpp.jpg.html)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140113_090936_zpsxxa6qc2x.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140113_090936_zpsxxa6qc2x.jpg.html)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140113_090928_zpsokx4y1nn.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140113_090928_zpsokx4y1nn.jpg.html)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140113_090915_zpsjphzbch2.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140113_090915_zpsjphzbch2.jpg.html)

redline380
02-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I am only in my first year of law school, but I can tell you taking them to court is a waste of time and money. There is only one scenario that you could try that I can think of. File a claim in conciliation court, or whatever small claims court is called in your state, and send Comp the summons. If they get scared, they will contact a lawyer who would tell them to since the matter is over $1500 or whatever the original cost of the turbo was, they should forgo defending the suit and settle with you. If they simply don't show up, you will win. However, I think they only need to claim that there is a jurisdictional issue, and that you would need to seek action in their state.

Obviously, IF you have a valid claim, Comp isn't going to defend against it. They certainly won't pay for an airplane ticket to your locale, and they wont pay a lawyer $500 an hour to defend itself since the matter will cost more to defend than the principal is.

Good luck

BaseDrifter
02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Did you buy the oilless turbo directly from Comp or from a 3rd party?

zandrew
02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
I bought the turbo from a Dealer that was closing out the product and dropping the line. I have the box it was shipped in showing when it was deliverd and even have photos I had taken showing it was brand new.

Redline I will PM you directly but yes I can take them to court here.

I don't think you guys understand but I don't WANT to do this. I tried everything I could not to do this but if you heard the conversations I am sure you would feel the exact same way I do. Earnie tried telling me if I had sent the turbo for an inspection it would have been covered no issue (which I tried to do but was told not too by Justin since I was "covered"). I asked for the price of an inspection and was told had it been new and they could verify that it would cost $75 but if it need rebuilt $350. I said snce it is obvious that was my intention then why not I pay the $350 that I would have had to do then in a worst cae scenario since it was new and he replied they are not going to give me anything for free.

I simply am at my end with trying to reach an amicable resolution since its obvious that its not possible and once I take this to court and its finalized I will post my conversations with them if I can do that (not wanting to violate any forum rules). I don't want people to think I am posting simple parts that are favorable to my side.

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 07:39 AM
I bought the turbo from a Dealer that was closing out the product and dropping the line. I have the box it was shipped in showing when it was deliverd and even have photos I had taken showing it was brand new.

Redline I will PM you directly but yes I can take them to court here.

I don't think you guys understand but I don't WANT to do this. I tried everything I could not to do this but if you heard the conversations I am sure you would feel the exact same way I do. Earnie tried telling me if I had sent the turbo for an inspection it would have been covered no issue (which I tried to do but was told not too by Justin since I was "covered"). I asked for the price of an inspection and was told had it been new and they could verify that it would cost $75 but if it need rebuilt $350. I said snce it is obvious that was my intention then why not I pay the $350 that I would have had to do then in a worst cae scenario since it was new and he replied they are not going to give me anything for free.

I simply am at my end with trying to reach an amicable resolution since its obvious that its not possible and once I take this to court and its finalized I will post my conversations with them if I can do that (not wanting to violate any forum rules). I don't want people to think I am posting simple parts that are favorable to my side.

It doesn't matter when you bought the turbo, the warranty tends to start from the time it is bought from Comp be it by the dealer or a customer directly. So the 1 year warranty starts when Comp prints up a invoice for that turbo unless the dealer that is selling the turbo contacts Comp to reset the starting period of the warranty or is still doing business with Comp to show when they sold that turbo to their customer.

This is the down side to buying old stock from someone at a huge discount, which is why it is a very good to ask when the turbo was actually manufactured seeing that is going to effect many things.

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 07:56 AM
It doesn't matter when you bought the turbo, the warranty tends to start from the time it is bought from Comp be it by the dealer or a customer directly. So the 1 year warranty starts when Comp prints up a invoice for that turbo unless the dealer that is selling the turbo contacts Comp to reset the starting period of the warranty or is still doing business with Comp to show when they sold that turbo to their customer.

Is that standard practice in the turbo or aftermarket parts business? Because that's utter BS, unless the distributors get made-to-order turbos they're gonna have dozens of turbos just sitting on the shelf for at least months at a time.

Poopie
02-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Comp turbos are made to order. I haven't found any sources that have them sitting on shelves.

Mad Cow
02-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Comp turbos are made to order. I haven't found any sources that have them sitting on shelves.

Ok well that makes sense then. But how did zandrew end up with a 5 year old turbo in that case?

Poopie
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM
That is the million dollar question. I question the legitimacy of the "dealer." When he purchased the turbo, he asked to send it to Comp to see if it was NEW 4 months after purchasing. Thats a pretty funny request if you purchased it from an official Comp Turbo dealer. There are only a handful of distributors and dealers anyway. I know there are a few people with dealer accounts, but they aren't gonna have "old stock."

Also comp isn't liable for you missing work and car rental. Its in their warranty agreement.

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Ok well that makes sense then. But how did zandrew end up with a 5 year old turbo in that case?

Easy, they order something and at the last minute the customer backs out and the shop that ordered it ends up sitting on it till they can off load it to someone to get some of their money back. That person most likely put it aside and completely forgot about it, then when they found it they stuck it on Ebay.

That is the million dollar question. I question the legitimacy of the "dealer." When he purchased the turbo, he asked to send it to Comp to see if it was NEW 4 months after purchasing. Thats a pretty funny request if you purchased it from an official Comp Turbo dealer. There are only a handful of distributors and dealers anyway. I know there are a few people with dealer accounts, but they aren't gonna have "old stock."

Also comp isn't liable for you missing work and car rental. Its in their warranty agreement.

When Zandrew first told me he bought it I talked to Comp and told them what it was and what wheel sizes it had, they told me it couldn't be new seeing they hadn't made one like that in years.

getslideways
02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
On friday I also inform Justin that he knew he told me it was $300 for just the BB cart. He told me it was $700 and I told him that he was wrong and I knew he was wrong since I have recorded conversations of every phone call between us. He told me no problem send me the recording and he would make sure I got it for that. I then told him no dice. I am now taking this to Court and that Comp Turbo can start spending money out of their pocket like I have been.

I am not sure how the law works in this instance but California is a "two-party consent" law State, where it is illegal to record the telephone conversation without the consent of both parties. I know you are not in CA, but CompTurbo is, so it may not play well for you depending on how that law is applied when multiple states are involved.

Also what was the point of threatening him with the recording evidence if you did not want to take him up on that previously offered pricing?

Often warranties will not cover eBay listings, closeouts, etc. I believe AEM, Edge Products, etc opperate in this fasion as they do not want to be help responsible for sales they cannot control or parts that have been kicking around a shop for 3+ years. So it seems like the discount you got was at the expense of a warranty. Essentually whoever ordered that turbo in originally and most likely never picked it up, was the warrantied owner in Comp's eyes, and you were now a 2nd owner.

It seems like your issue may be with the dealer you bought it from more than Comp directly.

zandrew
02-10-2014, 07:19 PM
My turbo IS not 5 years old. That was Earnie blowing smoke up my ass. He first told me the turbo had been dissassmebled and it was completely junk. That NOTHING could be reused. Then later talking to Justin the turbo had not been disassembled at all. The fact is they do NOT know when it was made and when I asked for the manufature date I got a whole bunch of hold on then Justin told me Earnie knew but he was not in that day not knowing that Earnie had just transfered me to him. Mike the turbo I have was not the same as what was advertised so whatever info Comp gave you was based on turbo that was incorrect. The listing I showed you clearly stated it was 5558 and the turbo I have is a 5552. Consequently my model is CT2RS and they have not been around the 5 years Earnie told me they were. I found Comp price guides for 2011, 2012, 2013 and ONLY the 2013 has the CT2RS listed.

The phone calls recorded were placed from my state. In my state only 1 person has to know they are being recorded. I have this covered. I only record phone calls on transactions to COVER my ass since I was beat out of $1400 a couple years ago. Justin knew exactly what he said to me and how he said it. He only changed it after the cart was made and several times on the phone he slipped up and said ball bearing. Then he tells me you let me hear the recording and I will make sure you get I what I told you. SORRY but that is BS. You know what you said and you should own up to it. All this extra drama BS well you said he said is rediculous and honestly was exactly their point.

Yes Comp has 1 year warranty from manufacture date. HOWEVER when I got my turbo I contacted Justin directly through email and explained that after talking with him prior to the purchase I was concerned this turbo may not hold up and I would like coverage on it. He said it would have to be shipped in and rebuilt. I explained the turbo was new and that I just bought it. Then he replied if it was new and I would be covered 1 year from when I purchased it and the turbo should be fine. I sent that email to Earnie and Earnie's bull$h!t reply was that he could not understand it. If I could figure out to take a screen shot I would and let you judge how easy it is to understand.

Then I was told $350 for the turbo to be rebuilt and coverted to oil. I asked if JB would be cheaper and Justin said $300 is the best he could do JB or BB. I actually emailed you (M Hood) and Zimbumonkey once they made me the offer and took it. Then the foot dragging began and the you said he said BS started. I know what I said and I for damn sure know what they said. The price all of a sudden changed and now I am getting a JB turbo instead. OK fine I need a replacement since I don't have my Car. The turbo was supposed to be shipped no later then Jan 30 th and as of Feb 7th nothing except bullshit excuses.

Poopie your right Comp is not liable for me missing work and having to rent a car, IF they chose to cover it with their warranty. Instead they are saying it is not covered after they said it was. This has been going on for over 5 weeks and still nothing. You don't think they are a bit to blame? I bet once I release the phone call conversations you will quickly change your mind. They actually quoted me a price over $100 more for a cartridge then what M Hood offered me the entire turbo for.

I am leaving a great deal out that was covered since I do not feel it is important to what my point is. My point is simply that I was told my turbo was covered, Not once but 3x and had the turbo not been covered I would have sent it in to have checked for the coverage. Then once they got the turbo it changed, then the price changed, then the model changed, and now the refund I was supposed to get today I will not get till Friday, if I am lucky. The fact is I had a brand new Comp turbo that had less then 3500 miles at 11psi. If I was them I would cover it on the basis alone. Instead its obvious they have dragged their feet simply hoping I would settle for what they gave me and that they make something out of it (which I was in such a bind I was willing to pay something). Instead I have drawn the line and said enough is enough. I am left no other recourse and once all of it comes out I am sure every single one of you will feel the same way.

zandrew
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I actually just got an email back from the guy I bought it from. It was not old stock at all. The turbo had a deposit paid on it and the company ordered the unit. After holding the turbo for 30 days they sold it at a discounted price that covered the rest of the cost minus the deposit (the Deposit was half the cost of the unit). The turbo was shipped to me in March so if what he sent me is correct it is not THAT old.

getslideways
02-10-2014, 08:46 PM
If I could figure out to take a screen shot I would and let you judge how easy it is to understand.

http://c.ancestry.com/Affiliate/Knowledgebase/Images/Ancestry/2295-1.png

or just copy and paste the text from your email and post it here

http://www.dailybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/copy-paste.png

zandrew
02-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Ha ha copy and paste is the extent of my computer knowledge (though I can use cad).

I want to post a screen shot so it's 100% no way tampered with. I know my wife knows how so I'll have her do it. Shes asleep so I'll get her to do it tomorrow.

M-Hood
02-11-2014, 08:52 AM
I actually just got an email back from the guy I bought it from. It was not old stock at all. The turbo had a deposit paid on it and the company ordered the unit. After holding the turbo for 30 days they sold it at a discounted price that covered the rest of the cost minus the deposit (the Deposit was half the cost of the unit). The turbo was shipped to me in March so if what he sent me is correct it is not THAT old.

Odd seeing the CHRA is of a old design and it isn't hard for Comp Turbo to look up the actual invoice for the serial number on that turbo which is why they put the serial number on the invoice for each turbo.

BTW the CT2RS is a model name they did start using on their site that year a model number for marketing, but that doesn't mean they weren't actually making that same type of turbo just under the CT2 name seeing the CT2RS is just the CT2 with a T25 housing on it. None of the dealer sheets actually have a "CT2RS" listed on it, just listed as a CT2 with T25 housing.

Example from the Comp 2013 sheet.

233300-0003
CT2 Billet 3BB 49 47 T2 .64/.86 5 Bolt

From Feb 2012, this is the CT that Andrew (AZ member) has in his B5.

CT2 53 Billet 3BB WET DYN 56 .64 T2 internal gate

As you can see neither of them actually say CT2RS as a model number or part number.

The 2011 Comp sheet doesn't even list a T25 housing option for the CT2's but yet was in fact something that could be ordered, just like the sheet only had 2-3 CT2 wheel sizes when there were way more then that.

zandrew
02-14-2014, 06:43 PM
The thing is though that Comp did not disassemble the turbo at all and they can NOT tell me the manufacture date though I requested it. The bearing housing is an older design but the Oil less turbos are not used as frequent as the oiled turbos. I would suspect the old oil less housings were used well after the new housings came out. I also never found the T25 turbine housing option when looking for older years but that may just mean it was special order.

Here is a photo of the Conversation me and Justin had about warranty. There are other parts I am not going to post but they do not help Comp out.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/miander1/20140214_210610_zpssbvx06zx.jpg (http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/miander1/media/20140214_210610_zpssbvx06zx.jpg.html)

I honestly think Justin mistook the situation and thought I purchased the turbo from you (M Hood) when you sent him the picture last year. I did not leave details out of the issue when I emailed Justin nor when I called when the turbo went out. I also asked if I sent pictures if it would help and he said no that he would "take care of me". I took this into account and was willing to pay for a fair portion of the work. I even accepted the offer Justin made me for the BB cart and my housings being machined but they changed their mind and decided to change it too a JB turbo. Then on top of that I was promised it would be shipped this day then this day and my housings sat there for 2+ weeks with nothing being done and the eventual conclusion was that Comp deliberately delayed doing the work knowing I needed the turbo for my car and hoping I would settle or whatever they gave me. I have thought about this countless times and I can not come up with any other reason they took their sweet time and continued to tell me this will be done when it was not.

I think had just Justin dealt with the issue we would have came to an amicable resolution but once Earnie and his BS got involved the whole thing simply went to shit. However Justin had the option to tell Earnie that the deal was for a BB turbo and he didn't. When I told Justin the BS prices Earnie gave me he told me himself they were not right but Earnie insisted he was giving me price breaks due to the situation and the confusion caused on Comps behalf though he priced cartridges $100 more then what I can buy the whole turbo from M Hood for. I find it funny he admits they were mistakes on their behalf but he does not feel compelled to do anything about them specifically.

zandrew
02-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Also I just got my stuff back from them and the assholes did not package them in a fashion that would protect them from damage. My compressor housing is scratched all to hell and my compressor which I could reuse now has dings in it.

M-Hood
02-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Zandrew that looks to be a picture of a outgoing reply email you sent back to Comp.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Mike you can clearly see that is reply from Justin to me. There was several emails back and forth and that is just the part where Justin replied to my question. I would not be up in arms over this if I was told something different.

Seerlah
02-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Zandrew, if you plan on modifying your B5 A4 (clearly are) and want to keep it as a daily driver I would seriously invest in a back up vehicle. Used to be a familly beater 97 Saturn Sl2, then got an 02 hand me down Maxima from my sister. Without a second vehicle, I would have been f*cked a long time ago. But I don't seem to be as fortunate as others.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I get your point Seerlah but am confused how this plays into this specific situation? My wife has her car which I used when she was not working. However it still does not excuse Comp from the fact that when I called I explained it to him to a T and was told I would be taken care of. 3 weeks later we agree to a BB cart for $300 plus shipping. Then they change their mind and make a JB turbo. Had they just shipped it I would had been OK with it. Pissed but OK. They took 2 extra weeks after Justin confirmed the cart was ready and it would be shipped that day and it was never done.

Once my case goes final then I will post the Charades I went through including the conversations. I am not pissed so much that the info Justin gave me was wrong. I am pissed that we came to resolution to the issue and Comp took their sweet damn time and basically f@cked me and never lived up to the agreement which ended up costing me excess money. I am also pissed that I have asked for the manufacture date and they have refused to give that too me. Does that not sound suspicous to you especially when you consider the turbo was not disassembled and its obvious they don't know when it was manufactured? I also remember when I bought my turbo it was advertised on their site as a new model.

I want you to think of this way; assume you have bought a turbo from Someone that shits out on you after 3500 miles and you never pushed it. Before installing the turbo you speak with the company about it and make it evident you want a warranty. They tell you it is covered and you send it to them. Then, after they take their sweet time its not covered though they already gave you a cost to fix it. Now the cost has went from $125 (or Earnie told me $175) to $900. They pass you off to Justin which comes up with $300 plus shipping for a BB cart since he assumes some responsability. You agree then ship them the rest of the parts needed. You call them once the parts get their (since you check your tracking number) and they verify your turbo will be shipped that day or next. Then no tracking number and it has been long enough to recieve it so you call for the number. Find out nothing has been shipped but he promises your JB will be shipped that day. Wait cause you agree to a BB turbo and he sends you back to Earnie which changes all his prices around and is now giving you a price for a cart that $100 more then you can buy the tubo from Mike for (and when I point that out he tells me if Mike wants to lose Money that he is OK with that). The WHOLE turbo not just the cart. Your pissed but you need the turbo so you live with the fact that they have f@cked you and tell them to send it. Then a couple more days pass expecting the turbo to have been shipped you check your email for a tracking number and what do you find? You find an email asking you for permission to cut your housings which you have already gave them.

Had Comp done what they said they would my issue would have been resolved 4 weeks ago but oddly they took their sweet time and why I don't know. The only conclusion I can come up with is that they knew I needed it and would settle for whatever. Now factor in that they can NOT tell you when the turbo was manufactured since they did not disassemble it. Your going to tell me you wouldn't be pissed and seek whatever line of recourse possible?

I don't want to take them to court. What I want was for them to do what we agreed too which is the offer they made me.

Just hold your thoughts till you hear the conversations, that is all I ask.

The fact is

Seerlah
02-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I get your point Seerlah but am confused how this plays into this specific situation?

You are not confused. It doesn't.

getslideways
02-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I am waiting to see the entire conversation before I pass any real judgement (not that the opinion of some random guy in the internet matters lol). http://www.augiedoggy.com/Smilies3/judge09.gif

However, at this point is seems like the issues arose from miscommunication, not greed fueled evil-malicious intentions.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 02:32 PM
I have everything filled out and I am ready to turn it in. I am going to try 1 more time to resolve the issue but this time I am going to speak with whomever is in charge. At first yes I do believe some of it to be miscommunication but not on my behalf. My story never once changed and once I post the conversations your going understand where I am coming from.

It was not so much that Justin gave me wrong info. When I called him and the turbo shit out I had already spoke with Mike on a replacement. I told Justin on the phone I had spoke with Mike and if the easiest solution was to buy one from him I would do that but he insisted he would take care of me and to send it. Then I sent it and the story changed. Earnie told me to send him the email which I did and he said he could not understand it which I am blown away by. That email is pretty clear and the rest of the back and forth follows the same context that the turbo was covered since I was willing to send it in for a rebuild to have the coverage.

I was still willing to pay the cost that Justin specifically told me. Justin did not have the cartridge put together for me, Earnie did and I don't think Justin would have done me that way. When I spoke to Justin several times he slipped up and said Ball bearing turbo.

I will say this simply. Everything was going just fine until Earnie stepped in but Justin should have kept his word and done what we agreed too. When I spoke to Earnie he told me the turbo was 5 years old and its not. He refused to give me the day it was built and the turbo was not disassembled. He continued to tell me this bullshit that Comp did not get any money from me so he did not understand why I expected them to do anything from me. Well the turbo just did not fall out of the sky and land in my lap. That would be like Seerlah's turbo taking a shit on him and expecting them to cover it. Well they did not get money from Seerlah, they got it from whom Seerlah bought it from which is the exact same situation I am in.

I have contacted the person I bought it from and he replied the turbo was ordered for a client. That client put a deposit on the turbo and never picked it up. After 30 days of holding it he sold it for the cost minus the deposit. I bought the turbo last March so it would still be less then 1 year old. Comp had the oppertunity to check the date and they didn't.

Nothing they have done has made a damn bit of sense.

getslideways
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM
... He continued to tell me this bullshit that Comp did not get any money from me so he did not understand why I expected them to do anything from me. Well the turbo just did not fall out of the sky and land in my lap...

In theory Comp didn't get any money from you. They got money from the dealer who ordered it. You did not order it directly from Comp, you bought a unit someone else ordered for someone else, correct? So this still seems like the dealer you bought it from should be doing this legwork then. That is afterall the whole draw/point in purchasing through an authorized dealer right?

Seerlah
02-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Justin is the owner of the company. If wanting to get things resolved then you need to not progress to anger. As frustrated as you may get, it really leads to nowhere. As a business person yourself, I'm sure you are more than aware of that. You need to deal with Justin, only Justin and get it resolved.

And an FYI, I am sending my unit back for inspection. I have the RMA number and told him it will be a bit before I send it in. He checked on his computer, seen I am still under warranty, and told me no problem. I already know about their broken shipping promises (dealt with it before), so I am prepared for that.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 04:02 PM
I bought it from a dealer that bought it from Comp. He had other turbos he had bought from them and was closing out thus the reason I thought he was closing this one out as well.

I think you missed what I was saying. Earnie in our conversations scrambled to come up with reasons why he should NOT cover it. Had they looked at the manufacture date and gave that to me then that would have held some credence but still I contacted Comp before I used it and was very specific I wanted a warranty since I was concerned the oilless would not hold up. Other parts of the email that I did not post actually covered it. I contacted Justin and told him I bought a turbo and I wanted a warranty. He told me to ship it to them and have it rebuilt and it would have a 1 year warranty. I then informed it was new and not been used but it was a oilless turbo and I was concerned it would not hold up in my application. He replied it would be covered one year from date I purchased it. So there was no misunderstanding. He knew precisely what the situation was and now the turbo took a shit and they did not want to cover it.

You really think about this. I ran that turbo on my car at 11psi since I am on a stock engine and a stock clutch still. It had less then 3500 miles on it. The turbo was brand new when I got it and never even mounted. I would want too, if I was Comp, cover it just on the simple basis that what I produced lasted 3500 miles and was a piece of $h!t.

Furthermore I did not have the communication with the dealer I bought it from. I had the communication with Comp themselves. Its simple, Comp should do what they said they would. I am not asking for anything more or anything less though their indeciveness has costed me extra money.

Now if you run a company where there is an issue with a warranty why would you not produce date of manufacture if that would put it outside the warranty coverage? I am not saying Comp dragged their a$$ for 2 weeks just so I would settle for what they gave me. However if I was forced to draw a conclusion from the situation I could not come up with anything else that works when considering all aspects of the situation. There is no other logical conclusion since a company works off having customers and happy customers are return customers and since they were "helping" me out would it not have made sense to do so in a timely fashion?

On Jan 30th I called them since my other parts had showed up and I spoke with Justin and he told me he was going to check and make sure it was there. When he got back on the phone he said the parts had arrived and that Earnie had the BB cart ready so all that was needed was to have the housings shaved which should be done that day and it would be shipped. The next week when I called for a tracking number since I had not got it and it should have been delivered I spoke to Justin and asked simply for a tracking number. Did not ask about the turbo or anything and he made a point to bring up that he would make sure the housings were done that day and my JB turbo would be shipped out. That is suspicious.

M-Hood
02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I have everything filled out and I am ready to turn it in. I am going to try 1 more time to resolve the issue but this time I am going to speak with whomever is in charge. At first yes I do believe some of it to be miscommunication but not on my behalf. My story never once changed and once I post the conversations your going understand where I am coming from.

It was not so much that Justin gave me wrong info. When I called him and the turbo shit out I had already spoke with Mike on a replacement. I told Justin on the phone I had spoke with Mike and if the easiest solution was to buy one from him I would do that but he insisted he would take care of me and to send it. Then I sent it and the story changed. Earnie told me to send him the email which I did and he said he could not understand it which I am blown away by. That email is pretty clear and the rest of the back and forth follows the same context that the turbo was covered since I was willing to send it in for a rebuild to have the coverage.

I was still willing to pay the cost that Justin specifically told me. Justin did not have the cartridge put together for me, Earnie did and I don't think Justin would have done me that way. When I spoke to Justin several times he slipped up and said Ball bearing turbo.

I will say this simply. Everything was going just fine until Earnie stepped in but Justin should have kept his word and done what we agreed too. When I spoke to Earnie he told me the turbo was 5 years old and its not. He refused to give me the day it was built and the turbo was not disassembled. He continued to tell me this bullshit that Comp did not get any money from me so he did not understand why I expected them to do anything from me. Well the turbo just did not fall out of the sky and land in my lap. That would be like Seerlah's turbo taking a shit on him and expecting them to cover it. Well they did not get money from Seerlah, they got it from whom Seerlah bought it from which is the exact same situation I am in.

I have contacted the person I bought it from and he replied the turbo was ordered for a client. That client put a deposit on the turbo and never picked it up. After 30 days of holding it he sold it for the cost minus the deposit. I bought the turbo last March so it would still be less then 1 year old. Comp had the oppertunity to check the date and they didn't.

Nothing they have done has made a damn bit of sense.

Did you ask the person you bought it from to show you a copy of the invoice even if the cost was covered up or even given you the Comp invoice number for it? Because Comp told me that turbo was manufactured in early 2012, so 1 year from that date is when the warranty is over unless the company that sold it contacted Comp to reset the 1 year warrant from the time they sold it. This is stated right on the invoices given to every customer buying a turbo from Comp be it a retail customer or a Wholesaler.

Right off a Comp Invoice

Comp Turbo Technology, Inc. warrants new and remanufactured turbochargers to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 (one) year from the original date of purchase.

Odd thing is that Justin told me that you guys agreed on a price to fix it, but after emailing you a bunch of times you would not reply back giving them a written agreement to start rebuilding it and to carve/machine your housing. Without that OK they said there was no way they were going to start doing anything on it seeing you have changed your mind a bunch of times while the had the turbo in their hands.

Mike you can clearly see that is reply from Justin to me. There was several emails back and forth and that is just the part where Justin replied to my question. I would not be up in arms over this if I was told something different.

Yes I understand that but I still don't understand why you didn't post a picture of that exact email from Justin in your inbox instead of posting up a picture of a replied email? Thing is Justin sent me the email he sent you and then sent me the one you sent Ernie and they don't say the exact same thing on them.

Seerlah
02-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Every time I called them when my turbo was being put together I made sure to speak directly with Justin. As long as you "always" talk to the same person, things go smoothly. My suggestion, resolve things with Justin and only Justin. Work it out. He's the owner. And really, I would spend a little coin to have it made in the Triplex like you wanted. If you guys can come to terms on that $300 plus brand new 1 year warranty, that would be your best route because it seems you very much still want to run this turbo. And not for nothing, I love my Comp Turbo. Only brand at this point I would upgrade to is a Borg Warner EFR (was told the T3 will work on my manifold).

zandrew
02-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Did you ask the person you bought it from to show you a copy of the invoice even if the cost was covered up or even given you the Comp invoice number for it? Because Comp told me that turbo was manufactured in early 2012, so 1 year from that date is when the warranty is over unless the company that sold it contacted Comp to reset the 1 year warrant from the time they sold it. This is stated right on the invoices given to every customer buying a turbo from Comp be it a retail customer or a Wholesaler.

Right off a Comp Invoice

Odd thing is that Justin told me that you guys agreed on a price to fix it, but after emailing you a bunch of times you would not reply back giving them a written agreement to start rebuilding it and to carve/machine your housing. Without that OK they said there was no way they were going to start doing anything on it seeing you have changed your mind a bunch of times while the had the turbo in their hands.

Yes I understand that but I still don't understand why you didn't post a picture of that exact email from Justin in your inbox instead of posting up a picture of a replied email? Thing is Justin sent me the email he sent you and then sent me the one you sent Ernie and they don't say the exact same thing on them.

With my gmail account it keeps all messages like a thread. If I email you then you reply then I reply it is all in the same message. Its a very long message since I screwed up the first time I sent it too Earnie and that photo was directly from my inbox directly where it is saved (I guess I could video of me opening the account and showing the email). Me and Justin agreed on a price to fix it. It was $300 for a bb cart and machining the housings. I actually emailed you right after I talked with them since I was interested in a turbo from you and I thought I should let you know it had been resolved. I have the copy. Justin first game me a price of $350 then I asked him if it would be cheaper for a JB turbo. He put me on hold and when he got back on he told me it would be $300 either way JB or BB and that is the least he could do. I first told him screw it and the next morning I thought about it while emailing Zimbumonkey and decided to accept it. I called him and trust me the conversation is very clear and I went over the details about it. I sent him the housings and I did not speak with them until they received them. No changing of the mind what so ever. I called them on the 30th and he verified they had received them and I was told then the BB cart was ready and it would be on its way that day and no later then the next which was the 31st. On the 3rd I call them back since I have not received anything (I get stuff from California fast) and had not received a tracking number. On the 3rd it suddenly changed from BB to JB and I was pissed. I told Earnie if they did not follow through with the deal to refund me and send me my parts back (which I would suspect anyone would do). He transfered me to Justin and I spoke with him and since I badly needed this turbo I gave in and asked if he could get it out that day and he said he would make sure it was done. I give it a couple days and check my inbox and here is some bullshit about needing an email verifying I wanted the work done.

I briefly and I mean BRIEFLY changed my mind on the turbo since it was supposed to be BB turbo which I am sure anyone else would do. Comp never disassembled the turbo so they have no clue when it was manufactured. I can not fathom why they would give you a supposed date but they refused to give me one except say it was 5 years old.

I have requested an invoice from the seller but I have not got it yet. I took the photo of the email that covers this situation. I now find it funny Justin has an email when I asked him before and they did not.

This thread was not made to make Comp look like a bunch of Douche's. It was made so that others did not go through the same situation. If you notice I very specifically said to buy the turbo from you so others will not go through the same shit as me.

Seerlah- I don't think Justin is the owner. When I spoke with them I got the feeling that Earnie was pulling the strings. I already agreed with the offer Justin made me for $300 for a BB cart and 1 year warranty. They are the ones that changed their mind, not me. Your right. I do still want to run this turbo.

I know my compressor and its back plate was still in good shape. All they needed to do is replace the shaft, bearings, and bearing housing and the deal would have been done but for some reason they could not do this.

Now they sent my parts back with NO packing between the compressor and Compressor housing or turbine and turbine housing. The Comp housing is scratched all to hell and the compressor has dings.

Seerlah
02-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Justin is the owner, as far as I know. Mike would know, if he feels like confirming. All I know is that was the only guy I ever felt like talking to with that company. Even when I send it in for inspection, don't plan on dealing with anybody except him.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 06:37 PM
The other part Mike is that it is very weird that Comp emailed me to get confirmation to shave my housing. Through the entire issue it was always phone calls. I even emailed them about some things and they called me back instead of replying. I spoke to him on Feb 3rd when he told me it would get done and out that day after changing it from BB to JB. Then on Feb 5th I get an email saying they want me to email them to verify I was OK with them shaving my housings. Then again on Feb 6th. If it was so important why not just call me and say hey since you have changed your mind we would appreciate it if you would email us verifying its OK to shave your housings which is how we communicated the entire time.

It does not make a bit of sense.

getslideways
02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
The other part Mike is that it is very weird that Comp emailed me to get confirmation to shave my housing. Through the entire issue it was always phone calls. I even emailed them about some things and they called me back instead of replying. I spoke to him on Feb 3rd when he told me it would get done and out that day after changing it from BB to JB. Then on Feb 5th I get an email saying they want me to email them to verify I was OK with them shaving my housings. Then again on Feb 6th. If it was so important why not just call me and say hey since you have changed your mind we would appreciate it if you would email us verifying its OK to shave your housings which is how we communicated the entire time.

It does not make a bit of sense.

They need your consent in writing. This is pretty standard in many industries as it minimizes the "he said she said" debates. So if you chose not to reply confirming the work to be done, what are they supposed to do? This sounds like it has been a very emotional transaction at times, so I would not be surprised if comp wanted written confirmation to ensure everyone is on the same page and expecting the same things.

It still seems to me like the dealer is the one you should be upset with. If they can't get you an invoice, then you are taking their story as facts, and should consider the possibility of half truths. Comp is getting all your anger, but the guy who actually told you the story, took your money, and sold you the turbo seems to be getting off pretty easy.

As for the pricing, if he misspoke, then he misspoke. It's like a misprint for a sale in the paper. If there was an honest accident in the price are you going to put a gun to their head and force them to honor it?

getslideways
02-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Also even without a manufacturing date, the company may be able to estimate its age based on components and other factors.

For example where I used to work people would claim warranty work for a part they "just bought two months ago". Yet when we got it it would have a part or component that we phased out 3 years prior. So in those cases even without a specific date we could easily approximate the unit as being manufactured well beyond what the customer was claiming.

Those same customers when asked for an invoice were also 90% of the time the same ones who "never received one with their purchase".

Sometimes we would honor it anyway, but it was on a case by case basis.

My point is, it's possible Comp can identify a units estimated manufacturing date even without a stamp in the casting.

zandrew
02-17-2014, 07:00 AM
They need your consent in writing. This is pretty standard in many industries as it minimizes the "he said she said" debates. So if you chose not to reply confirming the work to be done, what are they supposed to do? This sounds like it has been a very emotional transaction at times, so I would not be surprised if comp wanted written confirmation to ensure everyone is on the same page and expecting the same things.

It still seems to me like the dealer is the one you should be upset with. If they can't get you an invoice, then you are taking their story as facts, and should consider the possibility of half truths. Comp is getting all your anger, but the guy who actually told you the story, took your money, and sold you the turbo seems to be getting off pretty easy.

As for the pricing, if he misspoke, then he misspoke. It's like a misprint for a sale in the paper. If there was an honest accident in the price are you going to put a gun to their head and force them to honor it?

If hey wanted to minimize the he said she said it would have pretty simple. They would had me speak with one person instead of two. Then they should have emaled me instead of calling of me about things. It does not make sense to email someone about something when the entire time you call them.

Why would I be pissed at the dealer? Seriously, do you see me posting info from the dealer? Did the dealer tell me it would be covered? Can the dealer rebuil;d the turbo for me? When I bought the turbo I had communications with Comp not the dealer which has dropped the Comp line. He did not misspeak on pricing. There was no misspeaking. The price started at $350 and when I asked if the JB tubo could be done for cheaper he put me on hold and when he got back on the phone he said the least he could do JB or BB was $300 plus shipping. I did not accept that offer at first and then called back the next day and accepted the offer for $300 for BB turbo. I have both of these conversations. Then once my parts my got to them I called and he still verified it was a BB turbo. Then several more days go by and I should have received the turbo or atleast had an email verification of tracking so I called back and suddenly the BB turbo that has been spoke about 3 consecutive times is now a JB turbo. Its pretty simple to see what I am pissed about.

The dealer made none of these promises. Comp Turbo did. Then they dragged and dragged and dragged some more. I had 3 seperate promises of when the turbo would be shipped and I never got anything from them. What I find funny is that Comp refused to answer some of my emails but in the end they wanted me to email them since I had changed my mind. The fact is they changed their mind. Hold your judgement till either Comp decides to resolve this as I have emailed them or we go to court and it is processed. Once its done you can hear their BS for yourself and be able to draw a much better conclusion.

If you read the last line of the first post my point was not too come and make Comp look like a bunch of assholes which they have been. My point was so that others would avoid being in the same situation or atleast be prepared for what I went through.

M-Hood
02-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Justin is the owner, as far as I know. Mike would know, if he feels like confirming. All I know is that was the only guy I ever felt like talking to with that company. Even when I send it in for inspection, don't plan on dealing with anybody except him.

The owners name is Joe, Justin runs the front of the shop while Ernie runs the back.

getslideways
02-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I have requested an invoice from the seller but I have not got it yet. I took the photo of the email that covers this situation.

***EDITOR'S NOTE**** Please do not take any offense to anything I have written thus far, or written below, it is mearly to find the other side of this coin, and playing devil's advocate.

This is my point, you are extremely mad at comp, but the dealer is the one who took your money and told you the story. As of now it does not sound like they have provided any paperwork to back that story up. Yet you are taking what they said as fact. If You are angry at comp for saying one thing, when the truth is another, then consider the possibility that the dealer you bought it from did the exact same thing.

Also, if comp offered you a price, and you declined it, why should they be forced to re-honor that price later after you declined it? It could have been a moment of compassion that brought forth the lower price the first time, then when you told them where to go, where to stick it, and declined that offer, then that offer no longer existed beyond that moment.

I do not work for comp, I have never used ANY comp component, so I cannot speak personally on their customer service, but I have dealt with lots of emotionally fueled customers in my time. So you go to court, you take a day off of work, spend time preparing, for what? a couple hundred dollars? What will you lose in time and a paycheck for this ordeal? I just do not feel like you have thought this through as to what will benefit you the most. You paid 60% for a product from someone else, yet want 100% protection and coverage from the manufacturer.

Again, I am sorry if this makes you angry, however all we have to go one is your account of the situation. You say you have voice recordings, emails, paper trails, etc yet have produced almost none of them. As a result we have to play devils advocate here and wonder what the other side of this coin looks like.

I still think the dealer is getting off easy. They sold you a turbo at a deep discount with a story of how it got there, then you want Comp to handle all of your issues directly. Seems like a case of "have your cake and eat it too". If you wanted the safety and security of a risk free turbo, and premium Comp customer service, then pay full price directly through comp. This dealer transaction just seems like something is up with their story. In this day and age if the turbo was only a few months old, the paperwork should not have gone far, there should probably be an email or electronic confirmation somewhere. It sounds like they are just hoping you go away so they don't have to produce anything.

If your Nitto tire develops a bubble you go back to Les Schwab (or whatever your local Nitto tire dealer is where you bought it) and they take care of all the warranty work and deal with Nitto. You do not go to Nitto's headquarters. That is the whole point of using an authorized dealer. You are putting your faith in the person you give the money to that they will honor what they are selling you, and handle any issues that come your way. In this case its the dealer.

Its like I tell my friends when they are buying a car. If you want zero risk, then pay full price for a brand new car with a warranty. If you are willing to accept some risk, then save money, get a nicer model, and buy used. Unfortunately you cannot have it both ways. Even if you get the used car fully inspected, there is still some risk involved.

Also, the email you posted with Justin's reply about being warrantied for a year; it seems like his response is given under the assumption that the turbo has in fact been purchased from Comp within a few months, which is based on the information you are telling them. However, as of now, that story has not yet been proven to be true by the dealer. After inspection of the turbo at their facility, it has been deemed impossible for the dealer's story to be true, as the unit is much older than what you were told.

So essentially this is how I see it based only on what you have provided us with (don't take this too seriously):

Dealer: Hey Cheif, want this turbo for 40% off?
You: Sure whats the catch?
Dealer: No catch, someone else ordered it a month ago and never paid for it
You: ok let me think about it
You: Dear Comp, my local shop ordered in a turbo a month ago and no one picked it up, if i buy it and run oil-less am I covered
Justin: Sure, if its within the year of purchase you betcha
You: thank you
Dealer: So still want it?
You: Yup
You: Dear Comp, the turbo failed I am sending it in
Justin: Okie-Dokie
*Justin Opens Box*
Justin: Holy Moley this thing is ancient, there is no way this was purchased from us in the last few months
You: but you said I was covered!!!
Justin: yeah, thats assuming the info you gave me was accurate, and it appears it was not
You: well they told me thats what happened
Justin: And I am telling you its not possible
You: Hey Mr. Dealer can you get me that invoice
Dealer: *counting money* ummm.... yeah.... i'll get right on that...
Dealer: *eats a sandwich*

zandrew
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
You have the situation goofed up. I don't mind you playing devils advocate since all this thread has done is give me hope that I can work something out with Comp.

I never told Comp that the dealer told me the turbo was made last year. When I bought the turbo I assumed it was older version and a close out. After several heated threads with Mike I came to know that Comp covered turbos 1 year after rebuilding or manufacture. I then contacted Comp about having some sort of warranty on the turbo since it was not proven in my application. At first Justin assumed it was a used turbo and told me I needed to send it for a rebuild to have coverage. I then told him the turbo was brand new and had not been used and that is whn I got the reply it was covered one year after date of purchase. I am pretty sure Justin mistook the situation and assumd I bought the turbo through Mike since I spoke directly with Mike before buying it and I could easily see where that mistake could be made.

This is still no big deal to me. I will pitch the turbo in the trash and just buy a new one from Mike since he has given me a damn good deal but I contacted Comp and went completely over the situation and offered to send pictures. Justin told me not too worry about he will take care of me and even gives me a price to fix it. At this specific time Justin knew I bought the turbo on a closeout from a dealer that had it on his shelf since that is what I thought happened (he had 2 other Comp turbos he was selling as well). So at this time I am taking Comp on their word and remove the turbo and ship it. Once they get the turbo its now 5 years old (which its not) and the prices given to me change. I had already went through all the BS about date of manufacture and how the turbo was still new in the box when I got. He tells me he understands the situation I am in and wants to help since their was some confusion on their behalf. So now we are trying to work the issue out and eventually we come up with a price of $300 which I accept. So instead of sticking to the offer THEY made me they start dragging feet and never do what they said though I am promised 3 seperate times it would be shipped.

What I am pissed about is that if they some how know the turbo was manufactured in 2012 and told Mike that why not tell me that? Instead he told me it was never disassembled and it was 5 years old. There is no external serial number. Nothing. It would have to be disassembled to figure out when it was manufactured and the turbo was not disassembled. I even pointed out to Justin that when I got the turbo the model I have was still advertised as a new option (the CT2RS) and he put me on hold to make an attempt to figure out when that info was posted on the internet. Why would he do this if they knew when it was made?

I literally still have the box it came in which is still post marked. I have pictures that the turbo was brand new as well and I have the emails expressing that I wanted coverage on the turbo and was willing to pay for a rebuild if necessary when I was told by Justin I would be covered. All this I can forgive and move on since I can understand how mistake could be made. However there is no excuse for Comp to come to an agreement and make me an offer and then change it at the last minute without talking to me and then act like that was the deal all along. The dealer I bought it from did not have anything to do with the offer Comp made me. Comp did that. They chose to change it and that is what I am pissed about. I ended up renting a car for 4 weeks when I could have simply bought a new turbo from Mike and been done but I took Justin for his word that he would take care of me.

Before I bought the turbo I spoke with Comp and made sure they felt it would be a good match to my car and goals. I never spoke to the dealer except when I bought it.

Thank you Mike.

getslideways
02-17-2014, 11:21 AM
What I am pissed about is that if they some how know the turbo was manufactured in 2012 and told Mike that why not tell me that? Instead he told me it was never disassembled and it was 5 years old. There is no external serial number. Nothing. It would have to be disassembled to figure out when it was manufactured and the turbo was not disassembled. I even pointed out to Justin that when I got the turbo the model I have was still advertised as a new option (the CT2RS) and he put me on hold to make an attempt to figure out when that info was posted on the internet. Why would he do this if they knew when it was made?

Mike made it sound like it would not be difficult for them to discern the estimated manufacturing date, as the turbo's configuration was that of one they have not made in well over a year:

When Zandrew first told me he bought it I talked to Comp and told them what it was and what wheel sizes it had, they told me it couldn't be new seeing they hadn't made one like that in years.

So it seems the unit may in fact be older than what the dealer is telling you it was. We really won't know unless the dealer can come up with the paperwork that seems to have gone missing all of a sudden.

Comp may not need a date stamp to know when they last produced one in that configuration is all I am saying. So when they believe the part they will be receiving is a newer, and more recent model, those parts can be cheaper or more readily available when compared to that of an older part which may use outdated components. This could help account for some of the pricing changes once receiving the part, as it was expected and described as one thing, then found to be another once in hand. Sort of like if I tell my car dealer I need to order a center grille for my 99 Mercedes, then show up in a 1955 300sl Gullwing. The price they thought they were quoting for me for, has now changed drastically based on what I brought them due to availability. Yes on the surface they are both Mercedes, and yes, they still list various Mercedes in their catalogs, but the error in info as to which specific one I had results in two very different prices and availability.

For example, the company I work for has THOUSANDS of parts in their catalog, however, just because the product is in there, doesn't mean that they are being actively sold. There are parts in the catalog that we have only sold 1 of in the past 5 years. So even though its in there, if someone claimed they bought it from us within a year, I would know they are mistaken, as we have not had to produce that part in 4+ years (since most of our parts are made to order). Likewise, due to changes in tooling, to make one today, it may have slight variances compared to the original from 5 years ago. Preforming the same task, but using updated and more readily available internal materials to do it.

Renting a car is a pain in the butt, but not Comp's responsibility. If they told you they would cover a car rental, then changed their mind after the fact, yes that would be on them to make good on that promise. However, you made the decision to rent the car, so its not on them to foot the bill (assuming that is why you posted that piece of info).

Again, devil's advocate.

redline380
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
What the fuck does it matter he if bought a five year old product? The fact is it was brand new when he bought it and that brand new product deserves the same warranty as any other brand new product.

So you guys are telling me if a manufacturer offers a 1 year warranty on a tv, the warranty is in effect starting with the date of manufacture? So if I by a 1 year and 1 day old tv the warranty will no longer be valid? This notion is poppycock.

redline380
02-17-2014, 11:49 AM
From their website

Warranty

Comp Turbo Technology, Inc. warrants new and remanufactured turbochargers to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 (one) year from the original date of purchase. If we confirm a defect in a turbocharger covered by this warranty, we will repair at our option with new or remanufactured components or, if repair is not possible, replace the item.

Exclusions Does not exclude turbos that were bought new, but five years after date of manufacture

This warranty covers defects in material or workmanship discovered while using the product as recommended by the manufacturer. The warranty does not cover damage or contingent damage caused by misuse, abuse, or any modification. The warranty does not cover parts that are subject to normal wear and tear.

getslideways
02-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Based on what Mike said:

This is the down side to buying old stock from someone at a huge discount, which is why it is a very good to ask when the turbo was actually manufactured seeing that is going to effect many things.

It sounds like comp starts the clock then the dealer orders it, or the customer orders it directly. If the dealer orders the unit in, it sounds like they have to reset the warranty clock with comp when they sell it, otherwise the warranty starts when the dealer orders it. Otherwise how is Comp supposed to know how long a customer has had a product? The only thing they really see is when they ship it out. I could be 100% wrong, but it sounds like the majority of Comps turbos are made to order, which is why they start counting the clock at the time of assembly, as the time of assembly and sale should be relatively close in their case.

If everything the Dealer told you is true, then based on what Mike said, there should be no issue with the dealer contacting Comp to reset the warranty, thus placing you well within the warranty period regardless. It sounds like they were supposed to do this anyway, and failed to. Had they done this, you should have been in a very different predicament right now. So again, i still think the dealer should be helping you out here.

It seems like the dealer failing to follow through on their end of the deal (paperwork, warranty reset, etc) is what got you to where you are in the first place. The fact they haven't done any of this is what makes me question the accuracy of their story.

redline380
02-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Warranty is not initiated by a wholesaling to a retailer. That would be complete B.S.

getslideways
02-17-2014, 12:17 PM
What the fuck does it matter he if bought a five year old product? The fact is it was brand new when he bought it and that brand new product deserves the same warranty as any other brand new product.

So you guys are telling me if a manufacturer offers a 1 year warranty on a tv, the warranty is in effect starting with the date of manufacture? So if I by a 1 year and 1 day old tv the warranty will no longer be valid? This notion is poppycock.

As you pointed out on their site:

period of 1 (one) year from the original date of purchase.

In Comps eyes, the original invoice/purchase order, is the original date or purchase. No one has informed them otherwise.

So its a bit like you mentioned with buying an RCA TV from walmart, keeping it boxed for 2 years, then selling it to your neighbor. As far as RCA is concerned, or knows, that TV was purchased 2 years ago, what you did in that time was up to you, but they no longer see it as their issue, or your neighbor as the original owner.

I think that is what Comp is seeing now, they are saying "maybe its new, maybe its not" as they were told it was sold whenever it was ordered in for a customer, X amount of months/years ago. So in order to update their records, the Comp Authorized dealer should have no issue updating its warranty status with Comp.

If they are not an authorized dealer, then its the same as one private party selling it to another. New or not, the original buyer had the original warranty, and those are 90% of the time non transferable in many industries.

getslideways
02-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Warranty is not initiated by a wholesaling to a retailer. That would be complete B.S.

If they are an authorized retailer then it sounds like updating the warranty should not have been an issue, just as you stated, and I agree. Otherwise its more than likely viewed as a private party sale, same as if joe schmoe ordered it, then decided to resell it to someone else. If hes not an authorized retailer or distributor then he is considered the original warranty holder, rather than a placeholder. If he was an authorized dealer, then updating the warranty clock should not have been an issue.

If Walmart sells my neighbor a TV, the warranty should start at that time of purchase.
If Walmart sells me a Tv and I sell it to my neighbor, the warranty would start with their sale to me, not my sale to my neighbor.

It sounds like due to Comp's "made to order" status they start the warranty at the same time as assembly, as they are sold and assembled in close proximity. So it seems that is why they use the manufacturing date in the fashion they do. For a retailer, it sounds like it is up to them to updated the year warranty when the final sale is made, should it vary from the actual initial order (such as ordering for a display unit, vs the order being placed to fill an immediate sale). It does not sound like Comp is pulling a turbo off their warehouse shelf that was manufactured 364 days ago and offering the customer a 1 day warranty.

If the item is in the authorized retailer's shelf for 6 months, then it sounds like the retailer is to notify Comp at the time of the final sale. It just seems like the dealer could have made this situation very easy if they were in fact an authorized distributor.

redline380
02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-313

getslideways
02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-313

Zandrew, the answer is so obviously clear, hire redline380 as your lawyer and go to court.

redline380
02-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Zandrew, the answer is so obviously clear, hire redline380 as your lawyer and go to court.

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that there is a warranty, and it starts at the time the consumer purchases it

zandrew
02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
You know that blowes my mind. The turbo was purchased by me from a dealer and I made this known to them. I have photos of brand new turbo and even the box I received it in. Redline you just made day. I am actually covered by their warranty and I am going to call them and ask why I am not. Now I don't know who I should speak with.

When you get down to the simple fact is that I had a turbo that simply last 3500 miles at a whopping 11psi. I bought the turbo last March from a dealer and their warranty seems pretty clear to me.

Trust me the warranty I had described to me was quite different......

Poopie
02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
UCC states the warranty period begins on the date of delivery. The date of delivery is in question because you don't have the paper trail for the turbo. If the dealer never "reset the clock" with Comp, then in Comp's eyes, this turbo may be out of warranty since it was in someone's possession for over their expressed warranty of one year. Get that original invoice, or hopefully you got you own stating you received a new turbo. You can say you bought a new turbo all you want, but where is the actual proof? This is the buyer's responsibility to provide. If you just paid with paypal with no other type of contract, I believe comp has every right to not to honor the contract, despite what was said in the email, because Justin merely stated the situation in which your turbo may be covered. Not "yes, your turbo is covered"

zandrew
02-17-2014, 05:35 PM
I do have the paper work for when it was bought and I forwarded it to them. Earnie used a cumulative BS excuse that he could not understand any of it. It seems like the only thing that comes from his mouth is that he can not understand it. Frankly as lil as Earnie comprehends I am befuddled how the hell they actually make it. You know he actually tried to tell me a billet blank for my turbo cost them $300? He also tried to ell me a cart cost $100 more then what Mike offered me the entire turbo for and then insisted Mike was losing Money.

I am sorry but I don't think any company should start a warranty until the product is put in the hand of the Consumer. Think about buying a new Vehicle. Most cars are produced the year before but lets say you buy a car with a 3 year warranty and after 2 years and 2 monthes it blowes up. Come t find out that the car was manufactured over 3 years ago. Your going to tell me you would be OK with your car not be warrantied since it was manufacturd 3 years ago though you have owned it for only 2 years and 2 monthes of that time?

Poopie you have a very good point. However you only got to see one tiny part of the email. What if the rest of it actually implied that my turbo specifically was covered?

Poopie
02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Date of delivery for an auto is when the paper work is completed for the buyer. Not the dealer. So that doesn't really apply here.

In your case the turbo was purchased for someone else and then resold to you. If it was it was unused, the dealer that sold it to you should have indicated the terms of agreement for the sale. If you just paid a guy with Paypal and no real invoice then I would consider it a secant hand item and you would just get the remainder of the warranty.

zandrew
02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
The first person did not purchase the item. He paid a deposit on the turbo and when they did not pick it up after 30 days it was sold to me. So it could not be a second hand turbo.

Honestly this is some ticky tacky BS. Look at the core situation, I bought a turbo that lasted less then 3500 miles (at 11psi!!!) and about 6 monthes. Instead of doing what is right or doing what they agreed upon they have dragged ass and done everything in their power NOT to cover it. Seriously after reviewing this would you want to buy something from them?

They will not give me a manufacture date and they did not disassemble the turbo. They don't even know when it was manufactured. When I bought this turbo it was listed on their site as a new Model which they called a CT2RS (funny I also have emails between me and Comp from before I bought it). My turbo has an aluminum bearing housing as well which is newer feature.

I actually lived with the fact that they did not want to warrant it. However if me and you are in a situation and I tell you "hey its not warranited but I realise the turbo was new when you got it and also it sucks that did not last. However I don't feel its right for it to come out of my pocket completely so I will make this right and do you a solid and build you a bb turbo for $300 plus shipping" You agree and everything is Ok. Then 2 weeks later nothing has been shipped and now the agreement has changed and I am telling you that you misunderstood me but it was fo a JB turbo and not a BB turbo and you damn well know it was BB turbo. You even have the conversation recorded.

Now if you are telling me you or anyone else would not be pissed then their is something wrong with you. I can live with the fact that their high dollar product took an epic shit on me and left me without my car for 5 weeks but what I can not stomach is the fact they set the terms to the resolution and I agreed and done my part and then for whatever reason they changed their mind and have the audacity to act like I am retarded and can not remember something.

M-Hood
02-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Poppycock or not it is what it is and he should have know before buying a turbo that someone was off loading for under wholesale price. There is a reason things are sold really cheap and being out of warrant is at the top of the list.

The person that sold it to him should have told him that he would need to fill out the Comp Turbo warranty card (http://compturbo.com/files/pdf/warranty_application.pdf)within 30 days of buying it. The seller should have also contacted Comp to tell them they just sold the product to someone and gave them the invoice number so they could reset the starting date of the 1 year warranty.

The first person did not purchase the item. He paid a deposit on the turbo and when they did not pick it up after 30 days it was sold to me. So it could not be a second hand turbo.

Zandrew you keep saying that but I have yet to see you post up a Comp Turbo invoice stating a date when it was sold to that person you bought it from. You said you asked him for it and he hasn't given it to you which to me says he is giving you the run around because he is blowing smoke up your skirt seeing the turbo wasn't 30 days old when he sold it to you. Plus the fact that the turbo was assembled with old stock kind of gives it away that it wasn't exactly a newly built turbo.

You should have just jumped on conforming it was ok for them to rebuild it for the special price they gave you and then you could have just sold it for the amount you were into it and went to a different turbo if you didn't want to run it anymore. That is better then being out the money you bought it for and no way of selling it.

Poopie
02-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Poppycock or not it is what it is and he should have know before buying a turbo that someone was off loading for under wholesale price. There is a reason things are sold really cheap and being out of warrant is at the top of the list.

The person that sold it to him should have told him that he would need to fill out the Comp Turbo warranty card (http://compturbo.com/files/pdf/warranty_application.pdf)within 30 days of buying it. The seller should have also contacted Comp to tell them they just sold the product to someone and gave them the invoice number so they could reset the starting date of the 1 year warranty.

Zandrew you keep saying that but I have yet to see you post up a Comp Turbo invoice stating a date when it was sold to that person you bought it from. You said you asked him for it and he hasn't given it to you which to me says he is giving you the run around because he is blowing smoke up your skirt seeing the turbo wasn't 30 days old when he sold it to you. Plus the fact that the turbo was assembled with old stock kind of gives it away that it wasn't exactly a newly built turbo.

You should have just jumped on conforming it was ok for them to rebuild it for the special price they gave you and then you could have just sold it for the amount you were into it and went to a different turbo if you didn't want to run it anymore. That is better then being out the money you bought it for and no way of selling it.

Forgot about the warranty card. Mine was filled out the day I received mine.

redline380
02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
As you pointed out on their site: In Comps eyes, the original invoice/purchase order, is the original date or purchase. No one has informed them otherwise.

Wholesale is not a purchase!

So because I buy something at wholesale prices, I don't deserve a warranty? You must have a terrible business model if that's how you think.

johnnybravo!
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I ran out of popcorn.. switched to corn nutz!

Poopie
02-17-2014, 08:58 PM
You originally said the dealer was closing out the product line. That's much more different than a buyer put a deposit on the turbo to be made and you picking up the rest of the tab. Seems hard to believe someone put 1k down on the turbo and walked away 30 days later. The whole transaction is funny. Seems like the dealer wasn't very honest with the history of the turbo.

Redline, it's not about the price, but how the turbo ended up in zandrews hands.

So this is what comp sees.
-guy claims he bought a turbo from a dealer that doesn't exist anymore
-turbo was a "close out"/old stock/left-over/whatever you want to call it.
-components are an old design
-configuration in a 5552 triple BB oil-less is a pretty unique configuration. Not hard to date back to time manufacture

What zandrew has presented
-images of the turbo as new (not definitive)
-original invoice (yet to see, comp claims it is unclear. Was there even an invoice number for comp to reference?)
-email with justin on what scenario the turbo would be covered
-recorded phone conversation about the original pricing (that he would not release to comp/owner)

The whole situation is cloudy as fuck. I am not surprised comp would find any way to not warranty the turbo.

zandrew
02-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Mike your opinion is anythng but impartial. Seriously I see you blow up Comp turbo suggestions just about any time someone asks about a turbo but I am blown away that you don't run one yourself. Not only have you not run one yourself but when you upgraded your turbo you had FP do it instead of Comp???

Now let me point out the facts since its obvious you have been in touch with Comp. I confirmed I wanted the work done 3x to Justin. He made the promise it would be out that day 3x times and nothing got shipped. When it was not shipped the final time its obvious Justin came up with an excuse for not having it shipped which was that they needed confirmation. Funny thing is when I called and blew my gasket Justin told me then all he needed me to do was tell him it was OK to do the work so it was obvious the email was just further BS. First it was supposed to be BB turbo shipped and when I got nothing I called back. Justin again told me my BB turbo would be shipped that day. Still nothing but when I called back the 3rd time it changes to JB turbo. Its not my fault Justin can not keep his word. Matter of fact he never once kept his word. How many fucking times do I need to confirm something to that pack of idiots before they get it? Hell I had to call 3 times just to get my refund and when they sent it it also took them 5 days when I was promised it would be done that day.

For the last time I did take the offer Mike. I actually sent you an email confirming I took their offer. Do I need to post a copy of that or have you been hit with whatever mind disease that is floating around Comp turbo???

Since it is obvious I am going to have to take Comp to court to find a resolution do you think I am going to post all the details here for you to collect and send back to Comp? What makes you think I don't have the invoice already? What makes you think I also did not send in a warranty card? Because Comp has not said I did not? Hmmmmm it does not appear they have been that truthful thus far so you keep hanging on each word they feed you. I already done that once and you know what happened???

Also how do you know what my turbo was built with and what it was not? The damn thing was not dissasembled at all. I have also found older photos online and nothing about my turbo screams old stock. Not the first damn thing. It seems the 52 turbines are still shaved from stage 3's. The back plates are still machined. The compressors are still billet. Yes they have changed the bearing housing. Unless Justin lied to me about it they were still being used on oil less option last year.

I'll tell you Mike and you can tell Comp but the person that should have jumped on an offer was Comp jumping on the offer we agreed too. The offer they made me.

I am not trying to be a dick to you Mike. I know you are going off what Comp told you. However disregard what you hear from Comp and hold judgement till you get to hear the conversations. I emailed Justin yesterday. He has the option to resolve it. If he chooses not to I will see this through as I am sure anyone else on this forum in my shoes would do.

zandrew
02-17-2014, 09:47 PM
You originally said the dealer was closing out the product line. That's much more different than a buyer put a deposit on the turbo to be made and you picking up the rest of the tab. Seems hard to believe someone put 1k down on the turbo and walked away 30 days later. The whole transaction is funny. Seems like the dealer wasn't very honest with the history of the turbo.

Redline, it's not about the price, but how the turbo ended up in zandrews hands.

So this is what comp sees.
-guy claims he bought a turbo from a dealer that doesn't exist anymore
-turbo was a "close out"/old stock/left-over/whatever you want to call it.
-components are an old design
-configuration in a 5552 triple BB oil-less is a pretty unique configuration. Not hard to date back to time manufacture

What zandrew has presented
-images of the turbo as new (not definitive)
-original invoice (yet to see, comp claims it is unclear. Was there even an invoice number for comp to reference?)
-email with justin on what scenario the turbo would be covered
-recorded phone conversation about the original pricing (that he would not release to comp/owner)

The whole situation is cloudy as fuck. I am not surprised comp would find any way to not warranty the turbo.

Poopie its actually pretty clear. Your making a big deal out of shit that does not matter. I don't care they did not to want to warrant the turbo for whatever reason they chose which I got several different ones. Comp has not proved any of their points. They can not say this is the day it was manufactured. They did not disassemble it and the serial number is on the back plate under the compressor. None of any of that matters considering all of those issues were kind of agreed on that it was mutual mistake that both me and Comp was partially liable for. What the issue is that I had a brand new turbo take a shit after 3500 miles at 11psi. After speaking with Justin since they felt part of the issue was whatever you want to call it (stupidity or misspeaking) we came to an agreement. That agreement was that I would get a New oil BB cart and have my housngs shaved for $300 plus shipping. I agreed to this offer and paid them. Then I call them back once they get my parts (the housings not the turbo) and Justin confirms the BB cart is ready and they should have it out that day. Awesome all is good. Then I don't get an email and nothing has been delivered so I call them back. "Don't worry bro, the bb cart is ready and shaving the housings don't take long so I will get it out today, I promise". Alright all is good. A couple more days pass and I call for a tracking number since I don't want this turbo sitting on my porch and now all of the sudden it is a Journal bearing turbo and my housings still have not been shaved.

Now what excuse is there for taking 10+days to shave housings that would have taken about 1 hour or 2 hours max? Seriously because Comp could not give me one. They are now trying to act like they needed confirmation from me? That is the biggest sack of horse shit ever. Never once did they email me for anything. I emailed them and they called me back instead of replying. The cart was ready on the Jan 29th and they had my housings and my payment but this BS excuse that they were waiting for me to send confirmation to the do the work but they did not email me til Feb 6th needing confirmation.

Yes Justin told me if I let him hear the conversation he would make sure I got the BB cart. He did not say hey if I told you BB cart and I got it mixed up I will make sure you get that. He said you let me hear the conversation and I will make sure you get the BB turbo. Hhmmmm....

I could very easily just have done that but you know what, Justin knew what the deal was for. He can keep playing the charades he is playing but when we go to court and he gets to hear it then he's going feel a bit ill considering the mess this simple issue turned into. Due to their ass dragging and whatever BS excuse they come up with it cost me several days of work and an extra 10 days car rental. So having them pay for plane tickets would make the situation closer to even. Then having them pay for the court costs and restitution as well. In the end it woud be simpler for them to have just done what they offered and I agreed too.

Poopie
02-17-2014, 10:33 PM
It's well known comp takes forever. It took 6 weeks to get my turbo and 3 weeks to surge my housing. Good luck in court.

zandrew
02-18-2014, 05:18 AM
They have always answered my questions in timely manner. Before the situation they would email quickly.

The other part is now if you talk to them about the oil less turbos they will tell you that they are for remote OR mid mounts. So between the time I got my turbo and now something has happened to make them realise this design is not good for underhood applications.

M-Hood
02-18-2014, 05:51 AM
Mike your opinion is anythng but impartial. Seriously I see you blow up Comp turbo suggestions just about any time someone asks about a turbo but I am blown away that you don't run one yourself. Not only have you not run one yourself but when you upgraded your turbo you had FP do it instead of Comp???

How many times do you have to be told Comp does NOT offer compressor wheel upgrades to Garrett GT turbos? I know this because I was trying to have the compressor wheel upgraded on a GT2871r but was told it could not be done after the turbo was in their hands, then I had them ship it to FP to have it upgraded with a HTA wheel. So please stop asking me why I didn't have mine upgraded by Comp when the facts are just simple as can be, they are NOT able to do it which is why I sent mine to FP. When it comes to Garrett turbos Comp only offers compressor wheel upgrades for the journal bearing series. They do not offer a compressor wheel that fits in place of the Garrett GT wheels. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Not sure how I am impartial when I run a HTA and I have been running a Garrett turbo for 10 years now, plus the fact that I suggest different brand turbo's to people based on on their needs and budget. I just base my opinion on what I know of you and Comp, I mean come on everyone here knows you love to argue with everyone even to the point of starting a thread asking a question so you can then argue your side of it. Pretty much like this thread, you sure seem to say plenty about the people at Comp but then contradict yourself by saying your not trying to bash on Comp.

Yes Justin told me if I let him hear the conversation he would make sure I got the BB cart. He did not say hey if I told you BB cart and I got it mixed up I will make sure you get that. He said you let me hear the conversation and I will make sure you get the BB turbo. Hhmmmm....

My guess is he said that because he knew you couldn't play it for him since he knew he didn't say it. That is how you call out a childish bluff move. Odd thing is you backed down when he called your bluff which pretty much says it was nothing but a bluff.

M-Hood
02-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Wholesale is not a purchase!

So because I buy something at wholesale prices, I don't deserve a warranty? You must have a terrible business model if that's how you think.

Wait so money being exchanged for a product and a invoice given doesn't make it a purchase? Sure the hell sounds like a purchase to me, plus the fact that money and product has changed hands and the person with it is now the owner of the part.

No one said you or anyone else doesn't get a warranty, but you sure the hell aren't going to have one if Comp has no idea you actually bought the turbo from someone else at a much later date then they sold it to the dealer.

I don't make the warranties, the manufacture does so my business model has nothing to do with it. I have gone out of my way to talk manufactures into covering something under warranty for a customer even though it was out of the warranty date. So please don't sit there and try to lecture me about how to run a customer oriented business seeing I have owned my own businesses since 1988 and all of them dealing with customers and products with a warranty period. Let me know when you have had 26 years of owning your own business.

redline380
02-18-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't make the warranties, the manufacture does

You're dead on here. The manufacturer makes the warranty. It is for the purchaser of the product. You never get a warranty on something as a retailer because it never comes out of the box! Sure, you could buy something as a retailer and actually use it. Then the warranty period would ensue. However, having a product sit on a retailer's shelf does not start the warranty period!

redline380
02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
I really don't want to research this issue any more, but this should start some discussion. keep track of that #4 footnote [;)]

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/redline380/temporary_zps1f4419f4.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/redline380/5dddf5df-2763-44b6-b9b2-e2b8de883d08_zps4811b591.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/redline380/483f754c-0276-4ff6-937a-56162fbad4df_zpsd4298b44.jpg

M-Hood
02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
You're dead on here. The manufacturer makes the warranty. It is for the purchaser of the product. You never get a warranty on something as a retailer because it never comes out of the box! Sure, you could buy something as a retailer and actually use it. Then the warranty period would ensue. However, having a product sit on a retailer's shelf does not start the warranty period!

That is why manufactures have warranty cards. So tell me this, did Russel (AKA Zandrew) fill out one within 30 days of buying the turbo from someone that is no longer a Comp Turbo dealer? No, so the warranty falls to when the turbo was shipped out by Comp seeing the person he bought it from isn't helping him in anyway.

Poopie
02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
i don't think the issue is with the warranty anymore, but how the pricing changed on zandrew. I don't know how the conversations went so oh well. Its all hearsay.

redline380
02-18-2014, 10:06 AM
That is why manufactures have warranty cards. So tell me this, did Russel (AKA Zandrew) fill out one within 30 days of buying the turbo from someone that is no longer a Comp Turbo dealer? No, so the warranty falls to when the turbo was shipped out by Comp seeing the person he bought it from isn't helping him in anyway.

Failing to fill out a warranty card hardly eliminates a warranty. Ask anyone. There is always some implied warranty unless specifically stated like "as-is." Maybe you should do yourself a favor and read through the uniform commercial code.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-314

Poopie
02-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Failing to fill out a warranty card hardly eliminates a warranty. Ask anyone. There is always some implied warranty unless specifically stated like "as-is." Maybe you should do yourself a favor and read through the uniform commercial code.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-314

Was there a contract between Zandrew and Comp? NO, it was a sale between the merchant (mystery dealer) and Zandrew. The implied warranty is only in affect if there is a contract that states "THIS TURBO IS GOOD FOR 1 YEAR FROM THIS DAY" and that is a guarantee offered by the merchant and not Comp anyway. Implied warranty comes from the seller, not the manufacturer if they are different. This prevents people from offering warranties that no longer exist. Say you buy an apple. The seller tells you the apple is fresh even though it sat on a shelf. You bite into one and they are rotten. You purchased the apple with the promise that it is a fresh apple when it is not. This isn't the farms fault.

Anyone still griping over the warranty really has an issue with the seller. Read Comp Turbos warranty.

The warranty states in the very first line

"Comp Turbo Technology, Inc. warrants new and remanufactured turbochargers to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 (one) year from the original date of purchase"

key word is original. If the turbo was originally intended for someone else's use in 2012, then the warranty is void at some point in 2013. Doesn't matter if it sat on a shelf. At the very least, the paper work should have been filled out to validate the warranty.

redline380
02-18-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm not going to research this issue any more because I have other school work to do. But from what I know off the top of my head, the consumer laws are generally in the favor of the consumer and not the manufacturer, supplier, or retailer. You'd think that some of the caveats brought up in this thread would bar Zandrew from recovery. Generally speaking, they do not.

The simple fact that Comp is trying to get around the warranty speaks volumes. Put this issue in front of a jury and I bet 9 out of 10 times the jury would be in favor of the consumer. Zandrew was under the presumption a warranty existed between him and Comp, regardless of the age of the product. It arrived at his doorstep unused, and he should have a one year warranty from the date of purchase.

Either way you spin it, this is bad policy on Comp's part. Put yourself in Zandrew's shoes. Youd be pissed too. And that's how a jury thinks. If Zandrew has no claim, it would never even get to a jury

getslideways
02-18-2014, 11:14 AM
There are too many unknown variables that the OP will not divulge to allow anyone to really make any real assessment of the situation. Zandrew has stated on numerous occasions that he has proof in the form of voice recordings, email transcripts, receipts, photos, etc.

However, he has refused to share pretty much any of it due to: "well I am going to court so I don't want to", so at that point why even make a thread about it? I agree with Poopie, at this point its all hearsay without any proof, nothing more than an accusatory story until proven otherwise. Its one thing to warn others about a vendor, but its another to make emotionally charged public accusations then offer zero tangible evidence to support those claims. At that point wouldn't it have been better if you waited till after your court date before you posted anything at all?

Without sharing any evidence it can read as nothing more than accusations and a conspiracy theory. "I know who really shot JFK, i have all the pictures, witness statements, video recording and proof to prove it... but I cannot show you. I just wanted you to know that you should hate Sean Connery".

As pointed out earlier, you noted you were upset that they did not honor a deal they offered you. However, you stated that you have a voice recording proving that offer to be true, yet when asked "ok show me that I said that statement, and I will honor my words" you won't produce. Then accused them of going back on their words. It sounds like Justin did not believe he said that, but was willing to honor the price if you produced the evidence you claimed to have proving he did. He made the offer based on the terms and threats you put forth, but you balked at his offer. Again, why threaten someone with evidence into giving you a price, if only to turn it down when they agree to the conditions of your threat?

"You have to give it to me for that price, I have audio recording proving you said that"
"ok, I do not believe I did, but if you provide me the proof that I said that I will honor my words and give you that price"
"Nope, I am going to sue you instead"

This entire thread suggests that an immense amount of damning evidence exists, but then provides almost none of it, and without those pieces of evidence its hard to read it as more than just a lot of story telling. This is not to say that what is being said is not true, however without evidence its merely a bridge made of paper, you cannot place much weight on it. I am more than happy to admit that Comp was 100% in the wrong if that's what the evidence you have points to, once of course that evidence is shared.

As for the warranty issue, we have zero proof that this turbo was even bought through an actual authorized dealer. So as of now that story might as well be viewed as a 3rd party, 2nd hand private transaction, where the warranty applies to the original customer and is not transferable, again until proven otherwise. If you have already sent Comp some of your evidence in the form of photos and receipts that prove your point, then why not share it here to garner support? You already sent it to them, so what are they going to do, re-save the file they already have, that you already directly gave them?

Again, this is not to call you a liar, or point any fingers, it is merely to say that until evidence is put forth, there is really nothing to be gained by continuing to read and argue any of this, as its all speculation as it currently stands.

I want to reiterate, I AM NOT CALLING, NOR INSINUATING THAT YOU ARE A LIAR, and I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO AGREE THAT COMP WAS 100% IN THE WRONG IF all the evidence, once presented, points in that direction. Without it though, we have to question. Its like the old saying "believe nothing of what you hear, and half of what you see".

When you post a new thread titled "OK Now Heres All The Proof Comps Full Of Liars" then I will gladly click on it (again, not that my opinion should matter to anyone). I neither support, nor oppose any party involved in this thread, and none of this is written from a place of anger, hostility, or frustration. I just feel arguing over hypothetical situations gains nothing. I look forward to partaking in an intelligent conversation at such a time when there is something tangible to discuss.

Until then, enjoy your court proceedings. I sincerely hope there are no hard feelings.

Poopie
02-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Its not bad policy, because if warranties get extended from "original date of purchase" to "original date of use" then i will buy all second hand unused products and sell them as new with full manufacture warranties and my hands will be clean.

redline380
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Its not bad policy, because if warranties get extended from "original date of purchase" to "original date of use" then i will buy all second hand unused products and sell them as new with full manufacture warranties and my hands will be clean.

I don't disagree. But I say the original date of purchase is when Zandrew bought it from the retailer. From what I can tell, he needed warranty service within one year of his original date of purchase.

Anecdotal evidence- When I worked at circuit city, basically all consumer electronics have a one year warranty. Even if we sold an open box or display item, the purchaser still had a one year warranty from the manufacturer.

zandrew
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
I bought the turbo last March which still means I have had the turbo for less then 1 year at this moment in time. I bought the turbo from a retailer. It was not second hand. It was never registered before I owned it.

Getslideways- Mike has already spoken with Comp about parts and pieces posted within this thread. Why would I post something here that proves my point and validates what douche bags Comp was to me? I don't know you from Adam. Hell you could be Justin from Comp Turbo for all I know. To further my point why would I post info and give Comp the chance to come up with yet more excuses since I am going to have to take them to Court?

When I first called Comp I told Justin if there was a possiblity that it was not covered to let me know and I would just buy the turbo from Mike. Justin told me "Not necessary, I will take care of you just send it in".

Poopie you are actually making my point for me. The turbo was not paid in full. Only a deposit made on it. The turbo was not paid in full till I sent the payment on it or atleast that is how I understand it. Since Comp can not tell me the date of manufacture and since they did not disassmble it I can not hear what Comp has to say since nothing they say can carry any weight. They based their conclusions off assumptions when they were in the position to say hey this turbo was made this date. The fact that they did not some something in and of itself.

The problem with your model is that I did not buy the turbo second hand. I bought it from a dealer. There warranty starting 1 yeaqr from date of manufacture is BS as well. Hell the cart I was supposed to get was ready and after 2 weeks I still did not have it. So I guess its fair people lose out on a portion of their warranty snce Comp obviously has worms. Hell if they don't have worms then I'd love to know why all they do is drag their ass.

Mike I hate to break it to you BUT I did fill out the warranty card within 30 days of recieiving my turbo. I also took photos of the turbo, sent a copy of the invoice that I paid, and a photo of the box it came it in. I also have a copy of the email I sent Comp after I shipped them those items to let them I know it was on the way. Let me guess Comp is saying they have no warranty card from me. I wouldn't take them on their word if I were you. I did several times and the only thing that happened is I wasted 5 weeks in expectation that they would do what they said they would.

nynoah
02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
I ran out of popcorn.. switched to corn nutz!

Now I am hungry for Corn Nuts... jalapeno style[up]

Poopie
02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Meh over it.

zandrew
02-18-2014, 06:42 PM
How many times do you have to be told Comp does NOT offer compressor wheel upgrades to Garrett GT turbos? I know this because I was trying to have the compressor wheel upgraded on a GT2871r but was told it could not be done after the turbo was in their hands, then I had them ship it to FP to have it upgraded with a HTA wheel. So please stop asking me why I didn't have mine upgraded by Comp when the facts are just simple as can be, they are NOT able to do it which is why I sent mine to FP. When it comes to Garrett turbos Comp only offers compressor wheel upgrades for the journal bearing series. They do not offer a compressor wheel that fits in place of the Garrett GT wheels. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Not sure how I am impartial when I run a HTA and I have been running a Garrett turbo for 10 years now, plus the fact that I suggest different brand turbo's to people based on on their needs and budget. I just base my opinion on what I know of you and Comp, I mean come on everyone here knows you love to argue with everyone even to the point of starting a thread asking a question so you can then argue your side of it. Pretty much like this thread, you sure seem to say plenty about the people at Comp but then contradict yourself by saying your not trying to bash on Comp.

My guess is he said that because he knew you couldn't play it for him since he knew he didn't say it. That is how you call out a childish bluff move. Odd thing is you backed down when he called your bluff which pretty much says it was nothing but a bluff.

Mike in this case if you picked up your phone and made one 5 minute call to Justin you would save yourself some embarassment. I guess Justin did not tell me he could do a GT turbo upgrade? Call him and get back to me.

Also Mike some Garrett GT tubos are actually Journal Bearing and not Ball bearing. However Justin did confirm he would do a GT3071R upgrade for me. The issue is that since Comp can not rebuild the GT turbos (which can be rebuilt) they can NOT offer a one year warranty on them. However he had no issue doing it if it was understood their was no availible warranty on the work.

getslideways
02-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Getslideways- Mike has already spoken with Comp about parts and pieces posted within this thread. Why would I post something here that proves my point and validates what douche bags Comp was to me? I don't know you from Adam. Hell you could be Justin from Comp Turbo for all I know. To further my point why would I post info and give Comp the chance to come up with yet more excuses since I am going to have to take them to Court?
The problem with your model is that I did not buy the turbo second hand. I bought it from a dealer.
I also took photos of the turbo, sent a copy of the invoice that I paid, and a photo of the box it came it in. I also have a copy of the email I sent Comp after I shipped them those items to let them I know it was on the way.

That is exactly my point. I am not suggesting you give them anything they do not already have. You stated YOU already sent them some of these photos, invoice scans, etc So if YOU already sent it to them, then THEY already have it, so why not post it here? What is the worst they are going to do, re-save it???

getslideways
02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Meh over it.

+1

M-Hood
02-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Mike in this case if you picked up your phone and made one 5 minute call to Justin you would save yourself some embarassment. I guess Justin did not tell me he could do a GT turbo upgrade? Call him and get back to me.

Also Mike some Garrett GT tubos are actually Journal Bearing and not Ball bearing. However Justin did confirm he would do a GT3071R upgrade for me. The issue is that since Comp can not rebuild the GT turbos (which can be rebuilt) they can NOT offer a one year warranty on them. However he had no issue doing it if it was understood their was no availible warranty on the work.

Call Justin for what? I have already talked to him many times over the last past 2 years about upgrading my GT35r, even up to the point right before I sent it to FP for the HTA86 wheel. I talk to them often enough to know what they can and can't do. The issues falls on what size the shaft is on the turbo and the height of the wheel that will be needed. Plus the fact that the GT35 compressor wheel has a nut that is part of the wheel and that is something that Comp does not offer, so their wheel would be too tall anyway. I don't need to talk to Justin again to get the same answer I already got before.

Yes I know there are journal bearing GT's, hell one of my customers runs a journal bearing GT35r on his A4 1.8t pushing over 35psi. You act like you are the only one that knows anything about Garrett turbos. lol

If there was an option to have Comp upgrade my compressor wheel on my Ball Bearing GT35r don't you think would have done it seeing it would have cost me less money and the fact that I could have went with a Comp ETT wheel?

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post

The problem with your model is that I did not buy the turbo second hand. I bought it from a dealer.

If you bought it from a Authorized Comp dealer then why in the world didn't you go thru the dealer to get the turbo fixed under warranty? That is how it is handled, hell some companies in this industry won't even talk to the customer if they bought it thru one of their dealers.

If you bought it from someone that is not a authorized Comp dealer or someone that was no longer an authorized Comp dealer then you basically bought it 2nd hand.

zandrew
02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Call Justin for what? I have already talked to him many times over the last past 2 years about upgrading my GT35r, even up to the point right before I sent it to FP for the HTA86 wheel. I talk to them often enough to know what they can and can't do. The issues falls on what size the shaft is on the turbo and the height of the wheel that will be needed. Plus the fact that the GT35 compressor wheel has a nut that is part of the wheel and that is something that Comp does not offer, so their wheel would be too tall anyway. I don't need to talk to Justin again to get the same answer I already got before.

Yes I know there are journal bearing GT's, hell one of my customers runs a journal bearing GT35r on his A4 1.8t pushing over 35psi. You act like you are the only one that knows anything about Garrett turbos. lol

If there was an option to have Comp upgrade my compressor wheel on my Ball Bearing GT35r don't you think would have done it seeing it would have cost me less money and the fact that I could have went with a Comp ETT wheel?

If you bought it from a Authorized Comp dealer then why in the world didn't you go thru the dealer to get the turbo fixed under warranty? That is how it is handled, hell some companies in this industry won't even talk to the customer if they bought it thru one of their dealers.

If you bought it from someone that is not a authorized Comp dealer or someone that was no longer an authorized Comp dealer then you basically bought it 2nd hand.

Mike I don't act like I am the only one that knowes anything about Grrett turbos but there is big difference between selling something and actually knowing hem from the inside out. Your talking about the nut being built into the compressor. Whoopity shit. That has nothing to do with upgrading the GT35R. The nut is simply built into the compressor to help prevent compressor slip at high psi. However when used with the proper nut and torque you will not have compressor slip. Hell Precision uses GT35 clone compressors and they have no issue with compressor slip. The only part you have to pay attention to is that the GT35R compressor has .250" stub shaft but the nut is the same nut for the smaller 6mm (.236") shaft. You know Comp has .250" compressor bore availible.

I already explained to you that I spoke with Justin and he had no issue upgrading my GT3071R. That is a Garrett GT turbo last time I checked. Stop blabbing and actually talk with him and then have the humility to get back on here and say your wrong. He even priced the work for me.

I spoke to Justin on the phone and explained my situation to a T. He did not tell me to contact the dealer I purchased it from. He told me to send it in. I have been emailing Justin and he did not know I bought it from a dealer so I guess some of this understandable. However I did explain to Earnie and he did know. Earnie insisted these turbos are only covered 1 year from Manufacture and insisted that sending them a copy of the invoice would do me no good. What Justin covered in the email would actually prove otherwise.

Oh and your customer is not running a Journal bearing GT35R. The "R" means ball bearing so that would be impossible. Also Garrett themself does not sell a GT3582. They sell a GT3782 but even its compressor is not the same size as the GT3582R. The GT35R has 56 trim compressor where the GT3782 has a 52 trim compressor. Just saying.....

zandrew
02-19-2014, 03:30 PM
That is exactly my point. I am not suggesting you give them anything they do not already have. You stated YOU already sent them some of these photos, invoice scans, etc So if YOU already sent it to them, then THEY already have it, so why not post it here? What is the worst they are going to do, re-save it???

Comp is acting like I did not send them a warranty card nor a copy of the invoice. I also discussed the fact I had an invoice and Earnie told me it was no good since the turbo was so old. Earnie described the warranty as 1 year from date of manufacture. Not one year from date received from end user.....

getslideways
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I do have the paper work for when it was bought and I forwarded it to them. Earnie used a cumulative BS excuse that he could not understand any of it.

Comp is acting like I did not send them a warranty card nor a copy of the invoice. I also discussed the fact I had an invoice and Earnie told me it was no good since the turbo was so old. Earnie described the warranty as 1 year from date of manufacture. Not one year from date received from end user.....

So did you or did you not send them a copy of the invoice?

If the answer is yes, then why not share that piece of evidence here. At that point you already sent it to them, they already have it, no further harm from them seeing what they supposedly already have.

zandrew
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
I sent them a copy of the Invoice when I sent in the warranty card. They are acting like they did not get them.

As I have said to you I don't know you from Adam and I can give a shit less if you believe me or not. The entire point of the post was not to get in a pissing match about wether I should have or should not have been covered. The point was to share my overall situation and my personal opinion on how it was handled (which was shity) so that others could be aware of it before considering purchasing their product. If you actually read some other posts and would do a bit of research you would quickly see they have some Customer service related issues especially considering telling customers something will be done and then it takes several weeks.

Also if you do not have them dead to rights for a warranty on THEIR terms they will not cover it. If they do choose to cover it good luck on getting the actual work done without running into countless excuses and empty promises.

If I had to do it again I would have bought the turbo through Mike Hood and let him deal with the situation since I am sure they are more considerate to him due to his higher volume of purchases. The person I bought the turbo through does not carry them anymore so even with the invoice it gives them little incentive to actually do right by me.

Getslideways if actually sending you a copy of the invoice would do me any good I would do it but we both know the answer to that. Comp is now acting like they want to resolve the situation. If we can not resolve it then we can go to court. If that is the final outcome I will post the results of that proceeding wether positive or negative for me.

As far as posting invoices, conversations, or anything else it ain't happening. As soon as Comp verifies they will cover the turbo if the invoice proves I purchased it within the 1 year time frame they will get the invoice and the issue will be resolved.

getslideways
02-19-2014, 08:48 PM
I sent them a copy of the Invoice when I sent in the warranty card. They are acting like they did not get them.

As I have said to you I don't know you from Adam and I can give a shit less if you believe me or not. The entire point of the post was not to get in a pissing match about wether I should have or should not have been covered. The point was to share my overall situation and my personal opinion on how it was handled (which was shity) so that others could be aware of it before considering purchasing their product. If you actually read some other posts and would do a bit of research you would quickly see they have some Customer service related issues especially considering telling customers something will be done and then it takes several weeks.

Also if you do not have them dead to rights for a warranty on THEIR terms they will not cover it. If they do choose to cover it good luck on getting the actual work done without running into countless excuses and empty promises.

If I had to do it again I would have bought the turbo through Mike Hood and let him deal with the situation since I am sure they are more considerate to him due to his higher volume of purchases. The person I bought the turbo through does not carry them anymore so even with the invoice it gives them little incentive to actually do right by me.

Getslideways if actually sending you a copy of the invoice would do me any good I would do it but we both know the answer to that. Comp is now acting like they want to resolve the situation. If we can not resolve it then we can go to court. If that is the final outcome I will post the results of that proceeding wether positive or negative for me.

As far as posting invoices, conversations, or anything else it ain't happening. As soon as Comp verifies they will cover the turbo if the invoice proves I purchased it within the 1 year time frame they will get the invoice and the issue will be resolved.

I apologize that I clearly hurt your feelings by not blindly taking every word you spoke as undeniable unbiased fact. I can see how my caution has caused you to become emotionally upset. Please accept my apologies. I was foolish to think that stories, like coins, often have two sides.

zandrew
02-20-2014, 05:39 AM
My feelings are not hurt but you proffer that your interest is in the other side of the coin. OK then I said what I feel that should have been said so now you know where I stand. Pick the phone up and call Comp and get their side.

Also Mike when you buy a Comp turbo you don't send the warranty card to the dealer, you send it to the manufacture. I have also noted others have contacted Comp directly with their issues so this would not be out of the norm.

The issue is actually quite simple one. After going over the situation with Comp instead of covering a turbo which was used for 6 monthes at 11psi and less then 3500 miles they came up with every excuse not too.

M-Hood
02-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Mike I don't act like I am the only one that knowes anything about Grrett turbos but there is big difference between selling something and actually knowing hem from the inside out. Your talking about the nut being built into the compressor. Whoopity shit. That has nothing to do with upgrading the GT35R. The nut is simply built into the compressor to help prevent compressor slip at high psi. However when used with the proper nut and torque you will not have compressor slip. Hell Precision uses GT35 clone compressors and they have no issue with compressor slip. The only part you have to pay attention to is that the GT35R compressor has .250" stub shaft but the nut is the same nut for the smaller 6mm (.236") shaft. You know Comp has .250" compressor bore availible.

I already explained to you that I spoke with Justin and he had no issue upgrading my GT3071R. That is a Garrett GT turbo last time I checked. Stop blabbing and actually talk with him and then have the humility to get back on here and say your wrong. He even priced the work for me.

I spoke to Justin on the phone and explained my situation to a T. He did not tell me to contact the dealer I purchased it from. He told me to send it in. I have been emailing Justin and he did not know I bought it from a dealer so I guess some of this understandable. However I did explain to Earnie and he did know. Earnie insisted these turbos are only covered 1 year from Manufacture and insisted that sending them a copy of the invoice would do me no good. What Justin covered in the email would actually prove otherwise.

Oh and your customer is not running a Journal bearing GT35R. The "R" means ball bearing so that would be impossible. Also Garrett themself does not sell a GT3582. They sell a GT3782 but even its compressor is not the same size as the GT3582R. The GT35R has 56 trim compressor where the GT3782 has a 52 trim compressor. Just saying.....

Like I said I have already talked to Justin many times about upgrading the compressor wheel on my GT3582R, he said he could not do anything for me. So I made a choice to go with the HTA86 wheel, it is just that simple and so how about you stop beating the dead horse seeing the turbo is already been in my car for over 6 months.

I did not mean to put the R it is just habbit, he told me he is running a journal bearing GT35 so I have to take his word for it. Could be that he is running a GT3782 but I don't see how seeing that only comes in a twin scroll T4 1.12 a/r housing. Garrett does offer a GT3571 but there is no way that is what he is running seeing it doesn't make power anywhere close to a GT3582r. He most likely bought it 2nd hand and that person most likely told him it was a journal bearing GT35 seeing there are a ton of threads all over the internet of people talking about that exact turbo. Hell it could even be this one (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/2gen-gs430-400-300-classifieds-98-05/603900-fs-garrett-gt35-journal-bearing-turbo-and-aem-fic-box.html)which was up for sale 3 years ago. Could be that he bought a Godspeed GT35-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Universal-Turbo-Charger-63ar/dp/B004ARX204) which looks just like a Garrett GT35 and is a journal bearing turbo. Maybe he ended up buying a journal bearing GT3582 off of Ebay seeing there is a ton of them on there. Doesn't really matter since he is looking to step up to a HTA3582 anyway seeing he wants to make 600+awhp like I do.

zandrew
02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Like I said I have already talked to Justin many times about upgrading the compressor wheel on my GT3582R, he said he could not do anything for me. So I made a choice to go with the HTA86 wheel, it is just that simple and so how about you stop beating the dead horse seeing the turbo is already been in my car for over 6 months.

I did not mean to put the R it is just habbit, he told me he is running a journal bearing GT35 so I have to take his word for it. Could be that he is running a GT3782 but I don't see how seeing that only comes in a twin scroll T4 1.12 a/r housing. Garrett does offer a GT3571 but there is no way that is what he is running seeing it doesn't make power anywhere close to a GT3582r. He most likely bought it 2nd hand and that person most likely told him it was a journal bearing GT35 seeing there are a ton of threads all over the internet of people talking about that exact turbo. Hell it could even be this one (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/2gen-gs430-400-300-classifieds-98-05/603900-fs-garrett-gt35-journal-bearing-turbo-and-aem-fic-box.html)which was up for sale 3 years ago. Could be that he bought a Godspeed GT35-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Universal-Turbo-Charger-63ar/dp/B004ARX204) which looks just like a Garrett GT35 and is a journal bearing turbo. Maybe he ended up buying a journal bearing GT3582 off of Ebay seeing there is a ton of them on there. Doesn't really matter since he is looking to step up to a HTA3582 anyway seeing he wants to make 600+awhp like I do.

I am not beating a dead horse. I spoke with Earnie about possible resolution to my issue and we considered a Compressor upgrade. When I spoke with Earnie he told me he could not do a GT turbo. I spoke to Justin about it and he informed it was not an issue of doing the compressor upgrade itself but more of the fact that when they do the upgrade they also rebuild the turbo so the turbo is essentially new when it leaves. They can not rebuild garrett GT turbos since they can not source a kit for them. I actually spoke with him about the fact that the GT turbos are actually pretty easy to rebuild and that the main issue with them is that they use steel ball bearings and it actually seems like Garett wants them to fail considering how cheap it is to replace the bearings with Ceramic grade 5 bearings (its actually 8 bearings per side and they are 4mm in size). The races do not wear and you simply reuse the poly cage that they use since Garret uses caged bearings opposed to uncaged.

Its not that they can not do it its that they can not offer a warranty on them.

Prcision used to sell a SC6152 which was GT35 compressor with Stage 5 turbine. They also made them with the Stage 3 turbine and I think the O trim. Some of the China stuff is getting really hard to tell that the comp covers are not Garrett.

M-Hood
02-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Well every time I talked to Justin about it I was told they couldn't do it for my GT3582R. For a while I was trying to sell my used GT35r to go with a 64mm Comp into the T3 .82 V-band housing I have on my car but everyone that was interested in it only wanted it if it was a HTA. So at that point I just called FP up and ask how long it would take and they said 1 week turn around, so off it went to get upgraded with the HTA86 wheel since I needed something that could flow more air in the high DA conditions I race in. If I was to change turbos right now I might consider going with the new BW 64mm FMW turbo since it is rated for 80 lb/min.