PDA

View Full Version : what can cause this!!! need help ASAP

md42685
02-08-2014, 08:28 AM
i idled my car for 10 to 15 mins to warm up then after driving for 3 mins it overheats and the coolant seems like its boiling. i had the radiator replaced because the mechanic said it was clogged but its doing the same thing as before i replaced it. i dont want to have this guy keep throwing parts at the car and hope it works. can the wrong coolant cause it to boil or seem like it is?? please help me

RickFLS4
02-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Thermostat?

Others probably have more constructive suggestions, as that seems too simple if you already changed the radiator for clogging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thermostate82
02-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Check your heater core but most likely its a thermostate or plug somewhere....

md42685
02-08-2014, 08:38 AM
is the thermostat an easy DIY? im ready to take my car back and do it myself

Nate01A4
02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
MAYBE HEAD GASKET? Use an exhaust gas coolant tester. ive done this test before with same issues and found exhaust gas leaking into coolant from bad head gasket. if you cant get ahold of a tester, you can put a pressure gauge on the coolant, rev the engine and see if the gauge rises. it will rise due to heat, but if its a bad gasket it will rise quick depending how bad the head gasket is. good luck

Seerlah
02-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Explain "seems"? Does the coolant recirculate?

md42685
02-09-2014, 05:49 PM
the level in the res. rises and bubbles over, sometimes when i remove the res cap to release pressure and sometime without me removing it. im not to positive its recirculating because the top coolant hose gets extremely hot but the one on the bottom drivers side coming out of the rad is cool to the touch and doesnt seem to pressurize cause i can squeeze the hose with ease. plus theres something that looks like sand in the res. as well the he claims its build up that got dislodged when the coolant flange went. but i didnt have any of these issues before the coolant flange went but when we got it back all these issues seem to arise. he keeps giving it back to us like this and everytime he does it seems to get worse

thenj3
02-09-2014, 07:02 PM
install a water pump and a thermostat while your in there and your set. if your car is an 01 then do a timing belt and tensioner and all that good stuff.

Avant Nate
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
On my allroad, I was going through coolant and it was running a little hot. My coolant cap was not holding the pressure well enough, so when I replaced it, problem fixed. I think it had that little boiling issue as well.