PDA

View Full Version : The quest for faster spool...

catbed
02-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Hello all, some of you may know my car but most probably don't. I have an 01 Avant that had a SPA manifold and a garrett 60 trim turbo on it. It cracked a while back and I welded it temporarily, and one of the wastegate bolts broke so I had to drill it out. A couple months ago it cracked again and the wastegate bolt did not want to stay in, so I said fuck it. I decided to take full advantage of the divided housing that was on the turbo already, so I started thinking about a twin-scroll manifold. A couple months later and here we are in all its glory:

please excuse the haggard looking valve cover, that's next on the list.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/12374807375_564e13771f_k.jpg

pic without wastegates and off the car:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7392/12374882685_3b5fb8d041_k.jpg

Some of the welds are better than others but hey, it was my first manifold and first time welding sch10 stainless.

Spool is increased dramatically, on the same tune as before. With the SPA manifold I was seeing 5-6psi at 3400RPM. With the full tubular and twin-scroll manifold I'm seeing wastegate pressure, which is 14psi!! The car is so much more fun to drive now, and actually has some torque for a 1.8L. I have yet to turn up the boost so I can't comment on top end, but this thing spools quick!! To my knowledge, this is the only T3 flanged twin-scroll manifold for a b5 a4.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Nice, Thats sweet I need to get into this thing they call welding.

AudiB5owner
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
[drool] Wow...

Never have seen a twin scroll mani for these cars. That setup is an absolute beast.

Seerlah
02-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Very nice! Why didn't you run your charge pipe to the other side of the rail to avoid the runners, vs heat wrapping them?

andyrew
02-07-2014, 07:23 PM
^Looks like his turbo charge pipe is welded.

Twin scroll would be cool. My wifes 13 genesis coupe has a large twin scroll turbo and Im suprized at how much turbo lag there is but it is a journal bearing turbo so ya.

redline380
02-07-2014, 07:37 PM
The only real issue with a twin scroll manifold on these cars is where the wastegates would go. Looks like you got creative and found a good solution. [up] When can I place my order?

catbed
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks all, just got back from a highway cruise. I can hit wastegate pressure of 14 psi at 3k RPM. I love this thing lol

Seerlah, I was thinking of doing I that way, but I wanted to put an intake and MAF down that hole. Doesn't seem like I'll be able to fit an OEM MAF of some sort down there so it might change.

Redline, the wastegate placement was tricky. Seeing as I bought two purple mvs I definitely wanted them on top. (Ya know, rice factor[cool]) I was originally tryin to dump them towards the back, but towards the front was much easier and had a ton more space.

ZimbutheMonkey
02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Sweet dude!!!! I had pretty much given up on someone actually running a twin scroll manifold on a stage 3 turbine. Now, the million dollar question is, were you running the twin scroll housing on the SPA manifold, or were you running a single inlet (i.e. a .63 A/R undivided) on the SPA manifold?

Problem is for an apples/apples comparison, you're very very likely going to have efficiency issues if you're running a divided manifold on a single port manifold. Then again, I guess there have been enough people running 60 trims with the regular .63 A/R housings that you could use their boost profiles as a guideline to compare the two.

So cool beans that you took the plunge and finally put that twin scroll housing to good use, and mad props for doing it yourself, I thought a shop had done it for you until I re-read your posts. Looks really really well done. [up]

catbed
02-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Sweet dude!!!! I had pretty much given up on someone actually running a twin scroll manifold on a stage 3 turbine. Now, the million dollar question is, were you running the twin scroll housing on the SPA manifold, or were you running a single inlet (i.e. a .63 A/R undivided) on the SPA manifold?

Problem is for an apples/apples comparison, you're very very likely going to have efficiency issues if you're running a divided manifold on a single port manifold. Then again, I guess there have been enough people running 60 trims with the regular .63 A/R housings that you could use their boost profiles as a guideline to compare the two.

So cool beans that you took the plunge and finally put that twin scroll housing to good use, and mad props for doing it yourself, I thought a shop had done it for you until I re-read your posts. Looks really really well done. [up]

Thanks man! Yea, it was the divided housing on the open manifold which like you said is inefficient. But the combo of full tubular runners to the flange and twin scroll makes it a huge jump in efficiency. It's crazy how much a spool difference there is, much more than I was hoping or expecting.

I did all the work myself at my buddy's shop called Powerhaus Performance. They just recently twin turbo'd a cls550 amg, first in the world. Thing is crazy. Anybody in the jersey/philly area definitely check 'em out.

melomandn
02-07-2014, 09:44 PM
This is awesome [up]

fed0ra
02-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Subscribing to this one. I think full race makes a twin scroll mani but I've never seen one being run. Always wanted a twin scroll EFR but for me that would be after I hit the lottery or doubled my salary.

Nice to see someone is actually running a twin scroll setup. Is your turbo ball or journal bearing?

catbed
02-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Subscribing to this one. I think full race makes a twin scroll mani but I've never seen one being run. Always wanted a twin scroll EFR but for me that would be after I hit the lottery or doubled my salary.

Nice to see someone is actually running a twin scroll setup. Is your turbo ball or journal bearing?

Full race makes one for the EFR yes, buy those are internally gated turbos. My 60 trim is journal bearing.

bw86
02-08-2014, 09:56 AM
sweet - I need a TS manifold

spindoctor
02-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Wow that's a big difference! What pipe material did you use ?

Can't wait for mine to be pieced up *hint hint EFR + full race ** :p

Seerlah
02-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Still have to give you props again. That was very nicely done [up]

catbed
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Wow that's a big difference! What pipe material did you use ?

Can't wait for mine to be pieced up *hint hint EFR + full race ** :p

Used sch 10 304 stainless for the manifold and 1.5" stainless for the dumps.

Lol, Thanks again seerlah.

I revised the tune a little bit more today. Car pulls much smoother and sounds healthier all around. Currently tuned for 20 psi. I'll post some logs when I get a chance.

M-Hood
02-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Full race makes one for the EFR yes, buy those are internally gated turbos. My 60 trim is journal bearing.

The Full-Race TS EFR manifold is a T4, I still have the original one that was made on my car 2+ years ago but will be going to Danny to run in his B5 A4.

There was a A4 (B6) owner that ran a twin scroll manifold with a twin scroll 3076r but with a single EWG, he sold his B6 and ended up buying a B5 S4. I think Shawn also did a TS manifolds setup on his B6, but he sold that and bought a BMW. There really isn't a different between a B5 and B6 manifold, only difference on the cars is the shape of the shock tower.

As your picture shows it is a really tight fit for a dual EWG setup on a tube manifold, which is why Full-Race has kept turning me down to do one for the A4 since it puts the turbo in a very awkward position.

fed0ra
02-12-2014, 12:19 PM
You should start selling these. The idea of having a TS GT3071R in my car one day makes me happy.

SleeperAvant
02-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Wow great job!