PDA

View Full Version : HEater core going?

Neill555
02-07-2014, 01:50 PM
So I know the valve covers gaskets need replacing ASAP on my 97 A4 V6 2.8l 12V Quattro and the 12V is only a 2 hour job.

But when the heat is on I smell something. I thought it was oil but another guy told me it was the heater core and I felt underneath on the carpet and it was very mildly damp. Not sure if it's condensation or what....

Another mechanic told me about Rislone Head Gasket fix sealant http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0380847P/rislone-rislone-head-gasket-fix-reviews/reviews.htm and he said he has done it almost 10 times and it worked 100% of the time as long as the heater core is in the initial stages.

However I am wondering since I read you can't mix anything with the G12 pink coolant so I don't want to completely screw this up but I'd like to try it.

Gets great reviews.

thanks.

nynoah
02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Lets put it this way... head gasket sealant does not have the brains to target the only place you need it. It might also plug up your head or your radiator too. Just something to think about.

Neill555
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
anhyone have experience with anything like this? especially for th eheater core? this guy swears by it.

getslideways
02-08-2014, 02:55 AM
if your windows are fogging up, just replace the core. Its a crummy job, but just just man up, fill your fridge with beers, and tackle it. I just did this 3 weeks ago on an MK4 Jetta after trying to convince myself it could be anything else, yet in the end it all had to come apart. I got it torn apart and back together in one day in the driveway, so set aside some time, order a pizza, invite your friends over, and go to town. You do not want it to fully blow, then you'll have a bigger mess on your hands

Those bandaide fixes may work, but what else are they doing in the process?

Any job
big or small
do it right
or not at all

TomT2411
02-08-2014, 07:43 AM
So I know the valve covers gaskets need replacing ASAP on my 97 A4 V6 2.8l 12V Quattro and the 12V is only a 2 hour job.

But when the heat is on I smell something. I thought it was oil but another guy told me it was the heater core and I felt underneath on the carpet and it was very mildly damp. Not sure if it's condensation or what....

Another mechanic told me about Rislone Head Gasket fix sealant http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0380847P/rislone-rislone-head-gasket-fix-reviews/reviews.htm and he said he has done it almost 10 times and it worked 100% of the time as long as the heater core is in the initial stages.

However I am wondering since I read you can't mix anything with the G12 pink coolant so I don't want to completely screw this up but I'd like to try it.

Gets great reviews.

thanks.
I have the same problem I replaced the heater core, thermostat, and climate control and my heat still doesn't work I still don't know whats going on with my heat.