PDA

View Full Version : Coilover true or not?

TomT2411
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Hey, car just got back from the shop today because it was leaking antifreeze and when they had it there they were like to me you car is too low and the strut is going to go though the fender because they drove it and said it has no bounce or anything. So they were like that to me. I have ST Coilovers on my 01 right now and have like an inch of clearance to the ground if I keep it low and keep hitting bumps is my strut going to go through the fender?

Cgoon009
02-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Uh man, you have to type better. As for your question, I doubt the control arms could go through the fender (And if they did, it would be the least of your worries) But if the clearance was low enough, they might strike the fender and dent it. I am not sure of the full travel but I could see it being a possible risk. Just lift the car a bit and run larger wheels. That would be the most effective way to reduce the risk.

Mad Cow
02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
What? Strut through fender? That's literally impossible with the B5 platform, even the the strut mount completely disintegrated that thing's not going anywhere. Sounds like a mechanic tried to sound smart and failed miserably.

Also learn to type, first lesson: don't write something as if you were talking, you actually have the ability to go back and form proper sentences instead of typing a random stream of thoughts spliced together by "and they were all like x" "and I was all, NO WAI", etc.

Cgoon009
02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
What? Strut through fender? That's literally impossible with the B5 platform, even the the strut mount completely disintegrated that thing's not going anywhere. Sounds like a mechanic tried to sound smart and failed miserably.

Yea I chose to assume he meant control arms, and even then I have never heard or seen something like that before.

TomT2411
02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Uh man, you have to type better. As for your question, I doubt the control arms could go through the fender (And if they did, it would be the least of your worries) But if the clearance was low enough, they might strike the fender and dent it. I am not sure of the full travel but I could see it being a possible risk. Just lift the car a bit and run larger wheels. That would be the most effective way to reduce the risk.

Also learn to type, first lesson: don't write something as if you were talking, you actually have the ability to go back and form proper sentences instead of typing a random stream of thoughts spliced together by "and they were all like x" "and I was all, NO WAI", etc.

I know sorry I just didn't know how to explain it well over here.

Cgoon009
02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
It's says you are from NJ, if English is not your first language then I understand. I thought you were a native.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

crazyquik22023
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
No, your strut can most definitely not go through your fender. If you are lowered a lot your upper control arms will hit your rain tray. Nothing to really be concerned about. Some people just cut their rain trays to go extremely low, but I doubt the control arms will be able to go through your rain tray.