PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t aeb 2.0t coil issues?!? Slamming head on keyboard!!!

rvca3112
02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
I just rebuilt my aeb bottom end. Long story short I did the 034 coil conversion because of added potential thy offer. I'm fuggin wrong!!! They've been nothng but headaches since I did them. I keep blowing coil packs!! They'll last for maybe 150-200 miles the. POP POP POP POP I get the misfiring. I don't even have the spark plugs gapped higher to even benefit from the newer "cheaper" coils. I've checked the wiring and everything is fine. I'm running ngk race plugs gapped to .32. I drive the car very spiritedly.

Is there anything that anyone can think of that I can check out or is this just a common issue?

Mad Cow
02-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Ideally you'd want to adjust your ignition well time to be more in line with what these coils run from the factory. It's a big enough difference that some people have constantly burnt out coils, most people have no issues but there is a minority that goes through coils like you do.

rvca3112
02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
So what would you recommend? I checked the wiring. The spark plug gap is stock. Should I redo the spark plug gaps or something?

BaseDrifter
02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Here's some more info on dwell time: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/543915-What-spark-plugs-for-stage-3-w-2-0t-FSI-coil-conversion

Mad Cow
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
There's not much you can do with an AEB, you'll either need to find a tuner that can adjust dwell maps on your ECU or convert to DBW and do it yourself.

demonmk2
02-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Check the harness for the coilpacks ( factory harness ) make sure there
Are no breaks in the wires or insulation rubbed off or cut and recheck the ground
For the harness.
If the wires feel hard and brittle I would replace it.

rvca3112
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Check the harness for the coilpacks ( factory harness ) make sure there
Are no breaks in the wires or insulation rubbed off or cut and recheck the ground
For the harness.
If the wires feel hard and brittle I would replace it.

I replaced the wiring harness when I did the upgrade.

rvca3112
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
There's not much you can do with an AEB, you'll either need to find a tuner that can adjust dwell maps on your ECU or convert to DBW and do it yourself.

Is it difficult to do a dbw conversion?

redline380
02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Is it difficult to do a dbw conversion?

If you are AEB, the hardest part is the pedal upgrade, which I have heard isn't too bad.

If you keep blowing coilpacks, you have an issue. Im guessing it isn't the dwell, but it could be. Hows the wiring, condition wise?

Mad Cow
02-06-2014, 05:42 PM
It's not that difficult, but it aint easy. If you're not comfortable reading wiring diagrams and modifying/creating wiring harnesses I wouldn't advise it. It's not something you can do over the weekend, no matter how well you plan everything out you'll run into random problems. Basically you'll need an ECU, engine harness, some sensors, pedal cluster, and a bunch of plugs and wiring. Remember also that you'll need a brand new tune for the DBW ECU so you'll have to factor that into the cost.

rvca3112
02-07-2014, 06:08 AM
So it could possibly be my tune you guys think? I had my car tuned by epic tuning (jfonz) they were aware if the modifications.

Mad Cow
02-07-2014, 06:25 AM
It's very likely your tune, ask jfonz if he can adjust the dwell first, if he can't you can decide from there.