PDA

View Full Version : v6 30v with 250+whp?

mdrolet77
02-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a b5 a4 and I'm wondering if it can get 250 to 300 whp without too much trouble with the v6 or if I should just go with the 1.8t... car will be a dd but I only do bout 8 miles round trip and the car will be stripped down for use on road course. I'm not looking to make a monster out of it I just want to have something decently fast for the track with awd for my winter commute

Bordom
02-06-2014, 07:18 AM
You can grab the stock S4 and use that. But if you're dead set on the V6 then you would have to supercharge it. Not a whole lot of gains N/A.

Or grab the 1.8T, Chip it and some minor mods and you're golden.

redline380
02-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Get an s4.

LINDW4LL
02-06-2014, 07:28 AM
No chance of 250whp.

A tuned S4 will get you to 250-280whp though.

mitchelrebolo
02-06-2014, 09:24 AM
i've heard that with the v6 in the a4, the bottom end won't be able to handle the power and let go

mdrolet77
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Guess I'll look into the s4 though I haven't seen many for sale around here.

A1 A2 German
02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I had a supercharged V6 with all the goodies & bolt ons.............people who rode in it compared it to an S4 or in otherwords............. slow.

Stay away from the V6.

mdrolet77
02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
I had a supercharged V6 with all the goodies & bolt ons.............people who rode in it compared it to an S4 or in otherwords............. slow.
Stay away from the V6.

So you're saying I should go with the v8?

GOODBYNAAIR
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Stock B5 S4 is 250 chp New, not a 12 year old car. still will get out of its own way. But if you want the V6 S4 you will needr a tune to make it move a little faster. I kept up with a Auto stock B5 s4 with my 1.8t sgt 2 with all bolt ons and fmic. Im not saying my 1.8t was fast at that point its just the S4 was not that fast.. V8 S4 (b6) is a sweet car but really search up on that one cuz it can be a real money pit!

mdrolet77
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
What I've learned over time is that any car can be a money pit. Proper care will go a long way though. I've read about the engine problems and it doesn't seem that bad. I was originally looking at bimmers but the 4 I've inspected had cracked shells so it kinda turned me off and I didn't really want to go with a 4 cylinder since they tend not to last at those power range and the torque is just inexistant in the low end.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
not pushing the 4 banger thing but lots of people here (and B6 cars) have made around 250whp if not more with the 1.8t and drove it for miles and miles. Seems that more the turbos and other things go before the motor if you set it up right from the start. just my $.02

I wanted an S4 but could not find a clean one around me at the time so went with the A4. I did not really want the 4 cylinder but after some research and no luck with S4s. I gave it a shot looking back now happy I did. This being said I would still love an S4 one day.

Corrado_Guy
02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a b5 a4 and I'm wondering if it can get 250 to 300 whp without too much trouble with the v6 or if I should just go with the 1.8t... car will be a dd but I only do bout 8 miles round trip and the car will be stripped down for use on road course. I'm not looking to make a monster out of it I just want to have something decently fast for the track with awd for my winter commute

You can do it with the 034 Motorsport single turbo kit which will get you close to that on the 30V V6. The 1.8T can do the same without worrying about popping it if you do all of the supporting mods. The V8 is s little different because it doesn't have a lot of mods but it has torque down low which neither of the other motors do. The V8 has a larger displacement and goes well by itself but you won't get a lot more than stock out of it without paying for it. The newer V8 motors also have timing chains in the rear which is a real bitch to change and they also have their own issues.

My car puts down to the ground the same power that a stock B5 S4 puts to the crank and I drive it every day and have never had any issues. The only problems I have had are common issues with the chassis that hits all models and things I have broken beating on the car. I maintain it and repair anything that is suspect before it becomes a problem. No matter what you do any car with more horsepower than stock will need special treatment. I cut all of my service intervals in half just to make sure everything is in good shape. My car is a BT car with a moderate turbo and if you add all of the mods on top of the basic turbo you are looking at $5,000 - $7,000 in upgrades to get it there. You have to change the intake, exhaust, fuel, mounts, software, injectors, and turbo setup to make it all work right. If you do the same with the V6 or 2.7T you will be paying the same or a bit more so in the end it is really up to you.

The 1.8T can make huge power, it is reliable, huge amounts of mods, the car is lighter, has better weight distribution, cheaper insurance, can be low-key, and is the same car as all other B5 car so you can swap all sorts of things into it. These cars have AWD which is great in all seasons and they still look good for their age and people are still modding them.