PDA

View Full Version : Squealing sound in the front of my Vehicle, Concerned....

zandrew
02-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a funky high pitch Squeal coming from the front of my engine bay and my first concern was timing belt or its tensioners. At this time I do not believe it to be the TB since the previous owner had the timing belt and it components done at 118xxx miles and it now has 133xxx miles. I actually have the receipt for the work and parts used so I am confident it was done correctly.

When the Squeal first started it would only happen every so often. If I turn on my AC it would go away though so I was assuming it was the AC unit or its tensioner. Today I removed the AC belt and tensioner to see if it would resolve it but it did not. I then removed the timing belt upper cover and listened but that did me no good as well as I can still just get a general feel for it. It sounds like it may be in the upper TB components or the electric fan. What is weird though is if I give the car gas it will not increase with the RPM's. Its steady. The other funny thing is when I shut my hood it made the squealing stop completely but after driving to the store and back its doing it again.

I have a video and I will try to load it for you to hear but has anyone encountered this issue? The possible suspects so far are crank bolt loosened, TB tensioners, electric fan.

Thanks in advance.

nynoah
02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Its cold, find some anti squeal stuff for your belts and shoot some on there. If that changes it, then it is your accessory belts. Which people change timing belts all the time and not the accessory belts.

Mad Cow
02-04-2014, 06:57 PM
My guess is it's the fan, when mine died it made a lot of weird noises randomly. If it doesn't chance in pitch with RPMs it's not attached to the drive system, must be the fan.

nynoah
02-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Fan also makes sense because it is viscus so as it gets colder...well

zandrew
02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
When you shut the car off it squeals for maybe 2 seconds after the motor stops then it stops. This and the fact that the squeal does not change pitch with RPM makes me think its something different.

Which fan though considering there is an electric and a manual fan?

Mad Cow
02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I was talking about the electric fan. Try spinning the blades to see if makes any noises or feels rough.

zandrew
02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I wonder if I can disconnect it all together? I will spin by hand and see what happens though.

Thanks

jerrone
02-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I hate to be that guy who blurts out a curve ball and throw anything off, but here's my 2...

it may be the alternator, I had very similar symptoms two weeks ago.

kraylon
02-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Im guessing its your fan, a friend of mine that has a 03 GTI would make the same sound randomly as yours does, and finally he figured out it was the fan that was causing that noise and the sound quit happening randomly because the fan finally died.

I saw a replacement fan on the classifield section on this site you might want to check out the classifields for it could save you a buck or two

Sp00led
03-14-2014, 11:20 PM
I hate to be that guy who blurts out a curve ball and throw anything off, but here's my 2...

it may be the alternator, I had very similar symptoms two weeks ago.

Agreed. My 2000 1.8t made squeeling noises off and on for 3 months and two weeks ago the accessory tensioner blew apart and turned my belt into spaghetti. The tensioner pulley came apart and made a perfect cookie cutter circular hole in my timing belt cover. Replaced belts and tensioners and all seemed good for about a week then the squeeling started again. Then today, less than 800km (500miles) after the repair my alternator died on me.
So, I'd suggest removing the alternator (cause its fairly easy to do), and take it somewhere that can test or refurb it.

Sp00led
03-14-2014, 11:33 PM
A few pics of the failed tensioner and the circular cut made in the timing cover

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oknkajxtg03bsdi/HHBuxBipND

I realize that this isn't a new thread but I'm thinkin someone else will have the same problem down the road.

zandrew
03-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Mine does not increase or decrease with RPM. It is steady sound when it comes on. Mine actually is the auxillary electric fan which is weird. If the heat is on it squeals; sometimes. With it off it never squeals.