PDA

View Full Version : few quick questions on build

Nate01A4
02-04-2014, 04:11 AM
I am doing a stroker build. Engine is AWM 06A. I got the FSI crank, and upon inspection, found some rust on the mains that caused some pitting. I am too nervous to run it.
Question, will the AEG crank also work? tried searching, but cant find a for sure answer. cast vs forged

I am needing a head gasket and need to know what the stock HG thickness is? I have wossner stroker pistons 9.2:1 cr and recomends using stock thickness.

last question, I saw some pics of crankshafts that have a pilot bearing in them for manual trans. My AWM crank and FSI crank are both for manuals, but do not have the bearing. I always thought the pilot bearing was just in the flywheel. Should I have a bearing in the crank too?

Thanks for any help

redline380
02-04-2014, 04:20 AM
aeg crank works fine, stick with stock gasket, and you need a pilot bearing

nynoah
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
I don't think you can run a stock head gasket with +2mm over pistons that a 2.0 stroker kit uses. You can however buy the correct head gasket from 034 motorsports.

Nate01A4
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
thanks for the replies. I knew I needed to get a gasket for oversized pistons, but need to know the thickness. I found a cometic head gasket for only $75 from import performace. but they list a bunch of thicknesses. not sure wich one I need?

so, I wonder what happened to my pilot bearing!! Had the clutch done at Eich Motors VW dealer here about a 2 years ago maybe they forgot to put it in. They forgot to put the heat shield back on by the drive shaft, and after that there was a funny noise from under the car, they said my rear end was bad, I looked at it and all it was is the exhaust hitting! so maybe they forgot the pilot bearing too!

M-Hood
02-05-2014, 05:56 AM
I don't think you can run a stock head gasket with +2mm over pistons that a 2.0 stroker kit uses. You can however buy the correct head gasket from 034 motorsports.

Sure you can, you just need to know which brand of OE head gasket to get. I run a Victor OE head gasket on my 2032cc which has a 83.5mm bore, there are plenty of others running the same brand gasket on their 2 liter setups which includes Aaron with the drag car that makes nearly 900whp.

so, I wonder what happened to my pilot bearing!! Had the clutch done at Eich Motors VW dealer here about a 2 years ago maybe they forgot to put it in. They forgot to put the heat shield back on by the drive shaft, and after that there was a funny noise from under the car, they said my rear end was bad, I looked at it and all it was is the exhaust hitting! so maybe they forgot the pilot bearing too!

Pilot bearing should always be in the crank unless someone took it out, the pilot bearing pretty much gets forced into the hole in the crank since it is a very tight fit. Just taking it out is a huge PITA if you don't have the right tool. If you bought the FSI crank new it might not come with the pilot bearing which you will just have to get.

Seerlah
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Bring the crank to a machinist and have him check it out to see if he can clean it and still have it in spec. If not, then source a different crank. FSI is better due to being lighter.. But you can use the AEG or FSI crankshaft for the stroker.

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Sure you can, you just need to know which brand of OE head gasket to get. I run a Victor OE head gasket on my 2032cc which has a 83.5mm bore, there are plenty of others running the same brand gasket on their 2 liter setups which includes Aaron with the drag car that makes nearly 900whp.

Pilot bearing should always be in the crank unless someone took it out, the pilot bearing pretty much gets forced into the hole in the crank since it is a very tight fit. Just taking it out is a huge PITA if you don't have the right tool. If you bought the FSI crank new it might not come with the pilot bearing which you will just have to get.

m-hood thanks. not sure why my AWM cranks didnt have the pilot bearing, but will put one in when going back together.
Also I checked the Victor catalog on the HG. from what I understand, it says that head gasket is only good to 82.5mm. My pistons are 82.5mm so should work on mine! Thanks and way cheaper than Cometic! but you said you got 83.5mm? how long have you ran it? if the catalog is correct, you are over the bore limit.

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Bring the crank to a machinist and have him check it out to see if he can clean it and still have it in spec. If not, then source a different crank. FSI is better due to being lighter.. But you can use the AEG or FSI crankshaft for the stroker.

just called the guy who will be doing my cylinder work and asked him price to turn the fsi crank and said about $150. The aeg crank I found is $125. Gonna just get the FSI crank fixed. Just sucks I already got the main bearings! If you know any one needing some ACL race series main bearings let me know. they are uncoated standard size.

redline380
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
just called the guy who will be doing my cylinder work and asked him price to turn the fsi crank and said about $150. The aeg crank I found is $125. Gonna just get the FSI crank fixed. Just sucks I already got the main bearings! If you know any one needing some ACL race series main bearings let me know. they are uncoated standard size.

who is doing the machining? remember, I am from Sauk Rapids too

You need to check with Auto Value in St. Cloud. That's who did all my work

Seerlah
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Get your rotating assembly balanced. And not sure if you have seen this?

http://www.performancebyie.com/pin

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 04:26 PM
another question. I am replacing intake and exhaust valves. using supertech valves. should I replace the valve guides? they are just so expensive. I have about 125k miles on the original ones. my original plan was to replace them, but just wana know what others think. Thanks

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 04:35 PM
who is doing the machining? remember, I am from Sauk Rapids too

You need to check with Auto Value in St. Cloud. That's who did all my work

The place I am going is DC machine. I know the guy from a coworker. he builds race engines. he is out in Foley. he seems to know his stuff. what did auto value charge for bore and honeing the block? I just get nervous going to auto value. they are the same guys who been working there for forever now. and few people told me to stay away from there. and this guy in foley will help me with everything

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Get your rotating assembly balanced. And not sure if you have seen this?

http://www.performancebyie.com/pin

Yah I asked about balancing everything just today. the guy helping me said he can do all that too.
I just came across that timing gear last week. I was thinking about it for sure! are these original 4 bolt ones realy that prone to breaking? I also have an OEM 6 bolt gear that came with the fsi crank. do they break much too?
Thanks

redline380
02-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I just get nervous going to auto value. they are the same guys who been working there for forever now.

These two sentences contradict one another. They have been working there forever, and have a ton of experience. I would not hesitate having them do anything to my engine. Here is the bill from my block. "Net" is the actual price I paid for each thing. I don't know why they include "List price." Bore and hone is $20 a hole, which is why it comes to $80.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/redline380/temporary_zps13e1d7cc.jpg

Seerlah
02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
do they break much too?
Thanks

I have yet to see one case. But I don't work in a shop.

Nate01A4
02-06-2014, 05:22 PM
they probobly are good but people from work recomended me not to go there.and the guy im working with will help me with the balancing and has built many race engines, so I feel confident with his work. thats not a bad price though.

redline380
02-06-2014, 05:32 PM
they probobly are good but people from work recomended me not to go there.and the guy im working with will help me with the balancing and has built many race engines, so I feel confident with his work. thats not a bad price though.

My old landlord runs a diesel shop kind of by SRRHS. Every single engine part that needs attention gets sent to Auto Value. And it is for a reason. Hands down, if it were me, I'd bring it there. Great prices, and the dudes working there are old as fuck, which means they are wise. I'll admit I was skeptical about bringing some "new fangled" 20 valve cylinder head there when I had them check it, but they knew exactly what I was talking about.

My engine/head combo has 7k on it, so not much, but no failures yet.

M-Hood
02-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Yah I asked about balancing everything just today. the guy helping me said he can do all that too.
I just came across that timing gear last week. I was thinking about it for sure! are these original 4 bolt ones realy that prone to breaking? I also have an OEM 6 bolt gear that came with the fsi crank. do they break much too?
Thanks

Might want to see if those that had a 4 bolt break on them were just running a fully stock motor. I am still running a OEM 4 bolt on my 058.

nynoah
02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
I run a dowel pin 4 bolt.