PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller

quattro411
07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have a link to where I can find a cheap Boost Controller, and whats the highest psi a stock turbo can handle without over stressing it?

ncttrnl
08-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Don't do a boost controller. A decent one is like 200 bucks unless you go really chip and potentially really dangerous for your engine.

Its better to just get yourself a chip. You'll make more power for not that much more money. I think chips are in the 500 dollar range now.

Look at APR, GIAC, and Revo in no particular order. They all have great chips that will make your car feel like an entirely different beast with additional fueling, boost, and timing.

quattro411
08-01-2005, 06:07 AM
I will eventually have to get one when I upgrade my turbo this winter, if you know where i can get one for around 200 that would help me out. For the chip, how much of a difference have you noticed?

Hutash
08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
A lot!

EVIL-AUDI
08-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Why do you NEED to get one? Do you really understand the reason why they are used in some of our cars applications?

quattro411
08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
I want to get one so i know what psi my car will run best at. I just want to know where to find the best one for my buck, its my money so you don't gotta worry about it.

ncttrnl
08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The best money for your buck if you are going to get a turbo upgrade this winter is to just wait and get a chip to match your turbo.

All a boost controller does is make your wastgate stay closed longer so your turbo pushes harder. A chip adds fuel and timing into the mix and will make you alot more power that will also be safer for your engine in the long run.

If you boost too much with a boost controller, you are just going to go into limp mode anyway. That is a way the stock ecu trys to keep you from breaking your car.

We are just trying to give you helpful advice.

If you really want to go with a boost controller, split second is a cheaper one and aPEXI is a more expensive one. Both are difficult to install and both are not as reliable as just getting a chip loaded into your ecu through your diagnostic port.

EVIL-AUDI
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by quattro411
I want to get one so i know what psi my car will run best at. I just want to know where to find the best one for my buck, its my money so you don't gotta worry about it.

great attitude to have[rolleyes] enjoy making issues for yourself and you car.[rolleyes] [down]

mxp
08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
i got one word for you "REVO" [hail]

shifTT
08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
You can get Schwing's Boost Machine (http://modshack.info/bm.htm). It's a manual boost controller and will work if you aren't chipped. Just take time to read his instructions and tune it properly.

Which model is your TT? For an unchipped K04 in the 225 you should probably aim for 18psi or so. Past that you're just making heat and without programming will throw you into overboost and limp mode.

The BM will get you a bit more oomph but a chip will take you farther. Check the TT forum on Audiworld. There's lots more information than on Audizine.