PDA

View Full Version : Valve Guide re-line or replace

Bruch
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Looking through the Goodson catalog, I see they make bronze liners for 6mm valve guides and the tooling to install them.
http://www.goodson.com/6.0mm-Bronze-Liners/

Has anyone had liners installed in their guides as opposed to replacing the whole guide? Its a much more DIY operation. I think it would pay for itself after probably 6 heads.

Here's a link to a Horsepower TV DIY cylinder head refresh that shows their usage.

http://www.horsepowertv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_show=HP&ep_num=HP2012-09

Interested in hearing anyone's experience with cost of new guides installed.

Thanks for reading

ddillenger
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Either is fine, just remember you have to hone them for final fitment. This isn't an "install and go" thing.

redline380
01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I really don't see the point. Valve guides are pretty much a one time thing and it isn't like they cost an arm and a leg. Plus, you will have added machining costs for those sleeves.

ddillenger
01-16-2014, 03:36 PM
I did my guides with a can of air turned upside down and an oven. They fell right out.

redline380
01-16-2014, 03:38 PM
can of air? please describe this method better. I have a spare head with the guides still in it and want to take them out

ddillenger
01-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Ever turn air duster upside down? The liquid that comes out is -60F. Combine that with aluminum heads at 300F, and the guides just fall right out.

redline380
01-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Ever turn air duster upside down? The liquid that comes out is -60F. Combine that with aluminum heads at 300F, and the guides just fall right out.

thanks for the tip. Ill do that

Bruch
01-16-2014, 04:27 PM
I did my guides with a can of air turned upside down and an oven. They fell right out.

Using an oven and air cans sounds doable at home. I have no problem buying one reamer for 6mm guides. With the liner setup, you finish the liners with a carbide sizing ball that you drive through.

So on installation of the full guides, you might have an arbor press set up with the head in a fixture or were you able to drive them in freehand? I have seen a tool that centers on the valve seat that keeps the guide aligned as you drive it in. Seems like you would have to heat the head before each of the 20 guides you are installing? Or just move quickly?