PDA

View Full Version : best rotors?

mlo517
07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
which rotors would you guys say are better, brembo cross drilled? or powerslot slotted, for any car, not just audi

mlo517
07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
by powerslot slotted i mean powerslot PLUS, slotted

A4Rob
07-27-2005, 09:09 PM
3. OEM

gods_kitchen
07-27-2005, 09:41 PM
wat about Zimmermann? I had those on my B5 and I think they're great. but I think Brembo wouldn't be bad at all.

imola_Jon
07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by gods_kitchen
wat about Zimmermann? I had those on my B5 and I think they're great.

2nd

MR VTEC
07-28-2005, 06:58 AM
i never had any problems with my powerstop on my integra

Daft
07-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Slotted and cross-drilled barely have any advantage on a stock sized rotor.

Just buy a full faced rotor and use the whole friction surface.

BTW, the slotted and cross-drilled rotors always get caked up with brake dust. Everytime I buy one or the other, I end up wishing I had bought a plain faced rotor.

You can get OEM replacement rotors made by Ate, Brembo and Zimmerman. The funny thing is that they're all the same metal composition so, none of them are better than one another.[rolleyes]

MR VTEC
07-28-2005, 07:07 AM
i did notice the holes in the cross drilled getting gunked up but a few shots of water when washing the car cleared it right up.
I did find the brake fade was less prominent and i could get in alot more hard runs without letting it cool

onemoremile
07-28-2005, 09:08 AM
after a track day i had to use a drill bit to push all the pad crap out of my drilled holes. i wish i had taken pics. half the holes were clogged with $$$$ carbotech material.

kconnor72
07-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Has anyone used ATE Powerdiscs on their A4s? I had them on my VR6, and they worked great. Haven't switched on the AUDI yet...

MR VTEC
07-28-2005, 09:37 AM
if you like them before my guess is you'll like them again [rolleyes]

EVIL-AUDI
07-28-2005, 09:42 AM
I have Brembos now and I really like them

Hassmeister
07-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Daft

#1. BTW, the slotted and cross-drilled rotors always get caked up with brake dust. Everytime I buy one or the other, I end up wishing I had bought a plain faced rotor.

#2. You can get OEM replacement rotors made by Ate, Brembo and Zimmerman. The funny thing is that they're all the same metal composition so, none of them are better than one another.[rolleyes]

#1. I don't find that to be true on either of my two rides... I have the ATE U-Grooves on(no caking).

#2. I find that to be the case (very similar).

Daft
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
#1. I don't find that to be true on either of my two rides... I have the ATE U-Grooves on(no caking).

#2. I find that to be the case (very similar).

I have the Ate Powerdiscs too but, I still get a little caking from time to time. Once my current pads run out, I getting a set of plain faced rotors again.

offroader1006
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
the whole slotted/drilled/stock argument is played out.

but i would have to say brembo's cross drilled

even if it is just because they come stock on ferraris[:D] [up]

AudiMan
07-28-2005, 03:48 PM
i got zimmerman x-drilled, they koo

Paul_858
07-29-2005, 12:39 AM
OEM brembo on a ferrari isn't anywhere near the same as brembo oe replacement rotors. Don't be fooled. the OE replacements are good rotors, but cross drilled vs slotted vs plain you won't notice any real difference. The one reason why slots or holes were put into rotors were to address deficiencies in pad materials at the time. Issues related to out-gassing from the padds required a channel for it to escape, as a result slots were introduced. Today slots are primarily used to clean the surface of the pads, and not much more.

I run a brembo GT kit (332mm) with slotted rotors, they don't fill up with brake pad material and have put up with my abuse quite well. I went with ATE rear oe size solid plain rotors and carbotech bobcat pads. If anyone is interested in better braking performance with stock size rotors/calipers, best bet is to get good pads, fluid, and tires. Bigger rotors allow you to avoid brake fade better. Unless you put very wide or very sticky tires on your car, they generally won't provide much gains on the street. OEM brakes have no problems locking up the tires pretty much instantly in emergency situations, the aftermarket setups won't be much different.

audisnapr
07-29-2005, 05:13 AM
the only time I notice minor caking on my slotted/crossdrilled is after a track event... and even then it's minor. Goes away after the next wash or rain.

nmb
07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by imola_Jon
2nd

3rd

boosteda4
07-29-2005, 12:49 PM
i have brembos.. but havent gotten to install.. hopefully they are good.

Hassmeister
07-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Daft
I have the Ate Powerdiscs too but, I still get a little caking from time to time. Once my current pads run out, I getting a set of plain faced rotors again.

All I can say is... humidity must come into this. Cause 8 of us here have the same configuration (and I did 7 others cars) and they are A-Okay.