PDA

View Full Version : '99 2.8 30v screeching noise when cold

fotograf
12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
My car is making a lovely screeching noise when I start it up and it's cold and I'm wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction. I took a video to hopefully help identify the noise (ignore the visual part, I was trying to move it around and see if it was worse in certain spots). Kinda sounds like a table saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P9t3kyGYbs

The car drives fine and the noise goes away or becomes unnoticeable after it has warmed up. I should probably note that i do have a CEL for the O2 sensors that has been on for a while, but I haven't had a chance to get someone to scan for more codes. It's also been cold as balls lately (down to about -10 at nights) but has been warming up recently - don;t know if that affects things

My first guess was a belt, but I recently replaced the accessory belt and I *shouldn't* need another TB for ~25,000 miles. (although I just realized the belt is 4.5 years old)

Any ideas what this is?

Appreciate any guidance anyone could offer! [up]

8bitwarfare
12-16-2013, 03:56 PM
sounds like mabey the electric fan on the right side of the radiator. i just replaced mine for something similar. not as bad though. does it do it with the climate control on? try turning it on and off to see if it goes away. otherwise id say a pulley or tensioner.

fotograf
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
sounds like mabey the electric fan on the right side of the radiator. i just replaced mine for something similar. not as bad though. does it do it with the climate control on? try turning it on and off to see if it goes away. otherwise id say a pulley or tensioner.

No, it definitely stays on when the heat is on or off. I think I have it down to the tensioner (crossing my fingers that I have it right).

JayTheSnork
12-19-2013, 10:40 AM
accesory belt tensioner?