PDA

View Full Version : (thezoneQuattro's) - 2007 B7 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT S-Line Project

thezoneQuattro
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Chaps,

Greetings from sunny South Australia.

I bought this gorgeous dark blue metallic A4 Quattro S-Line with 6MT in pristine condition with 1 owner and 58,000km (36,000m) bone stock but optioned with S-line pack including bi-xenons, sunroof, 18" s4 style wheels and rear boot strip. I went down to the rego office (DMV) and managed to score a euro style plate which had 16V on the end! It sits too high and drives a bit "Betty White" for my liking atm and I plan to mod it tastefully without going bonkers (like I did with my GTI).

Planned mods at this stage:

-Eibach Pro kit springs (on order from ebay germany)
-B5 perches (bought from local audi dealer-to be fitted with springs)
-35% sungard tint
-RS4 RSB
-Custom fabricated down pipe, HFC and new tips by Exhaust Technology - Kings Park SA (http://www.exhausttechnology.com/) (leaving rest of exhaust stock)
-HPFP from HPFP upgrade (Removed from GTI prior to sale)
-CCode UK phase 2 + ecu tune(by Gav from VWWatercooled forum)
-Sprintbooster
-JHM Short Shifter and Weighted Shifter knob
-wheel spacers for rear (just a little to push them out toward the guards a bit more any suggestions 5m ok? )
-PCV revamp and dv replacement if necessary
-R8 coils and upgraded Rail Valve if necessary

Cheers fellas!

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/thezone525/20131202_093526_zpsc9d25efb.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/thezone525/20131202_093538_zps6d04f3e4.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/thezone525/20131202_093551_zps512efd31.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/thezone525/20131202_095002_zps41d877d0.jpg

drumnjuny
12-05-2013, 03:31 AM
I think you misunderstood the point of this section...

ericpaulyoung
12-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Looks nice. The sprint booster is worthless though.

EPY

aluthman
12-05-2013, 03:31 PM
what the fuck are you talking about geez this forum is starting to piss me off no-one has anything good to say.

Someone's got a short fuse...

Firefox250
12-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Are you planing on doing any major engine modification?

mec
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aVZgT.gif

jk op, Welcome!

Technically this is the "projects" and builds section so even putting wheels on your car could be considered a "project". I think most of us were just wondering if you had any plans to make big power

drumnjuny
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
now that you made the thread, you have to join the club! motor build and BAT!! [:p]

thezoneQuattro
12-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Ok so lets move on. I came here to get some info and have got some good info and to share stuff (even if its not deemed tough super mods) so I think the logical way is to start with a stock car and post pics as you go in the same thread making it easy to follow. The only downside now is that someone whose interested in following my thread has to read thru a bunch of crap first? Mods can we delete some of this garbage talk eg everything after post #1.? (Including my own).

drumnjuny
12-05-2013, 11:27 PM
deleted all mine [>_<]

seriously though i would consider going with a set of adjustable coilovers in lieu of the springs - nowdays you can get KW and ST for really cheap! ask chris@fifteen52 for a deal

mec
12-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Mods don't really patrol around here, have to PM them to do anything.

thezoneQuattro
12-06-2013, 12:51 AM
deleted all mine [>_<]

seriously though i would consider going with a set of adjustable coilovers in lieu of the springs - nowdays you can get KW and ST for really cheap! ask chris@fifteen52 for a deal

I deliberated over this for hours. I'm not tracking the car so Bilsteins PSS10's or KW clubsports are out of the question and budget. And im not convinced that budget coils are any better than stock dampers combined with a good spring especially since the car has such low mileage. I had HPA KW SHS on my gti and the end link mount cracked right thru and they were $1200 coils. KW turned around and said that they wouldn't honor the warranty as I was using an aftermarket sway bar. What a bunch of shit. Luck HPA are good blokes and sent me a free one. I picked up the Eibach springs for 210Eur (about US$280) shipped to my door. I wont get a set of coils from the US shipped for under a grand as I live 10,000 miles from there!

drumnjuny
12-06-2013, 03:03 AM
actually, lowering the car on aftermarket springs using the stock dampers puts the default compression of the damper higher, almost guaranteeing a blowout of your dampers. if you lower it, compressing the damper till its under higher pressure (probably about as much pressure as it would be if you went over a bump) and then when you do hit a bump, you can blow em out easily because its reacting as if it just got a massive force and hit a huge bump. You don't hear about it much on these forums because people upgrade both, but in the ricer world of cut springs you hear of this happening a lot. at the very least, you will want to upgrade springs and dampers to even maintain a decent ride quality as a compressed damper will cause a very harsh ride... just my 2c of course!

Unfortunately any parts you buy in this industry, you can pretty much guarantee you will be on your own up shit creek without a paddle if anything goes wrong. I haven't had a single experience where a company has owned up to their mistake and offered me even to mitigate the damage to my wallet, let alone give me any additional support or compensation beyond what their failure costed me to fix. And i've had a lot, and i mean A LOT, of products fail on me or go bad or just arrive not working in the first place. pretty much get the finger and then they blame it on any of your other aftermarket parts, saying well if your car was bone stock we would cover it but something else is causing the failure, refusing to believe what you yourself are witnessing and basically calling you a liar.

so i feel for you on that one, it drives me fucking nuts. I didn't realize you're in Australia but that is a crazy good deal! Definitely keep your eye out for a matching set of dampers (again just my opinion). You're lucky HPA took care of you... I have a long ass shit list of companies that have wronged me thus far in this build haha. i do my best not to bash them on this forum but its all out in the open eventually... my personal philosophy is don't do something if you don't want anyone to know about it. because privacy is a thing of the past with the instant flow of information we enjoy today.

most of them don't even apologize! Although i have found some ways to force the hand of some companies who have fucked up to pay me back for what they f'd up. other companies i'v been SOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMo_HcRBnUY

thezoneQuattro
12-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. HPA were really good, if they did a B7 product I would buy it but KW can go fuck themselves. Imagine being told that your after market coils cant be used with aftermarket sways? Ha. I tell you what. Ill personally come back here and admit it when (if) the stock dampers go. Mind you by then I would have done with the car and bought my next one and be pissing off some people in a different forum!

PS That movie is a classic.

Cheers

drumnjuny
12-06-2013, 03:58 AM
haha i don't think you're pissing anyone here off, and you don't have to admit it lol and i'm not saying they will definitely go bad! Just saying you will experience much harsher ride (to be expected from installing stiffer springs but its more than is necessary) and put them under more pressure, which leads to premature failure. In any case, it will handle and look better than stock because springs will account for smooth suspension movement, but dampers are in charge of sudden changes in suspension travel

drumnjuny
12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
haha funny this should pop up: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/571505-Just-Springs

thezoneQuattro
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
This:

Going with just springs and not shocks on a car with a lot of miles is asking for the shocks to go bad and then you will have to do it all over again. At the very least get springs and shocks. Or just buy coilovers
My car has done low mileage and the stock dampers will easily last 100,000 miles +(which is 160,000km to me) Even if that gets halved to 80,000km I doubt I will still have the car by then.

and this

If you don't particularly care down to the 1/10" what your ride height is, and don't want to deal with fucking around with adjusting, getting alignments, etc, then shocks and springs are a good option. Personally, I would wager the ride quality and handling are superior on quality strut/spring combo than they are on a cheap set of coils.

Also check out this thread ( you will need a couple of hours) this is the most exhaustive suspension review thread Ive ever seen and in the end the reviewer ended up going with Eibach made springs (called VW Driver springs) and stock dampers.
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100863

drumnjuny
12-06-2013, 07:48 PM
i totally did not read all those reviews haha, but there's no denying you're going to harshen ride quality and decrease life. if that's not a worry for you then no worries amirite lol?