PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant Quattro 2.8, s-line, manual - SF Bay area

Anthony White
10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi folks,

I've just bought a 2001 A4 Avant Quattro. 2.8 and s-line, manual gearbox. Owned about 2 days now.

200k miles, which is high, but the price seemed pretty fair. Really solid and straight, and it came with 'War and Peace' worth of service records.

It does have a few "issues". Most of these were pointed out to me - like I knew that the heater core had been bypassed, and that it would be a $70, 12 hr job to fix. Similarly the water temp sender. A few I have only noticed after further driving and reflection - I think some control arm bushes are probably in order. I may have paid over the odds after all, but sometimes you get that. I needed a car quickly, it needed to be a wagon, and I really don't like automatic gearboxes.

We've just moved to California (last week), currently subletting a place in Palo Alto/Mountain View for a month while we find somewhere more permanent. Originally from New Zealand. I've been an Alfa Romeo owner for the last 15 years, and have done almost all my own wrenching for about that length of time. Unfortunately, all my tools are still slowly making their way here in a shipping container. Back in New Zealand, I had a good network of guys who would all help each other out working on our cars.

So here's my interesting question - is there anyone more or less local to me, with a workshop and tools, who would be interested in helping me out with some Audi maintenance? I can do all the work, I just don't have tools or space. I should have thought more about that before buying a car with needs :) I can provide beer and pizza (or other beverage and food), and generally tell lies about cars.

Let me know.

Best wishes,
Anthony White

BrucexL33
10-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Hello Anthony! Welcome to the family! You should try posting in the Northern California Section found here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/40-South-West-NorCal

There should be a lot of folks near you who would be wiling to help. If You don't get any responses I would try their facebook page, its where they're probably all hanging out now.

Anthony White
10-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks Bruce!
That's a great tip.
I will post something over there now.

best,
Anthony

coolgraymemo
10-09-2013, 07:13 PM
hello hello

Better yet, join NCAC (https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalAudi/).

Much more active than the regional section of this forum.

Anthony White
10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks coolgraymemo. I have just done that. What are the rules for posting something like my request above, and how do I go about it?

Best wishes
Anthony

coolgraymemo
10-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Welcome to NCAC Anthony White. I have just approved your request to join the group.

On the NCAC page, you can post for help. The only thing that will get deleted are classified ads. Posts requesting for help, advice, or service are acceptable.

There aren't many B5 guys in the group so for any mechanical related question, it is best to post on here.