PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for the Q5 or Cayenne for a tow vehicle?

rs5mikev
09-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I currently have a 2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium as my daily driver and tow vehicle and thinking of down sizing a little without sacrificing towing capabilities. I tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer in the winter that weighs 4,000 lbs. and thinking about replacing the Caddy with a Q5 diesel or Cayenne Diesel. The diesel has the pulling torque factor but the big advantage is I have on sight diesel fuel at my business. So based on the data below what do you think is a good choice. Since the Q5 does not offer the self leveling air suspension I think this is a huge deal breaker.

2012 Cadillac Escalade Premium
403 HP Gas
417 lbs Torque
8,300 lbs tow capacity (self leveling air suspension)
0-60 6.8 seconds

Q5 diesel
240 HP diesel
428 lbs Torque
4,400 lbs tow capacity
0-60 6.5 seconds

Porsche Cayenne
240 HP diesel
406 lbs torque
7,700 lbs tow capacity (self leveling air suspension)
0-60 7.2 seconds

sa_seahawker
09-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Personally, I think unless you're towing some serious weight, a Q5 will more than fill most needs. But seeing as how you're estimating your towed weight to be about 4000, anyway, that's pretty much maxing the Q5. Especially if you want to toss anything else on the trailer.

Perhaps your choice should be between the Q7 TDI and the Cayenne?

rayray
09-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Personally, I think unless you're towing some serious weight, a Q5 will more than fill most needs. But seeing as how you're estimating your towed weight to be about 4000, anyway, that's pretty much maxing the Q5. Especially if you want to toss anything else on the trailer.

Perhaps your choice should be between the Q7 TDI and the Cayenne?

+1... Q7 TDI vs Cayenne Diesel are what you should be looking at for the tow weight you're estimating.

jayts
09-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Do you care about the service costs, if so go Audi I am thinking

L0U
09-16-2013, 07:11 AM
touareg tdi r-line is a great looker/tower

VroomVroom
09-16-2013, 08:44 AM
FWIW, my take....If you're towing 4k lbs on a regular basis, stick with body-on-frame construction, and a transmission configured for the task. Domestic trucks & SUV's have their niche, and this totally fits. If diesel is the dealmaker/breaker, go crew-cab 2500 series. I'm a big fan of the Duramax/Allison combo. Certainly overkill for your snow toys, but you'll never ever worry about overheating, stressing weight limits, or braking.

sickspeed
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM
those dont really seem like good comparisons. youre comparing 3 very different vehicles in 3 different classes. prioritize towing capacity, purchase cost, size, etc. for instance, the Q5 and cayenne lack a third row seat option and the escalade will guzzle gas. if you want a more affordable diesel suv and dont need a third row, consider the toureg diesel. the cayenne is going to be the most expensive to purchase and maintain and really doesnt offer you anything over the others. the only three row suvs with a diesel option are the bmw X5 and audi Q7, fyi. And maintenance on an Audi SUV isnt much cheaper than on porsche suv.

AZ Audi
09-18-2013, 09:47 PM
I have a q7 rated for 6600 or something like that, but if you read the manual, you can not use a leveling hitch nor should you install electric brakes for the trailer.... Basically it encourages you not to tow much... I assume the specs on the q5 and Cheyenne would similar. For tow purposes, I don't think you are looking at the right vehicles. That said, either would be more comfortable and fun to drive than the Cadillac. Just my opinion.

LINDW4LL
09-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Guys, I think his options are fine- they can all easily tow 4000lbs. That said, I'm not sure why you would consider the Cayenne but not the Q7 or Touareg. First you need to decide how small you would like to go.

If you want a real towing monster, check out an 07 V10 TDI Touareg.

FatalBert
09-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Cayenne!!!