PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Hart rotors?

ConradS
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Need new pads and rotors soon, there's a brand called Hart on eBay that sells a complete kit for front and rear, has anyone used their rotors? Please share your experience with them.

Here are the rotors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110994627832?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bhusted
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I would stay away. In fact I would stay away from all drilled/slotted rotors. It reduces mass and creates stress risers that will lead to cracking.

Artiemas
08-21-2013, 04:10 AM
People here have drilled and slotted. I dont know of this Hart company. But, honestly, if theres even one thing tjat I wouldn't cheap out on, its your brakes. Nut up and buy something reputable. These are your brakes, not your intake or something.

Mad Cow
08-21-2013, 05:49 AM
That's way too cheap, too cheap for even just plain blank rotors without pads. If you're really bent on cross drilled & slotted rotors, Zimmerman sells them as well as blanks, and since they're the OEM manufacturer you know they'll last.

Cgoon009
08-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech. Stoptech.

Summit Racing has them for the best price

Cgoon009
08-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I would stay away. In fact I would stay away from all drilled/slotted rotors. It reduces mass and creates stress risers that will lead to cracking.

This is true, but if made by a proper manufacturer, like Brembo or Stoptech regular street use wont be a problem. And there advantages are useful too. I like them because they keep pads clean, remove heat and water away quickly and reduce noise, heat fade and glazing. The key is quality, cheap rotors crack.

ConradS
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I may just buy them to see how long they last seeing as they're so cheap. I can report back after some miles. My friend had eBay rotors and pads last 30k, that's plenty for me because I probably won't keep my car for that long.

Mad Cow
08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I may just buy them to see how long they last seeing as they're so cheap. I can report back after some miles. My friend had eBay rotors and pads last 30k, that's plenty for me because I probably won't keep my car for that long.

I'm gonna call it now, it'll start vibrating after 5k and/or the first puddle you drive through. Cheap rotors are cheap for a reason, there's really no way to lower the cost of a slab of cast and machined metal without sacrificing quality (worse material, higher tolerances, etc).

AudiB5owner
08-21-2013, 11:49 AM

I'd have to disagree, I have drilled and slotted rotors on my 1.8T and they work great, hold up well to spirited downhill canyon runs. I'm not sure what type of quality you will be getting for the price since it comes with all four pads and rotors for around $170. I'd so go for it, can't really go wrong but you may be better off buying pads and rotors separately do discriminate against quantity>quality.

c0r3y.af
08-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Don't cheap out on your brakes! Safety equipment isn't the best category to cheap out on. It's worth spending a few extra bucks to get quality rotors and pads that you know won't warp, crack, or otherwise break.

ConradS
08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
If they warp, I'll replace just the rotors. I'd say it's worth a shot. I highly doubt they'll just break (no pun intended).

melomandn
08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Once they warp or crack or the pads start to squeal or throw dust everywhere you're gonna wish that you just bought higher quality the first time around. No reason to do it twice.

ConradS
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, I wanted the black rotors, but Brakemotive also sells zinc coated D&S rotors and pads for $167, I know for a fact they're a good brand, I'll go with those. Just wanted to see if anyone's used these ones.

Brakemotive is a reputable seller on the Corvette and Fbody forums.

bhusted
08-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Why are you so interested in drilled/slotted rotors? They are just for show as modern pads don't out gas the way that older ones used to when hot. As for the water claim, during braking, the rotors will get hot enough to evaporate any water very quickly.

Artiemas
08-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Why are you so interested in drilled/slotted rotors? They are just for show as modern pads don't out gas the way that older ones used to when hot. As for the water claim, during braking, the rotors will get hot enough to evaporate any water very quickly.

This. Drilled and slotted hardly has any use these days unless you're racing down Le Mans and any other track. They do vent, but unless you're whipping around a track...Stahp. The slots make a "cool sound" I suppose as the air gets pusghed out/against them as the pad goes over.

c0r3y.af
08-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Slotted is where it's at.

ConradS
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I never said I NEEDED D&S rotors, I just want the zinc coated ones that won't rust, and there aren't as many options for blank zinc coated rotors.

Mad Cow
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I never said I NEEDED D&S rotors, I just want the zinc coated ones that won't rust, and there aren't as many options for blank zinc coated rotors.

I'll say it again, Zimmerman, those damn things will last the life of your car if you don't track it. Hell they even come cross-drilled if you're really about that.

bhusted
08-22-2013, 12:49 PM

The blank Meyle rotors that I'm running are coated and not rusting. Zimmerman offers their geomet coating for their blanks as well. I would challenge that the cheap ebay rotors you're looking at may claim to be coated, but won't take long to start rusting if that's what you're worried about.

Cgoon009
08-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Or paint the whole rotor hat with high temp paint.

ConradS
08-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Well, you guys convinced me the Hart rotors aren't a good idea.

Had another question: I was thinking of doing Audi A8 caliper carriers (312mm), do I use A8 rotors? From what year A8?

Anyone use Brembo rotors? Those seem cheap for such a good name brand? Maybe those are a good choice.

melomandn
08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Had another question: I was thinking of doing Audi A8 caliper carriers (312mm), do I use A8 rotors? From what year A8?

Now youre talking. For that upgrade you use the rotors from a d2 a8 and the carriers from an audi tt.

bhusted
08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Well, you guys convinced me the Hart rotors aren't a good idea.

Anyone use Brembo rotors? Those seem cheap for such a good name brand? Maybe those are a good choice.

Much better plan. You use the 312mm rotors from a D2 A8 and the caliper carriers from a MK1 TT. I have a set (carriers and new rotors) I'm looking to get rid of. PM me if interested.

ConradS
08-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Cool, might do that upgrade while I'm at it as long as I can find the carriers pretty cheap. Brembo rotors should last, right?

andyrew
08-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I have drilled and slotted rotors on my A4, been on there for 50k miles and they have been wonderful.

I put these rotors on a recent car that had constant issues with the rotors warping.
http://www.r1concepts.com/
I used their "E-line" series I believe and they have been more than wonderful.

They have promo codes all the time.

I matched them up with stoptech pads that I bought through R1 concepts and no issues at all.

Cgoon009
08-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Cool, might do that upgrade while I'm at it as long as I can find the carriers pretty cheap. Brembo rotors should last, right?

Yea Brembo is good, but Zimmerman is OEM iirc

ConradS
08-22-2013, 08:51 PM
R1concepts have good rotors, I'm going to put those on my Z06. [up]

ConradS
08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Shopped around on eBay, found that I could get Brembo rotors and powerstop evolution ceramic pads for all four corners for a total of $235 shipped. Seems like a safer route than the "ebay special" rotors.

ConradS
08-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Want some more opinions before buying, are Brembo rotors a good buy? And I'm not sure if they are zinc coated.

SlickMachine
08-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Not sure they haven't been mentioned yet but: Adams Rotors. I have a full set, zinc coated, slotted and cross drilled. Love them. Have about 3k on them with posi-quiet pads and they have been way better than stock since the break in. Smoother bite, excellent performance and they look sick.