PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems

AudiMV
07-13-2005, 06:41 PM
My friend has a 98 2.8 and was having a problem starting his car, he usually gets it on his 2nd or 3rd try but it hesitates a lot, would it be the starter or the battery itself?

offroader1006
07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
hesitates as in runs weak?

does it turn over and not fire at first, or just nothing?

also, has he tried turning the key on for a few seconds, then trying to crank it?

it may be a failing starter if it turns slowly at first, if it doesnt turn, it may be an electrical problem(bad connection, failing solenoid). if it turns fast for the first turns before firing, it may be unrelated to the starting circuit

LoeA4
07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
When you twist the key to 'ON' can you hear the fuel pump?

You'll know if its the battery. The car will make clicky noises when you try to turn on the car and the dash board warning lights will flash. Also, if the battery is drained, you wouldn't be able to start it after the 2nd or 3rd try.

If you want to check the charging system do as follows:

Battery test:
With the car off, take out your multi-meter and check the resistance between +/- terminals. It should read 12 volts. If its below, then your battery is old, you dont have a proper ground (corrosion), or a combination of both. The car needs just 9 volts to crank up, albeit it'll crank very slow.

Now turn on your car and check the resistance between + terminal and a secure ground. It should read between 14.1-14.4 volts. If its below, then your alternator is dying. Cars can typically function with an 11volt charging system, but your VOLT/BATTERY ect. light will come on signalling you to check your charging system. If its above then your ECU will be fried if it goes above 16volts.

Hassmeister
07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Sounds like what happened to me a few months ago. Got a new battery.

I say BATTERY. Haven't heard of too many starters going out.

If it's the original like mine was and I have a '98, change it. That's a long time on a stock battery.

Hassmeister
07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I got the Diehard like Daft has in his post:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13527&highlight=Replacement+battery