PDA

View Full Version : Head bolts

Roger0111
08-18-2013, 01:52 PM
I need some advice on getting head bolt #1 bank 1&2 off ... One is striping/stripped and the other one won't budge ... =\

Dcass08
08-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Wow, either some heat or drill it. Can you even get an ez-out down in there? Is it completely stripped? Sometimes if its stripped you can hammer a bigger size in there to get it out but head bolts are a bit tougher.

redline380
08-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Ez out won't do shit. Only thing I can think of is drilling the head of the bolt off, but that's risky. If you can get it done, you'd need to weld a nut onto the bolt once you get the head off

zandrew
08-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Yeah you won't get it out with an ez out. You'll just snap the EZ out. Tig welding will give you the strongest and cleanest weld plus less likely of blowing it out. I would suggest it but if you can't tig it any weld should work. Welding a nut on super heats the bolt and makes it expand allowing it to break loose of whatever has it stuck. Once you weld it let it cool and spray some penetrating lube. Real penetrating lube not WD 40. If that does not work you have really have no other choice then drilling it out.

Also tapping on the head after heating it up can help break loose the threads.

I have never not been able to remove a bolt wih this technique.

On smaller things that you can get into an oven and heat up you can drill a hole down the bolt and turn a can duster upside down and spray down the hole while its still hot. This works as well. I guess it could be possible to apply this technique to the head bolts if you can get them really hot with a torch. Its typically just the upper half of the threads that are crudded up.