PDA

View Full Version : Replace Camshaft & Crankshaft seals when doing TB?

woolveren
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Upon search I've found a lot of DIY's for 1.8T Timing Belt change but none of them really tells about the front engine seals such as the Camshaft and Crankshaft ones. Does these seals need to be replaced often such as when doing TB?

My car is due for the fourth timing belt and was wondering whether these seals need to be replaced as well. The crankshaft and camshaft seals were replaced during last timing belt service 65k miles ago. It's not currently leaking oil or anything.

What do you guys recommend? Change them OR go with the general consensus 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it?'

Seerlah
08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Don't fix those seals if they are not leaking.

walky_talky20
08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Generally these seals are pretty excellent quality and are not a common to leak. When they do leak, it is usually pretty minor anyway. Also, they are somewhat difficult to do (and easy to screw up). My suggestion would be to leave them alone until 200k miles, unless they leak before that.

That said, I did mine at 170k with the t-belt. But I had the engine out of the car and did *every* seal and o-ring there was. T-stat, cooling flange, injectors, cam, crank, rear main, oil cooler, valve cover, oil pan, etc. If you are going to replace them, I suggest the much less "fussy" conventional cam/crank seal design rather than the PTFE. The latter are very easy to damage upon install and I've had more than 1 fail to seal even when the install was perfect. I believe they demand a much more perfect surface on the cam, and that causes the problem.

Seerlah
08-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I did mine when I was building my engine. I don't plan on doing them again till they leak. Also, the size for the crank seal is not listed correctly on many websites. Correct size is 35x48x10, while many sites have them as 32x47x10. I just checked and it seems ECS corrected the listing on their website, but it used to be wrong on there too. FCP still has the wrong size listed. Be sure it is 35x48x10 when and if you replace the crank seal.

woolveren
08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Generally these seals are pretty excellent quality and are not a common to leak.

The latter are very easy to damage upon install and I've had more than 1 fail to seal even when the install was perfect. I believe they demand a much more perfect surface on the cam, and that causes the problem.

Are you talking about the quality of OE Audi seals here or just any aftermarket seals? I know the shop where last owner did the TB and they might have used aftermarket seals. But again, it's only 65k miles on those..

I also saw some threads where the replacement seals failing within months even after taking extra care while installation. Actually in my car, the same shop replaced the valve cover gasket and cam chain tensioner gasket during TB service. But the cam chain tensioner gasket started leaking oil around 35k miles period. It's not a big leak, only around 0.5 quarts every 2000 miles though. Since this one failed early, I am thinking whether they used cheapo seals for camshaft and crankshaft ones..[confused]

walky_talky20
08-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I meant that it seems like they get along just fine with the factory seals for quite some time. The quality of aftermarket seals can vary. I always liked the Elring cam seals. They may have been the OEM, I'm not sure.

Some cars are known to always need these front seals. Like a '92 Camry 4cyl, for example. They are *all* dumping oil out of the crank and cam seals by 200k. Disgusting mess those are if you don't change the seals with every t-belt. The Audi's are not that way, for whatever reason.

woolveren
08-18-2013, 06:09 PM
The quality of aftermarket seals can vary.

I think a preventive maintenance is better in this situation since I'm not sure about the quality/brand of the aftermarket seals that shop installed. If for some reason those seals leak after some time, I don't want to rip apart everything again.

Today I found the previous owner's bill for TB service and brakes; $2823.17 [eek] Guess they might have put all OE parts last time. Lol

thenj3
08-18-2013, 06:17 PM
if they arent leaking i wouldn't touch them.