PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 1.8t engines

OliWaa
08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
what is the difference between 1.8t engines, 1.8t AWT and 1.8t AWM
i have to change my timing chain and tensioner on my 2001 A4 B5 1.8Tq and wonder if i can follow this guide on Passatworld (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/215732-how-replace-1-8t-cam-chain-tensioner.html)
I have recently changed my timing belt and dont want to take it off again..
I have to change because it rattles on idle and leaking a little oil in that area and drips on my exhaust some times and smells like burnt oil.

Please help :)

Scotty@Advanced
08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
if oil is dripping on your exhaust it's not from the timing belt area.

OliWaa
08-18-2013, 01:32 PM
if oil is dripping on your exhaust it's not from the timing belt area.

only leak i have is right around the tensioner for the chain in the back of the engine.
it is a quattro so the exhaust is right under the tensioner

Avant Nate
08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Chances are that your little half moon seal is leaking at the back of the head. If your CAMSHAFT timing chain is rattling, perfect time to fix both. From my understanding, you shouldn't have to touch your timing belt. When I did the same repair, I did it at the same time as my tb. But as far as the passatworld write up, the heads should be close enough.

Seerlah
08-18-2013, 03:50 PM
If you are leaking on your exhaust, it is most likely the half moon section of the valve cover gasket and is rather common. First to go is that and your spark plug section of your valve cover gasket. As Nate stated, just do everything on one shot. You are going to have to replace your valve cover gasket anyways while you replace the CCT (you should, anyways). You don't have to touch your TB area when changing out your CCT. As for the differences, it boils down to having VVT or not on the CCT for the different engine codes. AWM has VVT (variable valve timing) on the CCT. Be sure to replace the CCT gaskets at the same time.

OliWaa
08-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Is there a place on the world wide web where i can buy this?
Got price from Audi here, 1350 USD
Just parts!

OliWaa
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Think i found all i need
Tensioner. seekpart24.com/febi/control-valve-camshaft-adjustment-37119?c=100397&at=4266
Seal. seekpart24.com/febi/seal-timing-chain-tensioner-32294?c=100414&at=4266
Chain. seekpart24.com/febi/timing-chain-25360?c=100411&at=4266
But now is a new question, is this quality brand?
Rather use more money on quality.
Will save a little over 1000 USD from this site!
Still quality is everything when it comes to important engine parts!

Avant Nate
08-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Is AWT the european version of AWM? Similar tensioner is 190 USD for the AWM. You will also need the valve cover gasket.

disturbed_audi
08-19-2013, 06:29 PM
are you sure your cct is garbage cause a clogged pick up tube will cause low oil pressure and a noisy top end the first making noise being the cct. does the metal sound go away after 1500 rpm or so?
20$ to 200$ is the difference..

OliWaa
09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
are you sure your cct is garbage cause a clogged pick up tube will cause low oil pressure and a noisy top end the first making noise being the cct. does the metal sound go away after 1500 rpm or so?
20$ to 200$ is the difference..
no not 100 % sure.
but i try that first, if not i have a new oil sump (or what it is called in English) and change that after.
when i change my engine oil i always use engine flush and after filling engine oil again i use a oil adjective that cleans the engine through the whole oil service interval(?) Forte Top End Treatment (http://forte-nwe.com/SE/Forte+products/Engine/Top+End+Treatment.html)

disturbed_audi
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I've heard so I've personally never dealt with it but I heard if you do a flush like sea foam or sim method it can cause your pick up tube to clog quicker then they all ready do. i have same issue that started after i changed to a lower weight oil so i'm going to go back up and try that first. cam chain chatter can be bad tensioner and/or chain cct gasket leaking bad enough for loss of oil pressure or pick up tube sludged up thus causing low oil pressure. good luck keep us posted what you find out.

hanzy
09-10-2013, 09:23 PM
You don't have to touch the belt when replacing just the CCT, but I see you have the chain itself on the list.

Now maybe others have a trick but I can never get the chain off the exhaust cam shaft without completely unbolting it for some wiggle rim.

Swank4
09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
As Disturbed said - could be a bad tensioner or issue with the oil system if you are hearing noises. The tensioner is a solenoid that relies on oil pressure to provide pressure to move the chain. If you have oil sludge then the oil pressure won't be high enough to activate the solenoid. Sometimes the chain can slap against the housing if not tensioned properly. But if you are leaking oil then that's probably a seal somewhere.

OliWaa
04-13-2014, 02:42 PM
i have changed the tensioner and the chain + oil pickup tube and different gaskets and the timing belt.
everything is god now, no weird sounds.
the pickup tube was a little clogged up so it was god to change it.
there is still a little oil sweating from the tensioner/valve cover but nothing much, a lot less than before and it rarely drips on the exhaust now :)

Off topic:
how can i block the egr valve without getting errorcode? is it just to make a little aluminum plate and bolt between the valve and the head?

disturbed_audi
04-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Good to hear. The other I'm not sure.

ElliottG
04-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Post a video. Problem solved.

Sent from my S3

Seerlah
04-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Off topic:
how can i block the egr valve without getting errorcode? is it just to make a little aluminum plate and bolt between the valve and the head?

You also will need the SAI coded out of your ECU or else you will get a CEL/DTC for it.