PDA

View Full Version : Thule Roof Rack install Q

bmann
08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
So I picked up a used Thule roof rack. The metal brackets on the fit kit have little pegs on them but I don't seem to have holes in my window frame for them. Is one supposed to remove the weather stripping to install these? TIA

SomeDayAS4
08-14-2013, 07:40 PM
that means the clips are not meant for a b5 and youll need to buy new feet...
passats i believe have the little hole for the spikes on the rack feet.

Aok303
08-14-2013, 10:36 PM
i have the holes on my b7

KidGT
08-15-2013, 12:24 AM
If they are like Yakima racks the metal clip just goes between the weather stripping and the door.

Docwyte
08-15-2013, 06:05 AM
You need to make sure you have the proper fit kit to go with your car. There are many, many fit kits out there and the used rack you bought may have one for a different car.

bmann
08-15-2013, 09:04 AM
You need to make sure you have the proper fit kit to go with your car. There are many, many fit kits out there and the used rack you bought may have one for a different car.
Yeah tell me about it. The seller said it was for the B5 and even had a picture of it installed. Must have been someone else's picture. Anyway, I'll head to a local Thule dealer and see if they can identify the fit kit that's on it and then I'll probably sell it. New fit kits cost $90 and I don't need a roof rack that bad that I'm going to invest in all sorts of new parts to make it work.

SomeDayAS4
08-15-2013, 09:07 AM
nice oem racks looks the best any ways...[:D]

Docwyte
08-15-2013, 09:12 AM
What car do you have? I have several Thule fit kits kicking around my garage from previous VW/Audi's, I may have something that'll fit...

bmann
08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
What car do you have? I have several Thule fit kits kicking around my garage from previous VW/Audi's, I may have something that'll fit...
01 A4 Sedan - fit kit should be number 1019. If you have one lying around, that would be sweet. PM me. :)

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I thought I was going crazy, trying to figure out how this thing gets installed. None of the instructions I found mentioned the pegs and Thule's site is down in the "instructions" area.