PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Sluggish/ Idling isn't great

gtsingh91
08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a 2.8 30V B5 with just under 170k on the clock. It starts but idles rough and will cut off if it's not given gas. But when the throttle is pressed, it runs fine. It can be driven, but as you slow down for a stop, it will cut off and need to be restarted. Timing belt was done about 40k miles ago, MAF, Coolant temp. sensor, coilpacks, and plugs are the only things I can think of at the moment that were recently changed. What are some possible problems here? I'm a noob to the 2.8's, but I know the 1.8's fairly well. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Codes currently present: p1545 (throttle valve controller malfunction), p0160 (o2 sensor), and p0411 (SAI system).

Update: 8/13/13 - After clearing the codes, only p1545 came back. I cleaned the throttle body from gunk/oil with carb cleaner and the car started up and ran/idled very well for the entire time I had it started (about 15 minutes). However, it felt sluggish while driving it around the block. If I floored it, it would take forever to speed up. No misfires or misbeats or anything it just feels abnormally slow. It did not shut off when coming to a stop though, which is better than before. I'm thinking MAF or o2 sensor(s) are bad. I'm also thinking about picking up a used throttle body. I'm also well aware of a huge rusted hole in the exhaust right before the muffler but I doubt that'll have any effect on the sluggishness of the car.

gtsingh91
08-16-2013, 08:10 AM
bump just in case anyone has some other insight. But I'm going to be replacing the throttle body with a used one to see if that fixes it and I'll report the outcome.

gtsingh91
08-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Used throttle body fixed the idling problems. Car now idles perfectly however the p1545 code randomly pops up. And while driving, it's extremely slow and takes forever to reach up to speed but no misfires or anything like that. I will do a Throttle body alignment when I get a proper Vagcom. Anything else I should look out for?

mazdaman82
09-08-2013, 06:41 PM
How's this going?.. sou.D's like the same problem I'm having now..

mazdaman82
09-08-2013, 06:42 PM
How's this going?.. sounD's like the same problem I'm having now..

gtsingh91
09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Sorry, just saw your post. All i needed was a throttle body alignment through VAGCOM under measuring blocks and group 098.

B5DriverUSA
03-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Having this problem too, the car would die when slowing down into my drive way but then smooths out if I just gas it a little. The engine has about 90k and it threw a coolant temp code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk