PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding/upgrading my 1.8t

brilliantyellow
08-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Hello!
I'm new here, as well as new to the turbo tuning world. I have a 1997 1.8t A4, autotragic :(, AEB engine code. I'm gonna do a rebuild of the engine, and while its out, upgrade some parts. I found what seems to be a *decent* kit on ebay (beware!) and I was wondering if anyone has run this kit or could give me some more info on other stuff I would need to run this kit safely. I'm running a APR stage 1 kit on my car at the moment.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audi-Volkswagen-RARE-TURBO-KIT-1-8T-A4-TT-Golf-GTI-20v-1997-2006-1998-1999-2000-/251135342650?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78d5383a&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Thanks. Any input would be appreciated.

ed1380
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I would stay away from any kit. Especially on ebay.

What are your goals? Will you be running stock internals?

sent from my note 2 using tapatalk 2

rvca3112
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Kit looks legit. I'd grab that's ASAP...[>_>]

rvca3112
08-13-2013, 11:30 PM
That was a joke. That's Chinese shit quality kits. You can buy that and then wait for everything to break in the first 1000 miles.

brilliantyellow
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! My goal is somewhere between 250-300 hp. Probably a lower pressure gt28r than a high psi K04. Or is the t3/4 hybrid a viable option? Sort of making a list of what I might need, based off other people guides. What I've listed as must haves are FMIC, injectors (440cc?) cold air intake, high flow exhaust manifold, high flow cat (gotta pass aircare), catback exhaust. Fuel pump I'm not sure if I'm making enough power to make it necessary, same with rods. The engine will be bored just a wee bit, to get 330,000kms worth of build up off and create a new surface. I've heard the tranny is good for a deal more power, so I'm not too worried there. Anything I'm missing?

g2turbo
08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Prevent transmission failure and give it a good servicing before cranking up the power....and with so many miles go over everything else.

brilliantyellow
08-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Ya. ATF change is coming soon, and from what I hear about it, its a tiresome project that I'll get a mechanic to do. When the engines out of the car, the flywheel and such will be looked at for sure.

ed1380
08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
ATF change isn't that bad. You just need to buy the cheap $15 vagcom

brilliantyellow
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
ATF change isn't that bad. You just need to buy the cheap $15 vagcom

What is a vagcom? Is it a diagnostic computer program? Similiar to an OBD?

ed1380
08-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAG-COM-KKL-409-1-OBD2-USB-Cable-Auto-Scanner-Scan-Tool-Audi-VW-SEAT-Volkswagen-/350766989906?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item51ab578252&vxp=mtr

it's worth its weight in gold. I used the ebay cable for a couple years until I really needed the real thing.

TJN0923
08-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Here you go.

http://frankenturbo.com/

That will net you in the 280-300hp mark. All while being affordable and reliable.

rvca3112
08-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Ya. ATF change is coming soon, and from what I hear about it, its a tiresome project that I'll get a mechanic to do. When the engines out of the car, the flywheel and such will be looked at for sure.

Flywheel on auto? Haha you so silly

brilliantyellow
08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Hey I'm not very car smart, yet. Learning lots though. So today was a bit of an adventure. My car pulled codes 0303 (coil pack, no biggie), 0441, 0455, 1136. So I searched around and found that the n80 valve could be the cause of my Evap leak. I pulled the vacuum line off the side leading to the back of the car, and plugged the little node on the n80 valve. Revving the engine with it plugged means I dont get little coughs and a sudden 500-1000 rpm drop at around 2k rpms. Debating whether this warrants a replacement or not currently. Now I noticed a little vacuum node at the front of the intake manifold that was unplugged. I found a loose line near the front, and connected the two. Now, after starting the engine, it barely coughed into life before idling a little high. Soon as I revved the engine up to 2k rpms, it would nearly die and barely keep itself going. Sometimes it would die. I dunno, that line seems to lead back to the turbo. The engine would rev fine to 1800, but soon as I hit 2k, boom, dead. So I disconnected the line and plugged both ends, intake and the line itself. Jiggling the wires leading into the MAF also resulted in the car sputtering out. Then I ran codes again, and got 2 new ones. 0103 (mass or volume high capacity flow) and 1426. Any ideas?? I'm driving 2500 kms in two weeks.... Also I've got an exhaust leak (big one) under the engine somewhere. Could that be leaking boost? My car is seriously down on power (still up from stock though). Sigh, any help is appreciated.

ed1380
08-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Boost leak test. Buy the $10 vagcom and look at the maf reading and the fuel trims

brilliantyellow
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Something like this'll do? I've already downloaded vcds lite.
http://www.amazon.ca/OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-KKL409-1-VAG-COM/dp/B002WIN8VQ

ed1380
08-20-2013, 10:02 PM
That'll do. There's some on ebay for half the price.

brilliantyellow
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Exhaust leak fixed. It was a flex pipe near the cat. So I drove it, and it's even more down on power. I can barely hear the turbo. Waiting for codes to resurface. Anyone know what the vacuum line that goes from the front of the intake manifold down to the turbo does? I can't figure it out even with the Haynes manual. If I connect it, the car sputters and dies after revving the engine. If I leave it unplugged (on the manifold) it doesn't die but theres a huge vacuum leak.

csosnowski
08-21-2013, 09:15 PM
that line goes to the diverter valve on the intercooler hose post turbo. you may have a torn diverter valve diaphragm.

brilliantyellow
08-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks I just found that out. Any clue why it would kill the motor after the turbo starts spooling? Only thing I'm thinking is it could be hooked up in the wrong place.

BattleWagon
08-22-2013, 08:54 AM
SOME ebay stuff isn't too bad, like a $100 t3 cast manifold, it works, friend ran one for years. or a cheap fmic for a k04, it works, and its cheap as hell.
As for turbos, especially big turbos, if your going to buy only a hand full of name brand parts, make sure one of them is your turbo, just because its a no name gt35 doesn't mean it's gonna perform like a garret gt35 ect ect.
But, in my honest opinion, if I was gonna stay k03s/4 I would NOT spend close to $1000 on a BorgWarner turbo. Why? Because for 1.) your probably gonna get bored of the measly 250whp before the turbo blows up 2.) if you go with someone like Godspeed Performance, they are quite a bit better then most Chinese company's, and offer a 1 year warranty, again I know of someone who ran one on like 19 psi for about 10 months before it blew the seals... $300 once a year > $1000, just my honest opinion on the matter, because honestly you will want more power, and you will want it a lot sooner then you would think.

For your particular power goals, I would slap on a test pipe, SSAC exhaust, Godspeed K04, No name turbo inlet hose, K&N Cone filter + custom heat shield or blinktek, TT225 Diverter valve / MAF housing and injectors, and some kind of ebay fmic with the piping diameter on the smaller side, no 2.5" required for a k04 hahah. After that you just need a tune, in which I strongly urge you to not go cheap on, as it a world of difference, and as for the narrow band AEB 1.8ts, I would go in the direction of UnitedMotorsports.

brilliantyellow
08-22-2013, 08:37 PM
SOME ebay stuff isn't too bad, like a $100 t3 cast manifold, it works, friend ran one for years. or a cheap fmic for a k04, it works, and its cheap as hell.
As for turbos, especially big turbos, if your going to buy only a hand full of name brand parts, make sure one of them is your turbo, just because its a no name gt35 doesn't mean it's gonna perform like a garret gt35 ect ect.
But, in my honest opinion, if I was gonna stay k03s/4 I would NOT spend close to $1000 on a BorgWarner turbo. Why? Because for 1.) your probably gonna get bored of the measly 250whp before the turbo blows up 2.) if you go with someone like Godspeed Performance, they are quite a bit better then most Chinese company's, and offer a 1 year warranty, again I know of someone who ran one on like 19 psi for about 10 months before it blew the seals... $300 once a year > $1000, just my honest opinion on the matter, because honestly you will want more power, and you will want it a lot sooner then you would think.

For your particular power goals, I would slap on a test pipe, SSAC exhaust, Godspeed K04, No name turbo inlet hose, K&N Cone filter + custom heat shield or blinktek, TT225 Diverter valve / MAF housing and injectors, and some kind of ebay fmic with the piping diameter on the smaller side, no 2.5" required for a k04 hahah. After that you just need a tune, in which I strongly urge you to not go cheap on, as it a world of difference, and as for the narrow band AEB 1.8ts, I would go in the direction of UnitedMotorsports.

Thanks for the extensive list! I'll definitely use it as a guideline (for the tune I'd go to Unitronic, they have a shop 15 minutes away). As for the DV line, I jacked up the car and found that it was hooked up in the right spot, so I want snooping around the turbo, and discovered that the 6 inch line from the air hose to the wastegate actuator was disconnected! A zip tie and voila! Works great, but still down on power. My guess is the diaphragm in the DV is ripped, so its bleeding boost there.
I was reading in anther post about some ECU's reverting back to stock levels if the ECU loses power (disconnected battery?). I got a new battery a little while back, so everything was unhooked for a few hours. Anybody heard of this phenomenon?

RallyeBourne
11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Hey, I am pretty new as well. Just read up on this post and wondered if ya had any updates? :D

brilliantyellow
11-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey, I am pretty new as well. Just read up on this post and wondered if ya had any updates? :D

I've not done anything yet. The damn car keeps springing codes on me, and the turbo is busted again! Lol.