PDA

View Full Version : Skid plate?

BirdTurbo
08-13-2013, 12:35 PM
My skid plate has been gone for some time now and I'm stock 4x4 height with some high tires. I sit at 8inch off the ground. Should I get a skid plate even though it ruined my fender wells because the were not bolted down.

BlackLock_A4
08-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, but depends how much you drive in the snowbanks or act like you have a Trophy Truck. lol

That being said, I know the Panzer Plate (http://www.dieselgeek.com/Audi_A4_Aluminum_Skid_Plate_p/pp-b5a.htm) is a popular choice.

altavant
08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I would say yes...1. I have heard it assists in the engineered airflow in and around the engine compartment...2. it keeps from splashing major shiz up there....that being said our A4 has been without one for years, just never seem to get around to it!...side note: I have Thor skidplate on my B6 and love it, when I hear that scrape I hear money well spent

TJN0923
08-13-2013, 01:42 PM
On stock suspension, as long as you don't drive like an asshat, or live in an area with horrible roads, you'll be just fine.

BirdTurbo
08-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I guess it has been decided that I should ( read the other articles on airflow and plus my fenders wells are shredded because of this). What if I were to want a steel skid plate? how would I go about fabricating one since I don't have the original also is the original is even good enough for a template. What would I need in order to make an effective steel plate that is sound as the original or better in design like panzer plate?

Avant Nate
08-13-2013, 04:52 PM
A long time ago, some one posted the schematics for a b6(I think) skid plate. Try Googling it. I run a Thor, but before I did, my wife ripped the ac lines parkingl to close to the curb. That repair would have paid for the plate. The biggest reason that I know of, is preventing a rock from punching a hole in your pan.

BirdTurbo
08-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Hmm, so the b6 plate is exact fit on b5 a4?

BirdTurbo
08-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have the link to it as can't seem to find it on the website search function. Will this really list everything to make one since I don't have my original one.

Artiemas
08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Why do you want a skid plate 8 inches off the ground? Don't go off jumps and you'll be just fine. I've been running without mine for a while. And honestly, as long as you aren't sitting in traffic for 30 minutes everyday on and off, the airflow vents are just for show. I know, I know, it does help but it isn't the difference between cooking your oil and not. I think it was a 10-15 degree difference? 034 did it, I believe.

If you want a skid plate that bad, go ahead. Go steal a stop sign and fasten it. If you have the 1.8t, the subframe will hit before the oil pan does, IIRC.

woolveren
08-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Just get this for $99 and call it a day;

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/Search/SiteSearch/Belly/ES2225930/

I'm running these for more than a year and half, they are really good.

BirdTurbo
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the input.