PDA

View Full Version : Time for another episode of....Is. It. Totaled??

ElSabio182
08-13-2013, 09:24 AM
That's right folks, it's Audizine's favorite gameshow, where contestants can win heartache, rage and burned-out shells of their former cars, or deeply under-valued checks from their scumbag insurance companies! Johnny, let's meet today's lucky accident victim and play: (audience yells) "IS IT TOTALED!?"

Alright, enough of that. I got rear-ended while stopped at a stop light. The guy admitted he was looking at his GPS and plowed into me, maybe 35 mph. [headbang] As you can see from my signature, I haven't had the best of luck in keeping my cars on the road....my last car got rear-ended and killed also.

As you can see in the pics, the bumper, trunk, quarter-panel are blown. There's a bend in the rear-passenger door, not sure if its fixable. Not sure what it looks like underneath, but the exhaust appears to be intact, and it's drivable (although there's obviously something rubbing on the tire). Clutch was IN when I got hit, so hopefully the tranny didn't get screwed. This is a 2001 A4 V6 (manual, leather) in very good condition. NADA puts the retail value around $6K.

Here's insult to injury: The guy who hit me had a gigantic rats-nest of hair and a 2 foot beard. Patterned dress-socks pulled up to his knees. He was wearing, I shit you not, a kilt...A FUCKING KILT. [evilmad] He hands me his New York state license, and you know what city he's from? Yup. Brooklyn. My car got killed by the King of the Hipsters [headbang] Even worse...he's driving 1) a rental car (a goddamn Subaru) and 2) the rental was taken out under the company he's working for. So not only will the claim process be a BITCH for me to deal with....but since it's not his car or his rental policy, this asshole will have virtually ZERO consequences or inconvenience.

So what do you think...totaled? I put a lot of work/parts into this, I'd like to see it fixed.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/TheJazz7/IMG_20130813_105023_502_zpsb55d63d4.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/TheJazz7/IMG_20130813_105032_736_zpsaac662d6.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/TheJazz7/IMG_20130813_100843_047_zps045a0305.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/TheJazz7/IMG_20130813_100910_944_zps464721bb.jpg

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

ray4624
08-13-2013, 09:42 AM
i read this whole thing...then read your sig and couldnt help but laugh...sorry

That quarter is going to need a lot of work...probably not worth fixing imo. These cars just arent worth much so to fix that would be almost more then what it is worth.

S4NIK8
08-13-2013, 09:49 AM
totaled

ElSabio182
08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
If it is totaled (and I agree, I think it's going to be close)....I'm toying with the idea of buying back the salvage and fixing it. I have no idea about the hassle or insurance implications...I understand it'll be worthless for resale, but I'll just run it into the ground.

My issue is, let's say the give me $5.5K....and I'd like to get another B5, just because that's where I've got some knowledge. I don't think I can find a reliable B5 for that amount of money...at least one that I'd feel comfortable with. With this car, I know its quirks, I know its engine is solid.

I dunno. Still thinking. It's either that, or I try to strip everything off before insurance takes it.

BaseDrifter
08-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Looks totaled to me. That kind of rear quarter panel work isn't easy and with how low these cars are valued now I would expect them to total it.

S4NIK8
08-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Looks totaled to me. That kind of rear quarter panel work isn't easy and with how low these cars are valued now I would expect them to total it.

Yeah, looking at that rear quarter I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it. I'd take the cash and start searching for another.

AudiSport12
08-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks to me like insurane would total that one out. Take the check, find a 1.8t. You've been doing it wrong the whole time! 2.8's are obviously cursed.

Amorphic
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
totalled. I had the same thing happen to my B5. Rear ended in a 4 car pileup. Bent the rear quarters and frame. Upgraded to a B8.5

TJN0923
08-13-2013, 11:46 AM
My issue is, let's say the give me $5.5K....and I'd like to get another B5, just because that's where I've got some knowledge. I don't think I can find a reliable B5 for that amount of money...at least one that I'd feel comfortable with.

You can easily find a reliable b5 for that kind of money. Heck, you can find a reliable one for less then 4k.

If I were you, I'd cut my loses, take the check, and upgrade to either a 1.8t (b5 or b6) or an s4.

ElSabio182
08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
What can I say...I'm a naturally aspirated kind of guy. But who knows...maybe it's time to learn about turbos. Or a PES G2 if I really feel like pissing some money away [:/]

I wish I knew more about body work. I could acquire a new quarter panel off a parts car easy, but dealing with the mess of the frame underneath it to actually mount the damn thing is waaay out of my league.

Fuckity fuck. I was juuuuust getting it to where I wanted it. Spent a weekend scouring a scrap yard to fix a damn cup holder, just took the windshield wiper assembly apart, etc. Sucks. The good news is I was about a week or two away from paying a body-shop to do some paint/touch-up work on the front end. Now THAT would have been a major sunken cost.

Adjuster is coming to my house tomorrow, he'll give me an estimate. The last time this happened, he told me it could go either way, and to see what the shop said...and by the time it was in the shop, I couldn't get my parts back...so I won't make that mistake again. Based on the consensus opinion here, looks like I'm gonna have to do an emergency driveway session to wrench-off as much stuff as I can before insurance takes it. Sideskirts, alloy wheels, grill, etc. Think taking the caliper mounting brackets and the ABS would be too obvious? [wrench]

|Chaz|
08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
I'd take anything and everything you can get away with.

C41ST1
08-13-2013, 01:52 PM
lets be stright...
the body of the b5 is pretty pretty hard...

i have 2 of them and... ive been spending the one and another bottle of rum in the middle of the night fixing and hammering on them :)

simple thing you can do, before you smash the towel and you go and buy a new car !!!

1. take the damaged car to a wheel alignment shop and ask them...
a. check the distance between the front left wheel to rear left wheel stright from the centrum of your axle (wont make it if you mesure it manually) (use the computer they have there) and then the front right to rear right wheel.
b. check the distance between the front wheels touching part of the mag and compare it to the backweels

if there is no difference inbetween, i can say it this way.
you just got the boot bit bend and went inside the door panel and can be fixed quite easily.

some panelbeaters will have just the "right technology"with power and chain to strip it back the way it was.

:)

hope this helps :)

by the way, the chassis of the a4 b5 is not that easy to be bent sidewise !!! all depends on the impact.
ive seen people kissing tree and getting alive out of that thing with way more than 140 km/h ...
with other wods... the 50km/h in the boot.... :) ill take it with a smile !

try your luck ...

bhusted
08-13-2013, 02:08 PM
If they total it, I'd take the money and buy it back from them. Buy a bumper, trunk and section in the rear quarter.

ElSabio182
08-13-2013, 04:31 PM
If they total it, I'd take the money and buy it back from them. Buy a bumper, trunk and section in the rear quarter.

There's the pirate spirit I'm looking for! I want to...but I need to make a smart decision here, not one based on impulse/emotion. We'll see what the adjuster says tomorrow.

Corrado_Guy
08-13-2013, 05:01 PM
It will be a write-off but you may be able to buy it back by why bother? There are still a lot of nice ones around and unitized cars take one hard hit and after that they fold twice as fast so for safety reasons I would let it go. You really have shit luck with these cars but your time between write-offs is certainly increasing. The first one looks like it really hurt, I sure hope you didn't have a passenger during that ride.

coolgraymemo
08-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I have that license plate frame. lol

88ninety9
08-13-2013, 05:36 PM
I found my 99.5 b5 for 3k, and was meticulously maintaned, never smoked in, and clean as fuq. Sucks to see/hear but alteast you didnt get hurt! Good luck whichever way you go

Scientist
08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
If it is totaled (and I agree, I think it's going to be close)....I'm toying with the idea of buying back the salvage and fixing it. I have no idea about the hassle or insurance implications...I understand it'll be worthless for resale, but I'll just run it into the ground.

My issue is, let's say the give me $5.5K....and I'd like to get another B5, just because that's where I've got some knowledge. I don't think I can find a reliable B5 for that amount of money...at least one that I'd feel comfortable with. With this car, I know its quirks, I know its engine is solid.

I dunno. Still thinking. It's either that, or I try to strip everything off before insurance takes it.

DO NOT DO THAT!!!

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!

(Apologies for shouting)

BlackLock_A4
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

(Apologies for shouting)

So inconsiderate, I had my volume up too!

Artiemas
08-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Crash once in a B5, shame on them
Crash twice in a B5, shame on you
Crash..Three times? Wtf man?

ElSabio182
08-14-2013, 10:27 AM
DO NOT DO THAT!!!

(Apologies for shouting)

Haha, no, you’re right…I just needed 24 hours for my head to clear. It’s tough because you definitely get emotionally invested in these cars, makes you want to do dumb things. Adjustor showed up today, he’s gonna total it, and I’m gonna take the money.

Crash once in a B5, shame on them
Crash twice in a B5, shame on you
Crash..Three times? Wtf man?

Dude, I’ve had the WORST run of luck with these…no shame on me, though.

1st car: T-boned by a cop. I ran a faded green arrow, he was speeding. 50% my fault (took him to court and got the tickets thrown out)

2nd car: Got rear-ended. A goddamn truck had its rear door open and dumped its cargo on the highway, brought 4 lanes of 70mph rush hour traffic to a screeching halt. Couldn’t really get too mad at the guy who hit me, shitty situation.

3rd car: This car…I will ABSOLUTELY stay mad at this fucking jack-wagon. It must be tough for him to ride his goddamn vintage bicycle on account of the skirt he clearly enjoys wearing, but he should definitely avoid driving cars. Maybe a moped would work for him. Fucking hipsters.

Only real questions left are:
1) how much money will I get for the car
2) how many parts can I strip off the car before they take it
3) what to buy. I found a VERY affordable supercharged 2.8 (with 200k miles on it) that could be mine [:D]

Cgoon009
08-14-2013, 10:41 AM
This car…I will ABSOLUTELY stay mad at this fucking jack-wagon. It must be tough for him to ride his goddamn vintage bicycle on account of the skirt he clearly enjoys wearing, but he should definitely avoid driving cars. Maybe a moped would work for him. Fucking hipsters.

LOL

Any parts you take off, you have to put back the stock ones. (Askmehowiknow) Taking parts off can lower your check value. I lost a nice set of brakes becasue I didnt have stock ones. So I keep all my stock parts now. Depending on the condition of your car, and how nice your company is, you can look at getting KBB value.

Koldham
08-14-2013, 10:50 AM
get a straight body from pull a part or wherever and swap parts. the donor car could be in any condition (the worse, the cheaper) it would be along project tho

Halfrican
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Nice wide body, bro.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

ElSabio182
08-14-2013, 11:14 AM
LOL

Any parts you take off, you have to put back the stock ones. (Askmehowiknow) Taking parts off can lower your check value. I lost a nice set of brakes becasue I didnt have stock ones. So I keep all my stock parts now. Depending on the condition of your car, and how nice your company is, you can look at getting KBB value.

Yup, I'm frantically looking for a set of stock rotors to replace my current A8/TT carrier setup...and a set of crap wheels with crap tires so I can keep my alloys. A junkyard trip might be in the cards for this weekend.

Cgoon009
08-14-2013, 11:37 AM
I think I have a set of old rotors laying around. There yours if you pay shipping

ElSabio182
08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
I think I have a set of old rotors laying around. There yours if you pay shipping

Word! PM me if you confirm you have 'em...I'm gonna try sourcing them locally (obviously), but if I come up empty this weekend, I'll probably take 'em. What do you think shipping would be? $20-ish? Thx duder!

Artiemas
08-14-2013, 01:24 PM
get a straight body from pull a part or wherever and swap parts. the donor car could be in any condition (the worse, the cheaper) it would be along project tho

OP is looking to save his car, not swap his entire car. The body panels on these cars are hard to get off and it wouldn't be worth the trouble or the money, or the fabrication, or the cutting, etc.

We're looking for logical solutions here.

zandrew
08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Good luck on getting $5500 back from it. Insurance companies don't give retail for vehicles. They give you closer to trade in value and private party value or what they call "cash value". A fancy term for saying we are going to screw you long and hard. $4500 is probably more realistic.

However I have had good luck finding A4 models for less then $3500 in good shape with only your typical issues like driver seat tear and ABS issue. There was a damn near mint 2003 QTM locally that went for $3500 but it was lipstick red. The best deals seem to be found in bigger city though so stay patient and start looking on craigslist.

ElSabio182
08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Good luck on getting $5500 back from it. Insurance companies don't give retail for vehicles. They give you closer to trade in value and private party value or what they call "cash value". A fancy term for saying we are going to screw you long and hard. $4500 is probably more realistic.

However I have had good luck finding A4 models for less then $3500 in good shape with only your typical issues like driver seat tear and ABS issue. There was a damn near mint 2003 QTM locally that went for $3500 but it was lipstick red. The best deals seem to be found in bigger city though so stay patient and start looking on craigslist.

Yeah, I'd actually be pretty happy with $4500...I've gotten a better feel for the market over the past 24 hours, so we shall see. The adjustor did remark that it was in very good condition, so hopefully that'll help.

I've already got a spreadsheet of 20 potential cars from Craigslist and the various Audi forums to look into further...some A4s, some S4s, some Avants, some 2.8s, some 1.8ts, and some manual and some Tip. But all B5s [a4]

ray4624
08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Stick with a manual. You won't regret it.

I wish someone would total my car. I'd love 4500 for it

TJN0923
08-14-2013, 03:13 PM
S4 [up]

If something were to ever happen to my 1.8t I'd definitely go with the s4.

zandrew
08-14-2013, 03:43 PM
S4 is nice but the insurance bends you over and treats your ass like Alice in Wonderland. Plus if you do the A4 right you can make as much hp with a lighter handling car. Plus with S4 there is lil room to get in and add stuff withut costing yourself dearly. You can do a BT setup on a 1.8 for a lot less then you'd think and these motors seem to make around 300AWHP without having to open them up.

Gman56
08-14-2013, 05:35 PM
My c5 A6 was just totaled! 22hrs just to replace quarter panel. Not to mention repair of lft rear axel.$8000 damage! Cars value $8600.I had to let her go.axel from audi was $1200.

TJN0923
08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
BT 1.8t's are great. But you'll never make the torque that an s4 does.

I definitely understand your reasoning for not wanting to go the s4 route though. Best of luck to whatever you decide to do!

ElSabio182
08-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Soooo...I just got the ACV quote that insurance is willing to give me for the car. $7,400 [o_o]

If I want to keep the car as a salvage, they'll give me $6,300 [eek]

This obviously exceeds my expectations. Now the question is: How much do you think a scrap yard or salvage company would give me for the car as-is? Significantly more than $1K?

And before the sharks start circling over a part-out: I live in a rental apartment (although I can get short-term driveway access), and work has me on the road a bit over the next couple months. Point being, I don't really have the resources, time and frankly, I don't have all the know-how necessary to do a full part-out. I could pull minor stuff (headlights, interior, etc.), but nothing like the engine, tranny, or major suspension components. So I'm really looking to sell the whole thing in one shot.

I'm going to contact a few local yards and see what they have to say. In the meantime...my playbook is certainly opened a LOT wider in terms of cars I'm evaluating for purchase! [up]

Tumbler510
08-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Do this! I had a truck worth around $6k. It was totalled (Didn't look much worse than yours), and I opted out of the insurance's "salvage bid" of $1,100. Insurance paid me $6,100 and I took the truck back to my house. Over the next 3 months I slowly disassembled the damaged components, ordered new ones, and outsourced the specialized work to a local body shop. I rebuilt it for $1,200, can resell it for $4,500 easy, and got $6,100 from insurance. If you have the time and patience, it's a smart move to do this.

un1ko
08-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd just take the cash and buy an S4 or maybe a 2001 A4 1.8t AWM and enjoy the new ride..

nick91
08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd just take the cash and buy an S4 or maybe a 2001 A4 1.8t AWM and enjoy the new ride..

^^^^^THIS [:D]

JAM3S121
08-15-2013, 10:14 PM
take the money and find another. for 7,400 you should be able to find a clean car

zandrew
08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Take the $7400 and run. With a part out it will be hard to recoup your funds and the $7400 gives you a lot of options. Personally I'd avoid a WRX and the Evo is a bit out of this range unless you were willing to finance. If you could then me personally I'd go with an older Evo. So easy to make power with and can be driven in multiple conditions. Hell they even get decent mpg and those motors are so proven. Or maybe an Audi TT.

Nothing against the B5 S4 just so hard to work on and costly to make big hp numbers. The crappy part is insurance on none of thes options is cheap.

zandrew
08-16-2013, 05:59 PM
OP is looking to save his car, not swap his entire car. The body panels on these cars are hard to get off and it wouldn't be worth the trouble or the money, or the fabrication, or the cutting, etc.

We're looking for logical solutions here.

Have you ever used panel bond? Its a breaze and cheap to do. ts a type of epoxy which I like better then welding since the weld typiclly rusts and you need to know what your doing to get it to work properly. With Panel bond you cut your panel of a parts car, lay it over the damaged area and mark its outline, cut the area out on the inside leaving about a 1/2" space, use a panel crimper and crimp the panel on the car, put the panel bond on the crimped lip, place replacement panel on the car with self tapping scews, let the eopxy sit over night, remove screws and finish the panel out.

Its incredibly easy and a lot of car manufacturers use the stuff. It holds like a weld and anyone can do it. I replaced a set of panels on my AE86 like this and used some Autocraft brand panel bond but 3M also makes a set. Tools and everything it cost me less then $300 and that includes the panels, epoxy, panel crimper, screws, and epoxy gun. Also needed an air compressor for the panel crimper.