PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Fuel leak!

fouroheight68
07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Allright, so I had a fuel leak a few weeks ago, turned out to be nothing major- the fuel rail wasnt completely tight, and it was leaking around the 1st injector. Fixed it, no problem. Now, last night I was driving, and starting smelling raw gas, and it got worse, and worse. At first, i brushed it off as just running rich (it always has) and I kept an eye on my A/F gauge. I pulled over, checked the injectors, no leaks whatsoever. Looked under the car, no visable leaks. I get to my destination, have dinner, and come back out to my car and look underneath before i start it up. Sure enough, there was a large puddle of raw gas under my car. not good.

So i have it towed home, and looked at it today. I turned the key to the ON position to prime the fuel pump, and check the injectors, nothing, look under the car, nothing, check all the fuel lines, nothing. So, I started it (fire extinguisher in hand) and let it run for 5 minutes while looking under the car, and the injectors, I couldnt find ANY sign of gas leaks. However, I do smell raw gas in the cabin. When I saw the puddle of gas under my car, it was located (or seemed to be) under the shifter. Once I shut the car off, i checked all the fuel lines again, from the tank back, and couldnt find any sign of gas.

Does ANYONE have ANY idea of what this might be, and where the leak might be coming from?

thank you
-Steve

fouroheight68
07-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Anyone??

jaredpgh
07-13-2005, 07:44 AM
If its under the shifter it may be a fuel line.

Daft
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Tell us what you've work on recently. That may help us locate the problem.

Honestly, the fuel lines are the only thing located that far away from the engine or the fuel tank.

fouroheight68
07-13-2005, 09:39 AM
I havent done any work recently, the last mod done was the gt3071r turbo about 12,000 miles ago. The only fuel lines pass under the passenger side of the car, correct? I figure it cant be anything TOO major, because the fuel system only consists of the pump, the lines, the rail, and the injectors, and I can rule all those out except the lines.. im a bit frustrated, it would help if i could see or feel where the fuel is leaking from. I think ill take it to a shop today with a lift so they can get under and look...

jrodmk2
07-13-2005, 10:34 AM
it was up front by the shifter/tunnel general location? the only other thing might be is the fuel pump location towards the back but most likely you checked everything like that already. my a2 gti popped a leak on the top side of the pump but it would only leak if i was point uphil on a slight slope.

i know this a diff. animal but worth a shot i guess.

fouroheight68
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I took it to a shop today because I couldnt get under the car enough to fully look for myself. They couldnt find any FLUID leaks, rather large vapor leaks towards the rear of the car. They wanted to pull the tank and check, but said it was a 7 hour job.. no way. So I got to thinking, and remembered that night i pulled 4 screws out of the trunk carpet leftover from a previous stereo system, and about mins after that was when i smelled gas. those screws must have punctured the tank, and when i pulled them out they must have let the vapor seep into the cabin. So anyways, im pretty positive thats what it was, and the fluid under the car must have been water from the ac (it was night time). Im going to just epoxy the screws and put them back in, i never had a problem before and im not about to drop a grand for a new tank lol. Anyways, i figured while its at the shop i should throw a new timing belt on, so its getting done now.. 500 dollars in labor after.

OverSpun
07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
eh, i wouldnt mess with stuff like punctured fuel tanks. get a new one, it would probably ruin your day if your gas tank somehow exploded. replace it.