PDA

View Full Version : Catch can setups please for AEB

zandrew
08-10-2013, 10:23 PM
I would search for this but I've been having issues with this site. I'm wanting to see people's setups and how they are routing their catch cans. I have an idea how I want to do mine but it's always nice to see some different ideas.

gmx
08-11-2013, 01:19 AM
My preferred street setup is of username: nunya

Route the block breather and T in the VC breather to catch can, draw vacuum from TIP and use an oil drain to the sump.
I think he also uses the PRV valve before the CC (I will be).

Works for him and his PTE5858 (I think?)

xdewaynex
08-11-2013, 07:02 AM
On my AEB, Ive just got the billet block breather from 034 and routed it to a catch can, then a line running down under the car. I had routed to the tip in the past, but I was still getting oil residue on the MAF and inside the tip. Now that its just open, I dont have to worry about that residue. I dont really getting any smell unless Im at a stop light.

M-Hood
08-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Been running a battery size catch can for a long time now. Three 2" round vents with a filter mounted to each one, has a -10 AN line from the VC and one from the block using a 034 block adapter for a long time now. Haven't had to drain any oil out of it since, haven't had to rebuild the motor since putting it in and haven't had a turbo seal let go.

mysman
08-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Here's mine:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/mysman/Catch_Can/Catch_Can_11_19_12001.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/mysman/media/Catch_Can/Catch_Can_11_19_12001.jpg.html)

zandrew
08-11-2013, 01:42 PM
My main goal is too clean up my turbo inlet.

Mike you sent me pictures of nice setup. Where all does it connect too?

Also what to do with the N75 when installing a EBC? I have seen people say just loop them but wanting to verify 100%. I am wanting to see how much difference the EBC will make over the N75 and hoping I gain some spool.

ray4624
08-11-2013, 01:58 PM
AEB doesnt have a VC breather so you only need to do the crank case
I will be ordering the vortex breather and their block breather adapter from 034 this week. I am going to mount it under my coolant res tank

GrapeBandit
08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
034 block breather adapter connected tk a hose that dumps to the ground. why catch tbe shit when u can just dump it in front of a Prius lol

Seerlah
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I have my crank case and valve cover vent teed off together and dumped to under the car. Fixed the frayed hoses in the pics. That is what happens when you use cheap ebay stuff. Using the 034 block adapter and my valve cover is tapped for 1/2" npt. Summit Racing had a nice fitting to go there.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/DSC03440.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/DSC03441.jpg

mysman
08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
AEB doesnt have a VC breather so you only need to do the crank case
I will be ordering the vortex breather and their block breather adapter from 034 this week. I am going to mount it under my coolant res tank

I added a vented valve cover to my AEB and combined crankcase and VC breather into the catch can inlet.

catbed
08-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Mine isn't AEB, but its from the block to VC to catch can under coolant tank to a check valve in the exhaust.

Seerlah
08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
^I plan that same route in the future with the Vibrant E-Vac Scavenger, minus the catch can. Basically same setup that I currently have, but going to SS braided line at a 10 an check valve (already picked this up) to exhaust. Currently it is nylon.

ray4624
08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
034 block breather adapter connected tk a hose that dumps to the ground. why catch tbe shit when u can just dump it in front of a Prius lol

this is very appealing but just how much oil gets dumped under the car?

M-Hood
08-11-2013, 09:18 PM
I have my crank case and valve cover vent teed off together and dumped to under the car. Fixed the frayed hoses in the pics. That is what happens when you use cheap ebay stuff. Using the 034 block adapter and my valve cover is tapped for 1/2" npt. Summit Racing had a nice fitting to go there.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/DSC03440.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/DSC03441.jpg

Bad thing is that the T is going to be a restriction of getting pressure out of both spots at the same time. Just like an exhaust, if you feed 2 into 1 the collector and the 1 after has to be equal in size of the 2 combined before it. You would be better off just running both lines separate to the same spot, same goes if it was going to a catch can. Same goes with a catch can, the vents have to be equal or larger then the pressure lines feeding the catch can, if they aren't then you end up with a bottle neck.

Seerlah
08-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Knew it wasn't a problem with the GT2871R, but never thought about that with the new setup going in. Just ordered more lines and gong to take your advice. Cool thing about these lines is I can go the cheap ebay route.

nunya
08-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks, its a PTE-5557

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nmV_QfqjkxI/T-0-wbdUOaI/AAAAAAABFvU/8rnhYKETM0U/w816-h612-no/IMG_20120628_202413.jpg

It also drains back to the oil pan. Its the 034 v-band setup welded close to be non-vented.

redline380
08-12-2013, 04:49 AM

thats how i have my 06a setup. just a dump from both the crankcase and vc breather. i have the 034 adapter at the crank, which i was somewhat unhappy with. the o-ring supplied doesnt seal very well, so i wrapped a bunch of teflon tape around the base of the adatper. oil was leaking around the o ring and getting all over the bay.

with that said, the open dump can get a bit stinky. highway cruising wont develop a smell, but stop and go city driving does. it doesnt bother me, but a catch can may be in my future

zandrew
08-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Basically my plans were to use a 034 block adapter and then tap the valve cover and run both to a vented catch can probaby beside my battery but something tells me that will make my car quite stinky. I am guessing the best thing to do is dump underneath car if this idea does not work.

ray4624
08-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I ordered the block adapter last night with the 1" nipple and I'm just going to dump it behind my panzer plate. I'll let you know how it goes.

A1 A2 German
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
AEB with vented cover, O34 bung:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Audi%20Final%20Chapter%20Build/CoolantTanks002.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/Audi%20Final%20Chapter%20Build/CoolantTanks002.jpg.html)

zandrew
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this but I have a interesting option since I run an oil less turbo. I could use the factory drain return from a catch and keep from venting anything. If I do this will I have to run a sealed or vented setup though?

catbed
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this but I have a interesting option since I run an oil less turbo. I could use the factory drain return from a catch and keep from venting anything. If I do this will I have to run a sealed or vented setup though?

You need to vent the PCV, period. Unless you like blowing out oil seals.

zandrew
08-12-2013, 04:38 PM
You need to vent the PCV, period. Unless you like blowing out oil seals.

Which oil seals are you referring to specifically? I don't mind running a vented catch can just don't want to deal with the smell assoiated with it. Yes I want my damn cake and I want to eat it too.

catbed
08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Which oil seals are you referring to specifically? I don't mind running a vented catch can just don't want to deal with the smell assoiated with it. Yes I want my damn cake and I want to eat it too.

The rear main seal, front crank seal, cam seals. PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation, if you don't want smell route it to the TIP or put a venturi in your exhaust. The TIP route burns the oil vapor so that will smell less than the exhaust route.

zandrew
08-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I got you. I thought you was referring to turbo seals.

Right now I am leaning towards modifying the valve cover and use a 034 billet block adapter. Route both to catch can with a breather. How bad is the smell?

catbed
08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I got you. I thought you was referring to turbo seals.

Right now I am leaning towards modifying the valve cover and use a 034 billet block adapter. Route both to catch can with a breather. How bad is the smell?

Turbos don't have seals per se, But that's besides the point [:D]

I have the billet block adapter, fantastic piece. If your vent is on the passenger side of the bay, the smell is terrible (IMO) when you're not moving, and its barely tolerable at speed due to the fresh air inlet. But I don't want any smells in the cabin, so I changed my CC set-up to dump under the car, and then changed it to the exhaust venturi.

It doesn't smell like burning oil, it smells like oil vapor. After you park the car pop the hood and the 710 cap, and waft some of that goodness. Imagine that but worse haha.

zandrew
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh they have seals. Trust me on that. When you have installed as many as I have you would agree. There's even different types.

Was it ok when you dumped under the car? Who'd thought there is so many different ways to do a catch can.

M-Hood
08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
If you don't vent the pressure out from the crank case you will also get way more blow by and decrease the life of the piston rings, also decrease in power seeing all that pressure sits under the piston on the down stroke.

Turbos don't have seals per se, But that's besides the point [:D]

I have the billet block adapter, fantastic piece. If your vent is on the passenger side of the bay, the smell is terrible (IMO) when you're not moving, and its barely tolerable at speed due to the fresh air inlet. But I don't want any smells in the cabin, so I changed my CC set-up to dump under the car, and then changed it to the exhaust venturi.

It doesn't smell like burning oil, it smells like oil vapor. After you park the car pop the hood and the 710 cap, and waft some of that goodness. Imagine that but worse haha.

I used to get the smell long time ago with my small Moroso catch can, since I put the huge catch can I have yet to smell it. I also don't get any vapor coming out of the filters and no oil dripping off the filters onto the top of the catch can, my filters still look brand new.