PDA

View Full Version : Clutch for a 2.8 with LWFW

Kenrevo
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Has anyone used an unsprung clutch with the a light weight flywheel?
It would be for my daily driver. I've read that the clutch will grab instantly, it's a lot more aggressive, noise at idle and there's more vibrations going to transmission. But I want to know how how it would be to drive in stop and go, parallel park, and most importantly how would it be for the passenger? I also read that riding the clutch is even worst and can cause the disc to glaze, has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for any input, but please don't just say no, don't do it, or it's horrible I want to know why.

seanj130
08-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Unsprung on a stock 2.8? Not sure why you would want to. LWFW is normal to go with, I don't think you should have a problem with an unsprung clutch..

Artiemas
08-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Your car is stock. Go with simple things. If you really, really want a LWFW, go with a 12lb-16lb. I'd lean more towards the 16. I really don't understand people's fascination with LWFWs on stock cars.

It's a 2.8. A good DD. People need to stop trying to make the 2.8s some race car.

034Motorsport
08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Your car is stock. Go with simple things. If you really, really want a LWFW, go with a 12lb-16lb. I'd lean more towards the 16. I really don't understand people's fascination with LWFWs on stock cars.

It's a 2.8. A good DD. People need to stop trying to make the 2.8s some race car.
We've seen our fair share of stock dual-mass flywheels that are falling apart. Many people prefer the feel of a single-mass flywheel, and a lightweight version does make the car rev more quickly.

That being said, if you're using a stock unsprung disc clutch kit, like a 2.7T one, you won't have any drivability issues. If you go with an aftermarket clutch with a more aggressive (sintered iron, cerametallic, etc) we'd recommend a sprung hub disc.

We make a complete kit that converts you over to a stock B5 S4 2.7T clutch kit, with our lightweight flywheel: 034Motorsport B5 Audi A4 2.8L 30V to B5 Audi S4 2.7T Clutch Conversion Kit (http://www.034motorsport.com/clutches-flywheels-034motorsport-clutch-flywheel-packages-034motorsport-b5-audi-a4-28l-30v-to-b5-audi-s4-27t-clutch-conversion-kit-p-23651.html?utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=Laszlo%40034)

http://www.034motorsport.com/images/B5_Audi_A4_28L_S4_27T_Clutch_Conversion_Flywheel.j pg

Kenrevo
08-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the combination and see how it is.