PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper valance with intercooler

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to get this CX racing intercooler on without risking smashing it on parking blocks and not having a front bumper valance. Anyone have any tips? If I bring it up it hits the rebar.

Looks like this now:

http://imgur.com/l3qHNv9.jpg

coolgraymemo
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Search.

Cut the rebar.

M-Hood
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Come on everyone here should know that you have to cut the bottom lip of the rebar to fit a FMIC. There has to be hundreds of threads on just this forum alone showing that fact. lol

034 even has a Instructional Guide to installing their FMIC onto a B5 with it showing detailed pictures of how to cut the bumper support.
http://www.034motorsport.com/docs/034FMIC_install.pdf

BTW is your Google Search engine broken for some reason [;)]
[:p]

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
That's illegal where I live...

coolgraymemo
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Just cut the top of the intercooler then.

M-Hood
08-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Illegal or not you will have to do it, there is no way around it unless you don't want to run a FMIC. Plus it is just the rebar, it isn't like it is going to do much to stop the car from being damaged at anything over 5mph.

demonmk2
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM

do you really think it'll get noticed?

Seerlah
08-05-2013, 04:06 PM

haha. My car is far from road legal, as is many of the member's on here. Welcome to the club.

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 04:18 PM
haha. My car is far from road legal, as is many of the member's on here. Welcome to the club.

Well my province has no environmental law, so I'm road legal.

xdewaynex
08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Definitely going to have to cut the rebar, or not run the fmic at all. You wont be cutting enough to really screw things up anyways. Like mentioned, the rebar wont save you from much anyways.

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Definitely going to have to cut the rebar, or not run the fmic at all. You wont be cutting enough to really screw things up anyways. Like mentioned, the rebar wont save you from much anyways.

Will do. Not run it? Haha in sure my 2871R would like that :)

xdewaynex
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Here is a not so good pic of how much I cut. Same length cut on the sides, then straight across. On the top and bottom of the bar.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x116/xdewaynex/Audi%20A4/2011-12-10115120.jpg

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
It's hitting the fog lights now. How do I fit this bitch?

Cgoon009
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Cut the damn rebar with a serious cutting tool. Dude, no cop is going to see that when they stop you. Cut it and fab your own brackets.

Seerlah
08-05-2013, 06:42 PM
lol

M-Hood
08-05-2013, 07:08 PM
It's hitting the fog lights now. How do I fit this bitch?

Sell it and buy a real FMIC kit that was actually designed for your car. lol

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Cut the damn rebar with a serious cutting tool. Dude, no cop is going to see that when they stop you. Cut it and fab your own brackets.

I broke the dremel :(

Seerlah
08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
You really did not try and cut the rebar with a Dremel did you?

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM
You really did not try and cut the rebar with a Dremel did you?

No, used a cut off saw to cut it down, needed the dremel just to smooth things out.

I drove my car around the block today with no front bumper... I have no words to express how awesome that was... Except for the stall, then flooding the engine, then really unpleasant sound... Gotta get used to this insane FX400.

bw86
08-05-2013, 07:52 PM
lol a dremel? I used a sawzall to cut mine.

I don't understand how you flooded your engine...

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 08:04 PM
lol a dremel? I used a sawzall to cut mine.

I don't understand how you flooded your engine...

I don't know either. I stalled rolling out of my driveway and the car wouldn't turn over for a good 20 seconds. Then there was the sound of it firing hard, and it went back to normal...

xdewaynex
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Its a common thing for cheaper fmic kits to hit the fog lights. Ive ran into the same problem on the passenger side, but I plan to have my piping fixed so I can run my fogs. The piece together piping kit you have, the pipes come out too far from the intercooler, and runs into the fogs. Ive got the Godspeed piping kit made for the 1.8t, but still had to do a little customizing on the passenger side.

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Its a common thing for cheaper fmic kits to hit the fog lights. Ive ran into the same problem on the passenger side, but I plan to have my piping fixed so I can run my fogs. The piece together piping kit you have, the pipes come out too far from the intercooler, and runs into the fogs. Ive got the Godspeed piping kit made for the 1.8t, but still had to do a little customizing on the passenger side.

Mines all driver side, passenger side fits fine.

getslideways
08-05-2013, 08:36 PM
If you are really worried about the rebar being cut, you could always re-box and weld the cut area to reinforce it.

Also, judging by your avatar pic, put down the lighter for a few minutes and these answers will come easier [:D]

ToXicXxX
08-05-2013, 08:39 PM
If you are really worried about the rebar being cut, you could always re-box and weld the cut area to reinforce it.

Also, judging by your avatar pic, put down the lighter for a few minutes and these answers will come easier [:D]

Sir that is an OBX TIP.

xdewaynex
08-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Mines all driver side, passenger side fits fine.

The bend on the driver side is too far out. If you can cut that piping down, bring that bend closer to the radiator support, you should be good to go.

nizmosx
08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
There is a way of getting around cutting your core support. in 2 easy steps

1. sell your existing setup.
2. buy and install a racetech intercooler
http://www.racetec-us.com/

i have it on my car now, absolutely no trimming to the aluminum necessary. Here it is on my car. price is a little steep for it, but if its ILLEGAL to trim your support and youre scared, this may be what you want.

here it is on my car
http://www.kinkypeanuts.com/junk/salton_sea/img/4.jpg

Artiemas
08-08-2013, 01:41 PM
With the amount of threads you're making on how to do your car, you might as well just give it to someone and say,"Here, I can't use the search function. Do it for me?"

Anyways, stop being dumb, cut your rebar enough to fit the core comfortably. Don't go smooshing things in and breaking shit. And no one is going to see your damned rebar, holy poop. Did you really have to "smooth it out" with a dremel? Judging from how you fit your TIP, I didn't think you cared how shit looked/functioned.

Bend, swear, bend some more, actually take a step into your car without thinking to yourself
"Maybe I should ask Audizine..."