PDA

View Full Version : Group IV oils?

Trevman
08-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I've searched around quite a bit for an answer to these couple of questions... I have been using RP 5w40, but after researching it, am finding that shell rotella t6 is used by most with good results. However I have also heard a lot of good things about amsoil's euro mid-SAPS.
From my research it seems that the amsoil is made with a Group IV base, but I can't seem to figure out what ROT T6 is made from...I saw one post on BITOG where a guy said it was made from Group III+, but that was one random post...

1. Aside from a hopeful google search... How do you find out which Group an oil falls into? Is the only option to contact the manufacturer and hope they are honest?

2. What group does Shell Rotella T6 fall into?

.Mad Hatter.
08-05-2013, 06:23 AM
There was a massive thread on this many years ago, but for the life of me I can't find it. I THINK Rotella T was a Group IV. I use Motul, which is, amsoil, elf, shell euro blend (only), Mobil 1 euro (only) were also in that group.

Trevman
08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Alright, how about this...I decided to go amsoil, but they have a mid-SAPS and a full-SAPS. Which one do I want for my stock engine?

coolgraymemo
08-07-2013, 05:34 PM
These are mostly guesses:

German Castrol: Group IV
T6: High Group III

.Mad Hatter.
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes Euro Castrol (only) was group 4. I thought Rotella was, mainly because it is priced reasonably well and that stood out. As far as SAPS; I'm not sure.

Artiemas
08-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Dear lord, another oil thread...

Trevman
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Okay, I just got off the phone with a tech Amsoil. He said anytime a car's spec oil can use either a full-SAPS or mid-SAPS,(which is the case in mine) the full-SAPS is slightly better. (And it's cheaper too [up]). Some engines (i.e. some BMW engines) require additives that can only exist when SAPS are removed. That is why there are oils with different levels of SAPS and why I will be going with Amsoil European 5w-40 Full-SAPS

Seerlah
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I used to run Amsoil and only Amsoil (tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, have amsoil power steering fluid for when I do the flush). I now run Rotella T6.