PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Electrical Issue...No Idea...

Ryanic
07-31-2013, 10:09 PM
So this is the third time that this issue has sprung up now within the past two weeks....

The issue is that when I turned on my turn signals, it's like temporarily cut out my headlights... So they'd "turn off" and "turn back on" for a second. First time I noticed it, was when I was flipping on my right turn signal.

(I've only noticed this at night obviously when my headlights are on)

Second time I don't really remember what I was doing when it happened but I tried to use my turn signals and same thing...

Third time this has happened was tonight... At first it cut out for the second when I tried to turn right...so then after realizing this has started to happen more often I tried to diagnose the issue. So I kept turning on and off my right turn signal... It'd keep cutting out the headlight for a second. After about 10 attempts of doing that...When I flicked on my right turn signal it just completely shut off my lights for good.... Even though the switch was on. So I turned off the turn signal...and they didn't pop back on..so I turned off my headlight switch and back on, and they popped back on. When I tried my left turn signal, no issues happened.... So I went back to turning on the right turn signal and it shut them off for good again... The next thing I tried was to flip on my brights without my turn signal on and it killed my lights completely also.... Tried it a few times and kept getting the same thing... Drove it home the last mile to my house, stopped it in the middle of the road to let my cat get in the car (Because he was just standing in the middle of the road like a dumbass) and then drove it 100ft and parked it and with the car running tried to run through the issues again...And I got NOTHING... All the turn signals worked, brights worked etc... No issues of it cutting out.

I'm baffled... In between the three times I've had issues.. I've drove it at night with no issues absolutely at all..So I have no idea even where to being to diagnose this or any ideas at all...

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Sounds like the headlamp switch is bad. It is integral to the turn signal switch - all one assembly. They are pricey and high failure rate on the B5 chassis. In my opinion, it is because the switch is entirely overloaded from the factory - but that's just my opinion.

bryans12v
08-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Did you try the hazards? See if they'll cut you lights too. If not i would suspect the stalk is either going bad or has dirty contacts or both. I've seen them go bad, more so on the vw side.

In order to replace it, the wheel has to come off.

Ryanic
08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Walky where is the headlamp switch? I have a 99 1.8t parts car. Can I pull ut from that and put it into my 98 2.8l?

And ill try the hazards today if the issue pops up again... and I'm sure u mean the steering wheel needs to come off haha not a actual wheel.

Also you don't think it could be related to the hazard button/Relay just above the stereo do you? I'm selling that part today and the guy I was talking to said he was having some weird light issues and needed to replace his...So I don't want to sell my replacement for that if I might need it hah

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Walky where is the headlamp switch? I have a 99 1.8t parts car. Can I pull ut from that and put it into my 98 2.8l?

The headlamp switch is a small lever on the left hand side of the steering column. It is marked with a small pictograph of a light bulb to denote it's purpose. Pushing it up gives parking lights. Pushing it up further turns on the headlamps. The lever is within safe and easy reach of the steering wheel. Quite genius, really.

There is a compatibility issue between the switch assemblies. There are "early" and "late" assemblies. The changeover happens at VIN 8D-W-007 800. So if both cars are on the same side of that VIN split, they will interchange. Otherwise, no.

Early:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Interior/Switches/Headlight/ES4346/

Late:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Interior/Switches/Headlight/ES2581789/

Ryanic
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Haha, smart ass. :P Threw me off... If you said lever/stalk I would have totally understood. But really I appreciate your help. So it looks like I should just try to replace the stalk/switch/lever... I've been needing to remove the cruise control stalk anyways to try and clean the contacts to get my cruise control to work again..So this will give me an excuse, two birds with one removal... hopefully.

My 98 2.8L Vin waued28d2wa224920

My 99 1.8T Vin waucb28d8xa032447

Switch for turn signals, high/low beams ,headlamp flasher, & parking light for cars with cruise control.
From VIN #8D-W-007 800, split is in model year 1998

So since my vin is 8D - W - 224 920 It's past the 8D-W-007 800,
And since the parts car win is 8D - X - 032 447 It's also after the 8D-W-007 800 split? Since X is after W?

bryans12v
08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Yes they should be same.

Yes the hazard switch is on the headlamp circuit. It has to flash the parking lamps. The switch is the hazard button unit itself and is a very common failure. More so that the stalk assembly.

Don't rule out the stalk though. From the way it sounds You may have to do the stalk just swap hazards first.

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes the hazard switch is on the headlamp circuit. It has to flash the parking lamps.

Incorrect. The parking lights do not flash with hazard switch operation. There are 2 separate filaments in the orange 3157 front corner lights:

8 watt (Dim) Filament = parking lights
27 watt (Bright) Filament = turn signal / hazard

The circuits are entirely separate. There is no failure of the hazard switch that will interrupt headlamp operation.

Ryanic
08-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Well I pulled the stalk from my parts car... So I'll have to just swap it out here within the next day or so when I have the time. "Crosses fingers that this new used stalk will fix my cruise control not working also"

Thank you walky! and bryans!

Ryanic
08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Well Swapped out the stalk.. We'll see if the issue persists... And swapping the stalk didn't fix my cruise control so I'm assuming it's going to be the cruise control module by the passenger airbag... Unless the stalk I swapped in also had a bad cruise control level etc.

nizmosx
08-02-2013, 02:37 PM
just fyi i have the stalk i think youre looking for in great condition. PM me if youre interested, i can ship it out to you, you can test with it and send it back. just pay shipping.

Ryanic
08-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I pulled the stalk I needed from my parts car, fo freeeee. Just waiting to drive at night to test it out and see if it's working/Issue comes back.