PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions... (paint)

TJN0923
07-30-2013, 07:47 PM
So my paint is majorly screwed. It is beyond buff-able/wax-able/fixable. However, the paint is only bad on the roof and rear bumper.

Here's the carnage:

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/96/xmu0.jpg

Now here are my solutions...

1. Simple respray of brilliant black. Should run about 600-700 bucks to respray the roof and rear bumper.

2. Plasti-dip the car (thinking of a matte white wit pearlizer coat on top)

- For those of you who haven't seen this color, it can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfShVuhQC8

- Also, this project would run about 300-400 bucks total. I figure it could last me throughout the winter into next summer, while in the meantime, i can save up for a fresh respray of the entire car of the color of my choice [cool]

3. $50 paint job.

- This is definitely the cheapest, yet riskiest of the options. Because if i eff up my paint, i won't be able to fix it all at once.

Sooooooo.... any suggestions? i'm stuck here guys.

coolgraymemo
07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
No to Plasti-dip.

Maybe wrapping?

TJN0923
07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I thought about wrapping, but i wasn't quite sure of the cost.

I was also concerned about the durability. My car isn't garaged (obviously looking at the roof), and i don't know how well a wrap would hold up to Pa winters.

Cgoon009
07-30-2013, 09:51 PM
CF wrap on the roof, use sotchprint, love that stuff, held up well! Oh and about 200 for the roll.

TJN0923
07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
ehh. I can't say that i'm a fan of carbon fiber to be honest.

Something about it never really appealed to me.

Cgoon009
07-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Well they have other colors, black, gloss black, matte black, metal, chrome, you name it.

Gumby
07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Respray it in BB and raise the value of your car. Neither of the other two options will do that.

TJN0923
07-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not concerned about raising the value to be honest. I plan on keeping this car forever (or until the wheels literally fall off and I can no longer fix it).

It will get a proper full respray in the near future. I was actually leaning towards nogaro...

These were just options I was throwing out there. I wanted to see what you guys think. As for now, I believe the smartest decision is to just get the roof and bumper redone. I just didn't want to go through and spend that kind of money if I didn't want to keep the color brilliant black forever.

ricekikr
07-31-2013, 06:30 AM
I figure it could last me throughout the winter into next summer, while in the meantime, i can save up for a fresh respray of the entire car of the color of my choice

Option 4: Do nothing. Save money for the "planned" full re-spray.

AudiSport12
07-31-2013, 06:43 AM
^This

TJN0923
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, that's also a possibility.

I'm just so indecisive whenever it comes to this stuff

Ryanic
07-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Just save up for a few more months for a proper full respray. No sense in throwing a few hundred dollars for a temp cover up if you're going to just respray the entire car in the future. If you just skip the temp cover paint then you'll get to your full respray faster.

TJN0923
07-31-2013, 09:15 AM
True true.

It just sucks having to look at this every time I see my car [headbang]

c0r3y.af
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Hard to tell from the pic but that might just be serious clear coat damage. Try to wet-sand it with a very, very fine sandpaper and then buff it. I would just save the money for a full respray later. I suppose dip wouldn't be too hard but it wouldn't really match anything else and dipping the entire car will cost a few hundo and is a bitch to get off later.

TJN0923
07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Hard to tell from the pic but that might just be serious clear coat damage. Try to wet-sand it with a very, very fine sandpaper and then buff it. I would just save the money for a full respray later. I suppose dip wouldn't be too hard but it wouldn't really match anything else and dipping the entire car will cost a few hundo and is a bitch to get off later.

I actually did that a few months ago. My buddy works at a local detailing shop and he buffed the entire car for me.

The only problem is that after a few months and washes later it just went right back to this.