PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had...

ToXicXxX
07-30-2013, 06:11 PM
A missing transmission bolt? Number 2 and number on mine is missing. Yup, not even on the car, no sheared bolt in the car. Just not there. Happy I caught this.

Update... It's broken off in the car. I'm not pulling the engine to drill it. What can I do?

Poopie
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't have two lowers in mine where it's tucked behind the subframe. Never had an issue

Gumby
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Lots of people leave the three bolts on the bottom of the bell housing out to make transmission removal easier.

ToXicXxX
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Alright. I guess I'll have the others in.

I'm amazed the lazy ass mechanic who did the clutch left a sheared bolt in the tranny and never told anyone.

Avant Nate
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Probably figured you'd sell the car before you found it.

Seerlah
07-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Lots of people leave the three bolts on the bottom of the bell housing out to make transmission removal easier.

I'm one of them. Only bolts I have I think are 4. One on each corner of the short block where it meets the bell housing. That, along with starter bolts.

Gumby
07-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Same here. I launch my car pretty regularly, no issues.

ToXicXxX
07-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Probably figured you'd sell the car before you found it.

He didnt do the clutch for me, the original owner had it done a bit before I bought it.

1986nate
07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Yep, I only put one out of the 3 lower bolts back in on mine. Considering older Subarus only have 4 bellhousing bolts and do just fine, pretty sure it'll be fine missing a couple :p

I've also beat the living hell out of mine in the last 25k miles or so since doing this.

ToXicXxX
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Yep, I only put one out of the 3 lower bolts back in on mine. Considering older Subarus only have 4 bellhousing bolts and do just fine, pretty sure it'll be fine missing a couple :p

I've also beat the living hell out of mine in the last 25k miles or so since doing this.

Older subaru's? Like the ones with the 30 year old 100hp max transmission in them?

M-Hood
08-01-2013, 06:05 AM
I find mine missing every time I pull my transmission, but that is because I took them out about 10 years ago and left them out. Not a single issue with them out all of that time with all of the launching I do on drag radials and making up to 650whp.

I only run the 7 bolts that go up along the side/top. That would be 3 on the driver side, 1 at the very top and 3 on the passenger side. This way I never have to deal with the subframe or lift the block/trans up to get those stupid forward facing bolts out.

ToXicXxX
08-01-2013, 07:25 AM
I find mine missing every time I pull my transmission, but that is because I took them out about 10 years ago and left them out. Not a single issue with them out all of that time with all of the launching I do on drag radials and making up to 650whp.

I only run the 7 bolts that go up along the side/top. That would be 3 on the driver side, 1 at the very top and 3 on the passenger side. This way I never have to deal with the subframe or lift the block/trans up to get those stupid forward facing bolts out.

Those bolts have the worst positioning ever. I had to push my tranny up to be able to get a wrench in there. They are going in the garbage...

Looks like mine isn't missing, the hole is in the tranny but the block and gasket do not have a hole for that bolt. Now it makes sense why my bolts were in different locations then the guide I found.

Do you properly torque your tranny bolts to all the weird different specs? Or can I just toss them on? Because getting a torque wrench in there seems to be impossible.

M-Hood
08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Those bolts have the worst positioning ever. I had to push my tranny up to be able to get a wrench in there. They are going in the garbage...

Looks like mine isn't missing, the hole is in the tranny but the block and gasket do not have a hole for that bolt. Now it makes sense why my bolts were in different locations then the guide I found.

Do you properly torque your tranny bolts to all the weird different specs? Or can I just toss them on? Because getting a torque wrench in there seems to be impossible.

What guide were you using? Because all of the 1.8t blocks should have the bolts in the same locations.

Nope, I just hand tighten them with a socket or wrench.

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 08:04 AM
I torqued all mine to spec. But my engine/trans was on the floor at the time, haha. In the car, forget about the torque wrench and just get them tight.

ToXicXxX
08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
What guide were you using? Because all of the 1.8t blocks should have the bolts in the same locations.

Nope, I just hand tighten them with a socket or wrench.

Can find it web I get home, at work on my iPhone right now haha.

Maybe it was for a 2.8?

M-Hood
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Can find it web I get home, at work on my iPhone right now haha.

Maybe it was for a 2.8?

That would be my guess since it is the same 01A bell housing but different block.