PDA

View Full Version : Head unit going bad..? + Post pics of aftermarket HU

ConradS
07-29-2013, 06:32 PM
(Updated, please see Post #10)

2001 A4 with non-bose system. Radio will play for a while just fine, then the music cuts out and all of the tweeters will 'click' constantly until I turn the radio off. Once the car is off then turned back on, the radio will play normal again.

I do have my music playing only through the rear speakers, because the front driver speaker is shot.

Is my head unit causing the 'clicking' (going bad)?

I'd rather install a aftermarket head unit anyway, but it seems like a single din wouldn't look good in the large opening. I don't want to spend the money on a double din, so if you have a picture of your single din, I'd like to see it to get an idea of how it would look.

Thanks for any help and pictures.

ConradS
07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I want to get this issue resolved asap, it's very annoying..

andyrew
08-01-2013, 01:45 AM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCI0022.JPG

I just used some pipe weld and some abs plastic, filled the hole with the stock dash trim and used all the pieces from the aftermarket HU. Im sure there are aftermarket filler kits, but I wanted to do something that looked a little more stock. I did some more finish work after the pic and have been happy with it. Not the best, but fine for a driver.

FNK
08-01-2013, 03:14 PM
My radio is doing that too, sort of...
It beep from time to time. Like one of the coils pick electromagnetic signals.

We can get a replacement on ECS tuning for 35~40$

ianwpb
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-V6_30v/Interior/Sound_System/Head_Unit/ES429216/

This is your cheapest option, unless you can find one used for cheaper.

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Single DIN looks funky on a facelift. Double DIN for the Win.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/photobucket-3577-1355948949754.jpg

ConradS
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
^ Is that a tablet? Lol nice, looks good.

My radio hasn't been finicky after I adjusted the EQ settings. If it happens again, I'll order another radio from ECS since it's so cheap. Thanks guys.

walky_talky20
08-01-2013, 08:18 PM
^ Is that a tablet?

It's kind of old school now, but was pretty cutting edge when I put it in 5 years ago. Most new cars didn't have built in touch screens back then. And tablets weren't even a "thing" yet. I have a Pentium 4 XP box in the trunk with a DC-DC ATX power supply. 7" VGA LED backlit touchscreen in the dash. Community driven front end software. Pumps out the tunes, and can do GPS navigation and such.

ConradS
08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
That's pretty cool.

ConradS
08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Bringing this back up...occasionally when I hit a bump the speakers will stop playing music completely. The music will continue again at a random time while I'm driving, usually taking a good 15 minutes or so. I've pulled my radio out before, the connectors are all plugged in completely. What I noticed though was that when I shook the head unit, it sounded like something metal was in it...now whether that be coins or pieces of the inside of the head unit, I have no idea.

Does it sound like my head unit is bad, or maybe my amp? I have a hard time believing ALL of my speakers are bad seeing as they all work great when this situation doesn't happen.

BirdTurbo
08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem too. ^

ConradS
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Tweeter(s) are 'clicking' again also. Again, this is randomly happening. I'd hate to just start replacing parts but nobody seems to have an answer so far.

ConradS
08-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Bueller.

Bueller.

disturbed_audi
08-22-2013, 10:54 PM
It's kind of old school now, but was pretty cutting edge when I put it in 5 years ago. Most new cars didn't have built in touch screens back then. And tablets weren't even a "thing" yet. I have a Pentium 4 XP box in the trunk with a DC-DC ATX power supply. 7" VGA LED backlit touchscreen in the dash. Community driven front end software. Pumps out the tunes, and can do GPS navigation and such.

oh man please fill me in on this? is this basically a fully function computer in your car? I been wanting to do this but don't know a damn thing about mobile media.

ipop07
08-23-2013, 07:40 AM
I have a brand new concert 1 radio if anyone is interested ;) :p

walky_talky20
08-23-2013, 08:18 AM
oh man please fill me in on this? is this basically a fully function computer in your car? I been wanting to do this but don't know a damn thing about mobile media.

Yes. It's just a Dell Dimension something or other. (Yes, I'm an IT guy. No, I can't remember the exact model or specs of the computer I drive to work with every single day. lol) I put it in a smaller case and it lives in the trunk. The only special part of the PC is the power supply. Its a DC-DC supply with an ignition sense/timer feature. So it pulses the power button when I turn the key on, and pulses it again 5 seconds after I turn the key off. So it turns on and off automatically. Good quality sound card that outputs into the factory Bose amp, and the 7" VGA panel with USB touch screen up front. PC was free. The only major expense was the screen. With the 2DIN adapter and everything, that was around $200 way back when. Might be cheaper now, and certainly there are better screens available (transflective, DVI inputs, etc).

Coolest feature IMO is the "exit music". So when I roll into a parking spot and shut off the key, I still have about 7-10 seconds of music as I get out and lock the doors. Can make for a dramatic arrival of sorts. So long as you aren't blaring Justin Bieber or what have you, lol.

Let me know if you want any more details. Or check out mp3car.com

disturbed_audi
08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
cool i'm going to look into it and i'm going to do this for sure its just a matter of when so i'll be pm you a lot thanks walky

ianwpb
08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
So long as you aren't blaring Justin Bieber or what have you, lol.

What else is there in this world?

ConradS
08-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Front passenger tweeter is acting up, and this may sound weird, but when I floor it, it tends to act up more.

Also, when the car is idling, and I roll the windows up or down, when letting my finger off the window switch, the idle jumps once.

Almost getting the impression I have something wrong with my charging system. Any thoughts on this?