PDA

View Full Version : Doing clutch... Can't get drive shaft bolts loose

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Anyone got any ideas on this one? If I try any harder I'm gonna strip these Allen bolts and be completely screwed. I have it soaking in PB, but I just can't get them to move.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Can you get a vice grip on them too? If so, combination vice grip and allen tool will help. Also, impact guns can shock stuck bolts out quite well. Just put a lot of forward pressure into it to keep it from jumping. Also make sure the bolts are totally clean from crap inside. Dirt will cause you to strip them out.

Brens
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Or use a breaker bar and have someone hit the end of it with a ~5lb hammer as you turn it. I've done this to break some bolts free when I couldn't use an impact gun.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Can you get a vice grip on them too? If so, combination vice grip and allen tool will help. Also, impact guns can shock stuck bolts out quite well. Just put a lot of forward pressure into it to keep it from jumping. Also make sure the bolts are totally clean from crap inside. Dirt will cause you to strip them out.

Im really worried they will strip, then we are completely screwed.

Or use a breaker bar and have someone hit the end of it with a ~5lb hammer as you turn it. I've done this to break some bolts free when I couldn't use an impact gun.

Really worried they are gonna break. I've broke a few 6mm bolts in this car already, these ones are something I can't deal with.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Im really worried they will strip, then we are completely screwed.

Hence the reason why you use the vice grip AND the allen head socket. I had to do this for carb screws on my bike.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Hence the reason why you use the vice grip AND the allen head socket. I had to do this for carb screws on my bike.

I feel like i'll sheer the head off the screw... I may just eat the cost and pay someone to do my clutch...

nynoah
07-28-2013, 06:25 PM
You can also go to sears and get some form of an easy out. Also those allens are hardened grade 8. Its not going to be easy to sheer them. Yes it can happen but it won't be so easy to.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
You can also go to sears and get some form of an easy out. Also those allens are hardened grade 8. Its not going to be easy to sheer them. Yes it can happen but it won't be so easy to.

An easy out on the driveshaft? Shit man that sounds tricky.

Gumby
07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Are you using a regular allen wrench, or an allen socket on a wratchet? If not, get an Allen socket, and tap it in with a hammer to make sure it's seated in the bolt good.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Are you using a regular allen wrench, or an allen socket on a wratchet? If not, get an Allen socket, and tap it in with a hammer to make sure it's seated in the bolt good.

It's a 6mm allen socket from sears.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Wait wait wait.... DRIVE SHAFT as in CV joint? or drive shaft as in central sending power to the rear. Front CV is a 12 point star. The allen bolts for the drive shaft are VERY torqued on and with loctite. You need an allen head socket and then put a cheater bar on the end of the wrench to get those to pop. Just apply pressure slow and make sure you use a hammer to seat them like Gumby said. Sorry I misread this thinking you were talking about the clutch plate bolts.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Wait wait wait.... DRIVE SHAFT as in CV joint? or drive shaft as in central sending power to the rear. Front CV is a 12 point star. The allen bolts for the drive shaft are VERY torqued on and with loctite. You need an allen head socket and then put a cheater bar on the end of the wrench to get those to pop. Just apply pressure slow and make sure you use a hammer to seat them like Gumby said. Sorry I misread this thinking you were talking about the clutch plate bolts.

tripple squares are already off. Im taking drive shaft right off the transmission. I need to unbolt it so I may drop the tranny.

I can get the breaker bar... Do I maybe blast it with heat? Is it that kind of locktite? I would really love to get this pain in the ass shaft off...

walky_talky20
07-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Here is what you do:

- Get a chisel and a big hammer
- Chisel should be flat (perpendicular to the bolt length) and about a quarter to halfway up on the head or so.
- Hit each bolt on *side* of the head with the chisel. Put your purse down and hit it HARD. You should leave a mark on it.
- Hit it again. HARD at the same place.
- Proceed with loosening
- Marvel in how easily the bolt breaks loose

But Walky, what the heck does hitting on the side do?

"Magic" is what the heck it does. Just trust me.

But SRSLY now Mr. Walky, I need to know!

Okay, what you are doing is stretching the bolt. Hitting it on the side bends the head over just a bit. This actually lengthens the bolt ever so slightly, loosening it before you even turn it. If you have one that is particularly stuck, you can hit it *whilst* you apply torque. This adds a sort of impact effect. Usually this isn't necessary because just a few good whacks and it breaks loose with relative ease. You can also hit it from a few different sides so you don't kill the bolt head all on one edge.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Here is what you do:

- Chisel should be flat (perpendicular to the bolt length) and about a quarter to halfway up on the head or so.
- Hit each bolt on *side* of the head with the chisel. Put your purse down and hit it HARD. You should leave a mark on it.
- Proceed with loosening

Okay, what you are doing is stretching the bolt. Hitting it on the side bends the head over just a bit. This actually lengthens the bolt ever so slightly, loosening it before you even turn it. If you have one that is particularly stuck, you can hit it *whilst* you apply torque. This adds a sort of impact effect. Usually this isn't necessary because just a few good whacks and it breaks loose with relative ease.

Walky you owe me if that breaks them... I will try it tomorrow.

Will also go buy some new grade 8 allen bolts to replace them with.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Also... VERY important. Put on your rear parking brake. Break loose the lowest bolt. Get off the ground go in the car let the parking brake off, go back under the car rotate the next bolt to the bottom... then get back up and put the rear parking brake. Do this 6 times over making sure that you are always keeping the bolts easily accessible and not trying to fiddle for the ones in the screwed up angles. You can make this go infinitely faster with your girl friend in the car applying and releasing the parking brake when you tell them.

walky_talky20
07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
You aren't going to break the bolt by hitting it - you aren't trying to bust the head off. It's just enough to leave a little gash in it. Then presto, bolt loosens easily, as if by magic. This trick has never failed me with these driveshaft bolts. It works a treat. I tell you.

That said, there is no warranty expressed or implied with regards to the tips in my above post. Please heed my signature, and remember that I am *not* a mechanic. That said, you've really got nothing to loose by trying this method. If you apply too much torque trying to get these loose, then you will strip out the allen holes and make a little more work for yourself.

And what nynoah said is true, if it wasn't obvious. Use the e-brake to hold crap still so you can actually get some torque on it. A helper is great for that.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Also... VERY important. Put on your rear parking brake. Break loose the lowest bolt. Get off the ground go in the car let the parking brake off, go back under the car rotate the next bolt to the bottom... then get back up and put the rear parking brake. Do this 6 times over making sure that you are always keeping the bolts easily accessible and not trying to fiddle for the ones in the screwed up angles. You can make this go infinitely faster with your girl friend in the car applying and releasing the parking brake when you tell them.

The front of my car is on jack stands... The back end is on ramps... Can't turn them.

Girlfriend? Partner I just spent 6 grand on Audi parts... That IS my girlfriend right now.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Walkies method will work. Just buy new bolts after.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
The front of my car is on jack stands... The back end is on ramps... Can't turn them.

Girlfriend? Partner I just spent 6 grand on Audi parts... That IS my girlfriend right now.

You need to change that then. YOU NEED to have the drive shaft in the rear rotate. You do not want to try to break these bolts loose in the screwed up angles. Put the jack on the rear subframe and put jack stands in the back too. Don't be lazy and just leave it on ramps and hope for the best.

walky_talky20
07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I always just reuse the bolts. They have a few marks on the sides, but they're good to go. Hitting them first reduces wear on the allen holes so they can be reused without issue.

But if you have replacements available, that's great.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
You need to change that then. YOU NEED to have the drive shaft in the rear rotate. You do not want to try to break these bolts loose in the screwed up angles. Put the jack on the rear subframe and put jack stands in the back too. Don't be lazy and just leave it on ramps and hope for the best.

Will jack it up and take it off the blocks.

Where do i get new bolts? Can I just use M8 grade 8 Allen heads?

nynoah
07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
I am sure ECS sells them or the dealer. I don't picture them costing more than 3 bucks each. But I could be wrong.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 07:19 PM
I am sure ECS sells them or the dealer. I don't picture them costing more than 3 bucks each. But I could be wrong.

Lowes here sells automotive grade 8 allen head M8x1.25's. No idea why they do, but I have bought quite a few for my car from them (my water pump pulley is held together with them now). I need them before tuesday, so ECS is not an option (that and their $100 shipping to Canada).

Brens
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Will jack it up and take it off the blocks.

Where do i get new bolts? Can I just use M8 grade 8 Allen heads?

I ordered all new OEM bolts for most of the important ones when I did my clutch from ECS. Cost was negligible.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I ordered all new OEM bolts for most of the important ones when I did my clutch from ECS. Cost was negligible.

Last thing I ordered from ECS cost me $100 to ship... Not paying that for bolts! I'll drop by Royal Oak Audi and see, if not, Lowes bolts it is!

Brens
07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Ok, dealer should have them, but you'll never find Lowe's bolts holding my driveshaft in.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok, dealer should have them, but you'll never find Lowe's bolts holding my driveshaft in.

They are SAE Grade 8.

walky_talky20
07-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't feel good with anything other than the OEM bolts, at least for that application.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't feel good with anything other than the OEM bolts, at least for that application.

Visting Royal Oak Audi tomorrow of 5th Ave VW, will get bolts. Also going to try your method of chisel smashing the bolt before I get my breaker bar out. This clutchmasters FX400 better be the best thing I've ever touched...

Why aren't the damn bolts triple square's?

seanj130
07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Walky you owe me if that breaks them... I will try it tomorrow.

Will also go buy some new grade 8 allen bolts to replace them with.

You aren't going to break the bolt by hitting it - you aren't trying to bust the head off. It's just enough to leave a little gash in it. Then presto, bolt loosens easily, as if by magic. This trick has never failed me with these driveshaft bolts. It works a treat. I tell you.

That said, there is no warranty expressed or implied with regards to the tips in my above post. Please heed my signature, and remember that I am *not* a mechanic. That said, you've really got nothing to loose by trying this method. If you apply too much torque trying to get these loose, then you will strip out the allen holes and make a little more work for yourself.

And what nynoah said is true, if it wasn't obvious. Use the e-brake to hold crap still so you can actually get some torque on it. A helper is great for that.

Why would someone that has been on the forum for a month come on here and say that walky owes them... If I was walky, meaning had the knowledge and time to help others as he does, I would delete my posts and use my time for someone else...

I NEVER understood that the whole "I am not a mechanic deal" as I thought it was a HUGE joke.. Is now more to cover asses in this day and age. Like holy hell.. I just hope OP was not serious with the Owing portion of this thread..

OP, you should owe everyone that helped you whether or not you fix your car.

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Why would someone that has been on the forum for a month come on here and say that walky owes them... If I was walky, meaning had the knowledge and time to help others as he does, I would delete my posts and use my time for someone else...

I NEVER understood that the whole "I am not a mechanic deal" as I thought it was a HUGE joke.. Is now more to cover asses in this day and age. Like holy hell.. I just hope OP was not serious with the Owing portion of this thread..

OP, you should owe everyone that helped you whether or not you fix your car.

Well someone is a touch sensitive. It was a joke, perhaps you've heard the term before. I could care less if the bolts break, i'll just drop the tranny (I have a tranny jack) and drill them out. This ain't my first VAG car.

That aside I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back with how it comes. I'd love to have the car drivable by tuesday, but im waiting on some USCAR1 to EV14 cables to show before I can drop the bosch GT500's in.

Also the term fix implies it broken. My A4 was in perfect condition, im just stage 3'ing it. No broken bits... Except for the timing belt tensioner, it was boned.

walky_talky20
07-28-2013, 08:49 PM
But I'm actually not a mechanic, though...so there's that.

nynoah
07-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Use your teeth... thats what my mechanic told me to do [up][drive]

ToXicXxX
07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Use your teeth... thats what my mechanic told me to do [up][drive]

My neighbour is a mechanic... All he says is "you're gonna throw a rod, dumbass". He's a good source for triple square sockets though.

nynoah
07-29-2013, 07:08 AM
If you ever want to step up and buy your own triple squares this is the link to a good site that carries most all you will need for VAG cars. http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm

nynoah
07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
which reminds me, if your car has high miles, I would replace the transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid. When I did it for mine, I used audi fluid. It was not too much more and I trust it more than after market. You need a special tool to drain the transmission. Its on that link above.

Brens
07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
So if it's not a big deal if you break them, why create a thread asking how to remove bolts?

ToXicXxX
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
So if it's not a big deal if you break them, why create a thread asking how to remove bolts?

I'd really rather not break them. I just mean if I do I can fix it.

At this point I'm already finding other ways to work.

Brens
07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I just find it odd that someone who doesn't find broken driveshaft bolts a problem to be asking such an elementary question such as how to take bolts off.

seanj130
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
But I'm actually not a mechanic, though...so there's that.

Third time is a charm.. LOL

Scientist
07-29-2013, 12:27 PM
I always just reuse the bolts. They have a few marks on the sides, but they're good to go. Hitting them first reduces wear on the allen holes so they can be reused without issue.

But if you have replacements available, that's great.

Having one of the shafts come lose, TWICE, because the bolts were "stretched" I'd highly recommend getting new bolts.

ToXicXxX
07-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Here is what you do:

- Proceed with loosening

Okay, what you are doing is stretching the bolt. Hitting it on the side bends the head over just a bit. This actually lengthens the bolt ever so slightly, loosening it before you even turn it. If you have one that is particularly stuck, you can hit it *whilst* you apply torque. This adds a sort of impact effect. Usually this isn't necessary because just a few good whacks and it breaks loose with relative ease. You can also hit it from a few different sides so you don't kill the bolt head all on one edge.

Walky I love you so. That worked amazingly! Tranny is dropped!

walky_talky20
07-31-2013, 05:59 AM
I love you too...bro? [;)]

Good luck with rest of your repairs.

FNK
07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
I'd really rather not break them. I just mean if I do I can fix it.

At this point I'm already finding other ways to work.

I know your problem is solve but in case of a stripped bolt/plug in the future;

Get a welding machine, rent/buy one like a 12v unit to plug everywhere, then weld another bolt head on top of it.
Repeat if another strip, etc. EASY