PDA

View Full Version : Safe to Drive without an ABS sensor Installed?

jroe
07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi Guys, I'm a new owner of a 99 A4 2.8. I've just de-installed a failed ABS sensor which was a bit of an ordeal. My new copper sheath has not yet arrived and the metal flange bracket broke in the process of removal.

My first question - Is it safe to drive the vehicle with the ABS sensor and it's opening exposing the tone wheel and whatnot

Second - Do I need to find a replacement metal flange for the new sensor to be secure and at the proper distance or does the copper sheath take care of the placement issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jroe
07-27-2013, 03:26 PM
I should add I'm referring the physical hub assembly not on the issue of driving without ABS - I've removed the fuse and have no concerns about this. Just do not know if it's safe for dirt / water to get into the hub assembly tone / wheel area or if this is meant to be sealed

Corrado_Guy
07-27-2013, 03:49 PM
You should be fine, make sure to check if any crap got in there before you put the sensor back in. I know a number of people who have done this on different cars and had no issues. You will be driving the car without ABS because if you lose a sensor the system stops working so keep this in mind.

jroe
07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Awesome - that's exactly what I needed to know - On that note - any ideas for a temporary cover to keep the junk out?