PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cam tensioner and oil pump at same time

bobdiggitydog
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Car: 1998 preface lift A4 1.8t AEB 140,000 miles

The job: replacing the cam chain tensioner and oil pump

Reason: I have been hearing slapping against the valve cover, and figured it had not been done. I also know of sludge and oil pressure problems, so I figured I'd do the oil pump also, just to be sure and to save oil and not doing two separate jobs..

Since I'm doing the oil pump, I figured I'd do the engine mounts as well, specifically the snub mount (going to give the apr a shot). OEM is pretty much shot.

I assume with the age of the car, the left and rights are pretty well done, too and I'll be in there anyway.

Question: any advice on this? I have a Bentley to guide me, and I should have access to a lift.
Anything else you guys think I should replace while I'm in there? I did the t-belt about 10k ago so I won't be putting it into service position.

Any thoughts which one I should replace first? (Tensioner or pump?)

I've read through some DIYs, but just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on the jobs.

sa_seahawker
07-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Oil pump is going to be serious PITA. If the pump still works, I would recommend simply swapping the pick up tube. Cheaper and you don't have to do nearly as much tear down

walky_talky20
07-26-2013, 07:59 PM
X2. Just replace the tube, or clean out the screen. It's a lot of work, though. I really wouldn't go after it unless (A) you are having a measurable oil pressure deficit, or (B) you already have the engine out of the car.

Have you checked the pressure?

Tanzimur
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM
exactly how much of a tear down is it to replace the pump also???

sa_seahawker
07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
IIRC, at a minimum, you're looking at dissembling the front end, dropping subframe, lifting motor, and "squeezing" the pan out (dropping oil pan on a 1.8 motor is a serious PITA).

I almost swapped out my oil pump awhile back, but decided against it. Unless the pump chain is broke or there is something structurally/mechanically wrong, it should be okay. I did swap out the pickup tube though after seeing sludge in he screen

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/sa_seahawker/Audi%20Build/46b1aa3c.jpg