PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell in the inside of my car. Please help.

zandrew
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
I have had a smell of gas on the inside of my car for sometime but it would be periodic. Here lately it has got stronger to the point it made me nauseous yesterday. There is no leak around the inlet of the pump and it does not seem to come from the engin bay. I do notice that when I use the recirc function it helps out significantly.

I do not have any CEL. The only thing I can think it is is that the previous owner installed an infinity bass link using huge screws. The unit was on the ds directly behind the rear seat. He used 4" screws that went through the trunk floor. Is it possible the previous owner drilled holes in the fuel tank or is there some other possibility. I am also sure this is bad for MPG.

redline380
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
have you checked the evap system

AudiSport12
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Was the fuel filter changed at any point? When I did mine, I didn't tighten the banjo bolt well enough or I had debris that didn't allow it to seal well and fuel was leaking by the filter - enough to smell up the whole inside of the car like you describe.

Just a thought.

10kredline
07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Bad fuel tank seal maybe?

Seerlah
07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
My guess is fuel tank seal is not seated correctly. Happened to me. But you said it goes away significantly when you turn on the circulation mods, so my instinct says it is indeed coming from the engine bay. As stated above, you into your evap system.

zandrew
07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
I have tried standing over the fuel tank pump mounting location while revving the car but that did nothing. No smell whatsoever. It happens when I get on it if that makes any difference.

I was thinking it might be the evap system. If I can delete it I will. I will ask the revious owner if he ever had the fuel filter changed.

Also when I open the trunk the smell is much more powerful in it. I went ahead and flipped the mat up and one of the 4 mounting holes does look to have fuel splashed it way through it. The rubber sound deadner is disolving in that one spot.

Seerlah
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
I already said it. Check the seal. It probably is not seated right. With my issue, it was seated right. But I torqued the ring down sort of crooked. No cross threading either. It was just...slightly off. Check yours out.

zandrew
07-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Seerlah how is crooked fuel tank seal going to make gas come out of hole drilled in the trunk about 12" away from it? The previous owner had a bass link installed and it coming from one of the holes drilled to install it.

Seerlah
07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Read it wrong. Thought you referring to one of the screws that hold down the plate to the access door.

DeltaAlpha9
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
In the winter when it's bloody cold out I get a strong smell of fuel coming in the car. The leak is at the nut that connects the fuel line to the fuel rail. Then again this only happens when it's about -30C out so not sure if it is relevant to your fuel smell.

Dallas09
07-28-2013, 09:18 AM
^ +1

zandrew
07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I figured it out. The previous owner drilled holes for the subwoofer and drilled into the gas tank. I filled the car up and that is why I was having the strong smell. I am going to pull the gas tank and epoxy the holes and go ahead and install my Bosch fuel pump. Yeah!!!

seanj130
07-28-2013, 11:37 AM
In the winter when it's bloody cold out I get a strong smell of fuel coming in the car. The leak is at the nut that connects the fuel line to the fuel rail. Then again this only happens when it's about -30C out so not sure if it is relevant to your fuel smell.

-30 Celsius! Us Americans rarely see that.. You crazy Canadians.

Seerlah
07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
I figured it out. The previous owner drilled holes for the subwoofer and drilled into the gas tank. I filled the car up and that is why I was having the strong smell. I am going to pull the gas tank and epoxy the holes and go ahead and install my Bosch fuel pump. Yeah!!!

Use the gas tank patches sold at Autozone.

shinamura
07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
looks like you solved it already. i used to have gas smells, but its was due to exhaust leaking from the flex pipe

Steve Chicago
07-29-2013, 04:49 AM
I figured it out. The previous owner drilled holes for the subwoofer and drilled into the gas tank.

Years ago, a friend of mine bought a used and decommissioned police car that had that same problem. When it was a cop car they had radios or other equipment screwed down in the trunk. They removed all that stuff prior to selling it but didn't fix the holes. There were open screw holes in the floor of the trunk and top of the gas tank. The car smelled of gasoline in the cabin and trunk. Today's cars would probably pop a code for the EVAP system not passing the leak test.