PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Cam Chain Tensioners

nynoah
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Well I just replaced my cam chain tensioner no more than 2 months ago and I can hear the noise starting to return. There are a lot of cheap chinese garbage parts out there and sadly, I think I got one from another member here. So this time, I am not going to skimp (I still can't afford the audi price of 800). I need to know what you guys recommend? What companies have a good deal with a QUALITY part?

Thanks

redline380
07-25-2013, 12:12 PM
repeat failures, such as ones reliant on other systems, can indicate failure somewhere else. in this case, i would ensure the head has proper oil pressure.

if you are positive the head has proper oil pressure, i can only recommend a genuine audi cct, whether it be a known good used one or a brand new one

audi-medic
07-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I went to a junk yard, found the cleanest engine and took it off, at home I submerged the tensioner in hot water and degreaser, and cleaned it. Put it on, done. OEM, no noise and cheap

walky_talky20
07-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Where did you buy your part? Most of them carry a 1 year warranty from date of purchase. I cheaped out the maximum amount and bought one on ebay (I know), but I made sure to get one with a 1 year warranty. I had minor troubles with it regarding the VVT solenoid, so I waited it out and got a brand new one 11 months later. Been going well for a couple years now.

Cgoon009
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Nr=AND(part:Timing+Chain+Tensioner) Not sure if this helps, but mby worth a look?

nynoah
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I am pretty sure everything is fine in my head in regards to oil pressure. The engine was totally rebuilt no more than 6 months ago. Only part that was not replaced was the CCT. I had a spare audi one and sold it with my spare engine to a local member. God I kick myself for that. The replacement, I bought from another Audi member here, so no warranty there. I need to find a good long term solution. Though I can twist wrenches, I have other things I need to do in my life that are for more worth my time. So I want to get a proven good one from a reputable company and be done with it.

Seerlah
07-25-2013, 02:34 PM
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6169_6170_6186_6188_6726_89 83&info=OEM_VAG_058109088K_Cam_Timing_Chain_Tensioner _OEM&products_id=2180

nynoah
07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I am thinking that might be my best solution is to go with MJM. It is the right picture for OEM. Question is, will I get that part or not when I order.

Seerlah
07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Call them and confirm. I have never had one bad transaction with them, and I have had many. Even when one of the piston rings on my engine build (which I also picked up from MJM) was compromised (looked like manufacturer defect), they replaced it with no problem.