PDA

View Full Version : What is this noise I hear?

Milldawg
07-25-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm hearing a noise and can't figure out what it is. It's coming from my driver side front tire area. When driving totally straight there is no noise but when I make right hand turns I hear some sort of "loghh loghh loghh". The harder I turn the wheel to the right, the more prominent the noise. I posted this on another thread several weeks ago and Walky Talky said that it might just be my dust cover for my rotor and that I should try and move that back away from the rotor because it could be nicking that while turning. I took the tire off a couple days ago fiddled around with it and slightly bent it so that it wouldnt rub while turning. In doing so I somewhat loosened the entire caliper and brake system but I think I got that back into place. Anyways, the noise is still there... I really don't think it is a wheel bearing, I've already had those replaced and feel like it isn't the same noise I have heard in the past.
It's so frustrating hearing the noise and not knowing what it is and since my car has been in the shop twice in the last month for new flex pipes and new rear springs. I also used an incorrect type of goo-gone on my once plastidip'd hood and now it looks like the clearcoat is gone. Anyways my patience is wearing low.
As always thanks for any suggestions and all feedback.

c0r3y.af
07-25-2013, 06:46 AM
It would be helpful if you could post a video to YouTube or something like that.

Is your car lowered? It could be your tire rubbing somewhere on the fender or liner.

Believer
07-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Sounds like you're describing a failing CV joint to me. Are any of your CV boots ripped?

woolveren
07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I had a similar issue 1 yr ago and it went away after replacing wheel bearing and axle. Don't know which one caused it since I replaced both on the same day :)

Cgoon009
07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Sounds like you're describing a failing CV joint to me. Are any of your CV boots ripped?

This, you typically hear a clicking or clunk when the CV joint is bad or the boot has lost all its grease. (At full lock) Check the inside of your wheels for the tell tail signs of grease build up. Im not surprised that the problem arose now, just after work on your bearings. The aggressive angles need to work the bearings in can cause the already old rubber to deteriorate, and tear (askmehowiknow). Easy way to tell though, grease will be everywhere, like this:

http://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/dsc_0392.jpg

Milldawg
07-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I will try and post either a photo or video this weekend. I'm also going to try and pull the tire again and see if there are any grease buildups (I don't think that there are but worth a shot) Would a CV Boot be the rubber peice in the photo above with the grease on it? Any idea what a new CV joint runs if a shop does it? I like to work on my car but I don't think I'd be able to replace a CV joint myself.

Cgoon009
07-26-2013, 05:07 AM
1. CV boot is the rubber piece
2. Only buy from Raxles (if you can)
3. Probs around 250 for labor in my area
4. You can totally and most definitely replace this, trust me, i just did it. (with no air tools, and on jack stands)
5. Here is my article on it....http://cleanaudi.com/2013/07/11/cv-joints-replacing-an-axle/
6. There is a DIY in the article, its the one I used.
7. Good luck and happy wrenching [up]

woolveren
07-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Raxle is good choice, you can also get new GKN/Loebro OE axle for the same price from germanautoparts.com

Cgoon009
07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Raxle is good choice, you can also get new GKN/Loebro OE axle for the same price from germanautoparts.com

Well then I take back my statement, good to know! TIL [up]

ianwpb
07-26-2013, 05:22 PM
There's really no reason to buy a new axle. They're way to expensive. Most of the time you should be able to find a used OEM GKN axle on ebay, forum classifieds or online junkyards. Just make sure you pay close attention to the part number, especially the last two letters. For example, B5 axles for the most part were 8D0407271 (left) or 8D0407272 (right). The two letters that follow are what really matter though. "8D0407271DT" refers to the axle for a 96-01 2.8 V6 FWD Manual Transmission Left side and ONLY that combination. Keep this in mind if you buy axles. I bought 2 OEM GKN axles from Tomsforeign.com for $110 shipped. Replace any boots as needed. It's the best/cheapest way to go and you don't have to sacrifice quality by buying Chinese remanufactued/reground axles.