PDA

View Full Version : New power tools! Is this Ryobi Impact Driver powerful enough to work on cars?

10kredline
07-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Just bought a Ryobi combo pack of 18v power tools. Includes an Impact Driver and Drill. Can't afford air tools yet but just wondering if this is powerful enough to remove bolts like on struts and control arms. The driver is rated at 1,500 lbs of torque.

Poopie
07-25-2013, 06:24 AM
thats probably inch lbs. but get yourself some socket adapters and you are pretty much golden on removing a lot of nuts and bolts. You might need to break the nuts and bolts loose first then just zip them off. its still a time saver and much better than sitting there ratcheting back and forth.

Mad Cow
07-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Cordless impact wrenches are useless for anything other than speeding up bolt removal and installation, you won't be breaking anything loose with it that you can't with 1/2" ratchet. They're great for what they are though.

terraflata
07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Cordless impact wrenches are useless for anything other than speeding up bolt removal and installation, you won't be breaking anything loose with it that you can't with 1/2" ratchet. They're great for what they are though.

How about corded ones? I was checking out the Ingersoll Rand Cordless Impact rated at "Power: 780 ft-lbs of maximum reverse torque and 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque from cordless impact wrench that weighs only 6.8 lbs"

But its 450$. The corded ones seem much cheaper. But I dont want this to to be a get what you pay for lesson. My neighbors no like-a da compressor!

Cgoon009
07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
For what its worth, I have always found a breaker bar is the best for breaking bolts. Where my other tools have failed, a three foot steel pipe seems to work

Poopie
07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't even use air impacts anymore. break bolts lose, use electric impact driver with socket adapter to zip it the rest of the way. Save your money for other tools.

my custom built 5hp twin cylinder compressor is very quiet though. i can use it to the weee hours of the morning and my neighbors will not hear it.

BaconBait
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
The second best tool I have is a milwaukee cordless ratchet rated at 35ft lbs. I've saved hours with it. It makes everything easier. Hose clamps, bumper bolts, IKEA furniture.

As far as impact drivers, as Cgoon009 said, breaker bar and a pipe. Liquid wrench lends a hand sometimes as well.

10kredline
07-25-2013, 11:21 AM
The second best tool I have is a milwaukee cordless ratchet rated at 35ft lbs. I've saved hours with it. It makes everything easier. Hose clamps, bumper bolts, IKEA furniture.

As far as impact drivers, as Cgoon009 said, breaker bar and a pipe. Liquid wrench lends a hand sometimes as well.

Yea, that's what I thought also. Bought it thinking that's its an essential tool when working on the car. Then, I'll just use it for a little bit then return it. Gotta love the 90 days return policy at home depot...lol

demonmk2
07-25-2013, 04:34 PM
How about corded ones? I was checking out the Ingersoll Rand Cordless Impact rated at "Power: 780 ft-lbs of maximum reverse torque and 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque from cordless impact wrench that weighs only 6.8 lbs"

But its 450$. The corded ones seem much cheaper. But I dont want this to to be a get what you pay for lesson. My neighbors no like-a da compressor!

those things are freakin awesome! expensive but worth every penny.

Cgoon009
07-26-2013, 05:08 AM
What are your guys thoughts on:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/th/content_26/Q4_2010/c26-B0009HM5OI-1-l.jpg

Just want it for zipping bolts off

ianwpb
07-26-2013, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure which one that is but I've seen a 1/2 inch 300ft lbs dewalt corded drill at HD. From what I read that may be enough to break loose lug bolts. I think it was $150.

Cgoon009
07-26-2013, 06:12 AM
its the same one, was looking at SK, but they are like 500+

10kredline
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
What are your guys thoughts on:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/th/content_26/Q4_2010/c26-B0009HM5OI-1-l.jpg

Just want it for zipping bolts off

Cords are yesterday's tools. Get a cordless one that uses lithium. I just returned the tool but I think it's perfect if you want to just zip off bolts. It's powerful and fast but just not powerful enough to loosen bolts.

10kredline
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm saving up for air tools and doing it right the first time. I just discovered this place called Harbor Freight. Why didn't I find this place a little earlier, I don't know...

nynoah
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
word of advice with Harbor Freight... its chinese crap. You get what you pay for. I shop there for many things. But I am realistic about what is a long term purchase and what is not.

10kredline
07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
word of advice with Harbor Freight... its chinese crap. You get what you pay for. I shop there for many things. But I am realistic about what is a long term purchase and what is not.

Yea, seems like that. I just picked up a low profile floor jack just now. Read good reviews on them though. Wondering if the air tools there are good, thinking about buying just the compressor and hoses there. Any recommendations?

GOODBYNAAIR
07-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm saving up for air tools and doing it right the first time. I just discovered this place called Harbor Freight. Why didn't I find this place a little earlier, I don't know...

yeah HF, only a few of there tools are good, and ryobi is ok for building swing sets or something not really for wheel lugs lol

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-P260/202340589?N=c298Z1awZ1aw#specifications

for an air compressor, something that has a scfm of 5.0 or more so you can run most air tools. cragslist FTW

Nduetime
07-26-2013, 11:33 PM
my custom built 5hp twin cylinder compressor is very quiet though. i can use it to the weee hours of the morning and my neighbors will not hear it.

Off topic, I appologize but I'd love see/read more about this.

ToXicXxX
07-27-2013, 07:09 AM

I got one of those ingersoll's (I sell Schlage a lot, so I have access to the brand, and special ordered it, paid a heck of a lot less). It's quite the tool! I wonder if it could take on the 12 point crank bolt.

seanj130
07-27-2013, 09:46 AM
I have a corded impact driver.. PM Audi_NFS, he watched me disassemble his flood car a year after it had been sitting in a field.. With ease I should ad..

andyrew
07-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I Have the ryobi 18v impact. Use it for everything. Has about 350lbs of force, but dont expect it to pull a crank pully from a honda accord..

Its so portable and usefull that I use it to remove almost every bolt I put my hands on.

If you need more power get a super strong corded. The big bolts you should be untorqing with a breaker bar then zipping off with an impact anyways.

andyrew
07-28-2013, 10:26 AM

I have many many harbor freight tools.

Air compressor,
Grinder,
Buffer,
Sockets/ wrenches
Jack (Low profile steel... Dont bother with Aluminum)
ect.

Socket wrenches of late have been utter crap, gears break way to quickly. I would spend money on good craftsman or similar (I had all my craftsman wrenches stolen from me... replaced with phillidelphia, wrong choice)